The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If anyone finds themselves alone near me, please feel free to send me a message. I'm not making a huge "Christmas dinner" But I'm doing a lovely stew and it's just me, my mom and my little guy here. I'm more than happy to open my home if someone doesn't want to be alone tomorrow.

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I are here with the dogs. I would love to be in Ohio with my parents, but it wasn't in the cards this year. We do no decorations as my husband has some pretty awful Christmas memories (he went in to wake his dad on Christmas morning 20+.years ago & his dad was in a diabetic coma....he died 11 days later).

Hubs is asleep on the sofa & I'm watching Shrek 3. Getting ready to round up the dogs & hit the sack.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Yep, another Christmas orphan here.

I would give anything to visit Christmases past and go and visit my Mom. She died on Sept. 2/08. My sis is shunning family yet again. In the name of He who has forgiven us so much, I am trying not to hate her for doing the predictable thing. I know this, when Sis Dearest does it again, her ability to crush me will not exist anymore. Done!

It's disturbingly nice to know that I am not alone in my alone in my aloneness. I would not wish this on anyone, yet here some of us are, looking at words on a screen; commiserating on being alone not of choice.

He came to give us comfort; Comfort & Joy to one and all!

1 members found this post helpful.

DH and I are here with the critters. Usually spend Christmas Eve with friends, but they split up, so no party there. Family is up in NJ- we will be going up Thursday - Sunday- so will see them then. Friends we sometimes have for Christmas dinner are off to NC and we will have our "Christmas dinner" with them on New Year's Day. So we are babysitting the kitty who just had to have his broken leg amputated last Wednesday (he is doing well in the spare bedroom, but it is making wrapping the gifts to take to NJ hell! LOL!!! That is usually the "Christmas room" at this time of year, but not this year.) And the three corgis are more than willing to help wrap in the living room.
    Love and hugs to all COTH'ers - hope everyone's holiday is at least tolerable, if not happy.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I, too am alone and not by choice. I have been alone before for the holidays for the past three years, but this year it feels different. My phone does not ring, no emails, no texts even though I have two sons and five grandchildren right here in this state. My parents are gone these past three years, have one brother who will give me his obligatory call tomorrow. He calls twice a year, on Christmas and on my birthday. I am in a place that I have lived for twelve years, yet have no friends or acquaintances. I do have my dogs and kitties and my two horses, but there is no holiday spirit here this year. For the first time in my life I wish I could turn back the hands of time.
    Here's hoping that the new year will bring major change in my life. May your holidays be more peaceful and fulfilling.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Are you anywhere near Crestview, Over the Hill? AirForceWife is there. I'd invite you here, but I'm on the other end of the country. I just scanned a horsey holiday card, though. I'll send you one if you'd like? Horses in reindeer hats!

Sort of. We cancelled the traditional Christmas this year due to lack of funds and me starting a new company. Mynusband will be going up to his mothers tomorrow to have dinner with her and his two brothers and their wives. Since it has been made plain to me that I am not welcome I will be habpnging out at home. I'm thinking to pull out some sleigh bells and take horse and dog to a local park for a nice ride. No rangers to yell about an off leash dog so we may have a nice time

Anyone in central nj and want to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by StellaTMK View Post
    Mynusband will be going up to his mothers tomorrow to have dinner with her and his two brothers and their wives. Since it has been made plain to me that I am not welcome I will be habpnging out at home.
    I'm gobsmacked that he would condone this treatment of you. Big hugs to you. Go the park and find some serenity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

2 members found this post helpful.

If any body near me wants something to do, friends are helping me do the barn and then breakfast together, dinner at 6 with family. I am near Winston-Salem. Come on over. Sometimes being alone feels wonderful and sometimes it doesn't, no rhyme or reason to me. Merry Christmas to us all.

I made the choice to be alone this christmas. In years past I have traveled to be with family, but honestly, I'm sick of always being the one on the road and my family can get a bit on the nasty side when drinking.

I'm bummed though because the horse I got two weeks ago is not working out. Don't know yet what will happen with her, I'm going to wait until after the holidays to make a decision.

I hope you all find peace and happiness that will last through the new year.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I'm here north of LA California and I have plenty of previously happy, free ranging chicken and stuffing to share. Just PM me.

3 members found this post helpful.

Merry Christmas everyone

I hope that this new day brings some happier memories and better spirits for those who are alone or lonely today.

I'm working today and going to my dad's after work to exchange gifts. Yesterday I worked and took presents to my brother's house after work. I worked at the barn too (between regular work and brothers) and enjoyed the silence and peace. So comforting to feel warm hairy bodies and to hear the happy munching while the old one eats his grain.

I feel extremely grateful to have what I do and even though I don't feel lonely this year, I sure do remember the years I did.

My mom died in 1995 and my sister died in 2002. I think I had just begun to deal with the holidays again when my sister died. I felt alone for a long time - I could be in a room with 40 other people and not feel it. Now it just depends on the year - some years I don't like being alone & other years I don't want to be around anyone at all.

My thoughts and prayers are with all who need them.

Stephanie

WarAdmiral, if you can leave that tree up til New Year's, I would be happy to put a present under it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm alone with my dog on Christmas and I'm fine with it. Did the Christmas thing with family last night and it went by quickly and painlessly.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm alone today! Last night I did the visit the parents thing, which can be depressing for me as their little retirement home just isn't the same as the old homestead at Christmas. But I'm the only kid nearby & feel good for doing my part to cheer them up. Plus this is the first year in a long time we were financially secure enough to exchange small presents!

Today all on my own. Plan to take the 3 dogs for a lonnnnggg walk at the park. We need exercise to work off calories - Santa Dog got a bit out of hand with gift giving to the boofers this year .

Yep. Husband playing golf. Me and the dogs/cats.

Husband went back to MI to do the usual holiday stuff with his family and kids. I stayed home. He's getting back tonight. I thought that it would be a real late deal and had mentioned it to a gal I just met last week here...she's riding my horse. Anyway, she and her SO invited me/us over for dinner. I'm pretty excited. Gives me a good reason to cook and make some more new friends.

The funny thing? I was pretty much single for 10 years' worth of Christmases and never spent a single one alone. I was either at a friends' family for celebrations or I was working hospice and did our own little celebration. This is the very first year...and I'm married.

Lex, I don't know when we're going to do our Xmas dinner...but as soon as I know, you're invited. Kids won't be here til next Sunday so it will likely be sometime that week.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Don't worry Love. My calendar is clear. Let me know if you want me to bring over Sammy so I can try to give him a bath to make him snuggly soft. I don't want you to have too much to handle on your plate with your two dogs and mine along with everything else so I won't bring him over unless you say it's okay.

Oh yeah, he's fine. Totally. There may be a 4th dog as well, but she's also very good. It will be a lot in a small space, but I'm a fan of "the more the merrier" and that includes the puppers.

I should have a better plan by this weekend.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Let me know if there's anything I can bring. I've got some beer taking up space as well as various other things for parties including disposable cups and plates.

I'm alone but surrounded by cats. I guess that makes me the crazy cat lady. LOL! My SO will probably stop by after he visits his parents. I was invited but didn't attend due to different reasons. Plus, the weather is getting a little scary.

I'll be cooking a turkey and all the fixings later. I like to cook for myself on the holidays. I find it fun and filling.