The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anybody else alone this Christmas?

Thought I'd ask...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Yep.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

No, but frankly, I wouldn't mind if I were!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep. Friend/barn lease partner traveled to spend Christmas with her mom and sister. I went to MY mom and sisters over Thanksgiving. We each had a week away and a week of all horse chores all the time!

When it's my turn for barn duty I enter a "zone". I turned down an invitation to Christmas dinner -- would actually rather hunker down here with the animals.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Blessings of the season to all y'all. Some years are easier than others but I'm having a hard time this year and don't mind admitting it. People always SAY what Guin said, but let me assure you, Guin, it's not so pleasant as all that...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Yes and no. Will be with family in the evening (was alone last year) but traveling alone all day, Charlotte to Boston with a layover in Chicago.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Yup. Much work to be done tomorrow...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Yep. Family falling apart and won't come here. Can't get to my brother's because SO won't go and insists on working, and I need to be back to finish the root canal. It IS just another day, but it's hard not to have nothing special. Hopefully it won't be pouring tomorrow and I can get out to see my two year old without traffic and ride my other ones.

Yes, and feeling guilty about turning down dinner tomorrow so I can ride instead! But I like to play Christmas Day by ear . Wednesday when it rains it's Les Miserables.
    Too bad we aren't all close enough to ride together.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thankfully. I turned down an invitation from friends to go see Les Miserables. That's just not my idea of a movie to see on Christmas Day. I've been on a decluttering spree the past month. I have two cardboard boxes left and I think that, tomorrow, I'll find stuff to fill them. Then, one more trip to GoodWill later this week. I can actually get something from my cupboards now without having to move three other things.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

alone as in without human companionship.

But not lonely.

I enjoy the quiet.
    i did not go to the family gathering. It has been raining for two days and it is suppost to be bad weather tonight, though later, but I don't like driving in the dark when it rains or freezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

No, not exactly, my housemate is off work for a few days so she's here all the time. I have to work though, so out the door at 5am for me. We're not doing anything 'christmas-y' though.

Thinking of everyone who is either alone or not with the people/in the place they'd like to be.

Yes, I am alone other than my dogs, and feeling more than a bit sad about it. I was not invited to the place I usually spend Christmas Eve, nor have I heard anything about Christmas Day plans there either. It's been a hard year, and being alone for Christmas doesn't help matters any.

I'm alone tonight and so thankful for the quiet. The next few days are going to be very chaotic.....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

In my former career, I used to spend Christmas either working or sleeping. But nowadays I get to spend the day with family. Didn't think it was that important til I got older.
    For those of you spending Christmas alone, if by choice, have a wonderful day doing what you like to do. For those that have no choice, prayers and blessings sent your way. I didn't realize how much I value my family until I couldn't spend the day with them. Merry Christmas to everyone regardless of where you end up.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

1 members found this post helpful.

Pretty much. I already had the family get together last Sunday (first time I got to do it in years) - and that was kind of nice having it "over with". Will be having dinner tomorrow at "the home" (which is pretty nice) with my mother, and brother and SIL. But mostly hanging out by myself. Son has a girlfriend and each year now they are spending it with her family.

Frankly not as sad about being alone this year as last, as old relationship was in the "will we, won't we get back together" stages still.

Plus this year I have presents wrapped for the cat and dog to open, and plan on visiting my OTTB first thing in the morning to fill up his stocking!

The sad thing is not sure of finances, and whether or not I'll still have this house next year, or will have to sell. Having had to move dozens of times in my life, have done what I can to hang on to my own place, but it's really expensive - even though it's not my ideal house, it is mine, and has been for 10 years. Hate the thought of an apartment, even if it will mean I still have the horse. But also excited about a business I'm just opening so who knows?!?

The horse is sound (knock on wood) and happy at the new barn he moved to this spring. I'm in one piece. My freezer is stuffed (one benefit to having done "the dinner"!) lots of good books around me, and old movies on the DVR.

Hoping all of the rest of you have a peaceful and lovely day. I'll be on here and checking in from time to time. Always glad to have the COTH company.

And I'm also thinking about catching a couple of movies soon. Been too long. Lots to see!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yes and no. My DH was suppose to be off today but got called in. He'll get home about 8:30 and works tomorrow. Girls are with their families. My son lives here but isn't really company. The family will get together the weekend after new Years. So that is my Christmas. I've had enough uncomfortable Christmases with in-laws to not mine being "alone". I've worked Christmases in the past. Stayed home while the family went to the in-laws to take care of animals. I am fine here. May even wrap some packages tomorrow. I don't enjoy it that much.

Another "yep" here. Just dogs and horses for company on The Big Eve and The Big Day. And totally fine with it.

Many hugs to those who are alone and not happy about it. This can be such a hard time of year for you guys.
    Don\'t worry, be Haffy

I'm working 16 hours today and 16 hours tomorrow, sleeping in the couple of hours between shifts. Does that count? It's my normal shift (8 hours on, 8 off, 16 on, 8 off, 16 on-makes 40 hours between Sunday night and Wednesday morning). My parents are off visiting some of my other siblings in Texas. So, I wouldn't have any family to be with anyways.

You may be alone, but you shouldn't feel lonely. All your friends are here
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.