The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Happy Holidays from Truck will not start land !

Went out this am and my 2003 diesel cranks but will not start. Not the battery /charging system.

Garage doesn't open until Wednesday am and of course I have a rig I have to meet an hour away first thing that am.

OH did I mention its my only vehicle.

Any truck guru's out there have any clues ?
    Last edited by Lynnwood; Dec. 24, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

How far out in the boonies are you? Enterprise rental cars will deliver a car to your house.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Not far out but all the local hubs were closed the closest open was the airport which is about an hour from my house, they of course not willing to deliver.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Mine did that and it was a corroded battery cable. It would crank and crank but not start. (truck had 350k miles or so at that point)
    Fuel starvation also comes to mind.
    Unfortunately none of the things I can think of are easy fixes.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Does your truck have a block heater? Plug it in for a few hours. If no plug for the block heater maybe a ceramic heater in the engine bay... A diesel starts much easier when warm. A battery charger will help too.

The object is to have max crank speed and engine heat for starting. Any other solutions require either mechanical skills or tools.

What's the brand of the truck and what engine?

One of the previous posts was a good tip about getting some heat to the engine. If you have a tarp, place a ceramic heater under the engine compartment and place the tarp over like a tent. Make sure your battery is fully up and charged as the newer engines need the full voltage to open the electronic injectors and the cranking has to turn over enough to produce the oil psi necessary to open the injectors (Fords of that year). If it's rather chilly, then you could have a fuel gel problem which tarping the truck would definately help. After it does start, make sure you use a diesel additive such as Stanadyne or anything that prevents gelling. The new bio diesel is awful stuff along with the removal of the sulfer does not allow the natural lubrication of the high pressure fuel pump. Use it with every fueling and it will save you a lot of woes. Hope this helps.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good advice, dklime! you should be a mechanic.....

Quote Originally Posted by dklime View Post
    What's the brand of the truck and what engine?
    Ford 2003 dreaded 6.0L Its never given me an ounce of trouble have 130,000 on it. We assumed it was a cold issue it did it last night as well ran a hair dryer on the engine for a while it finally started and ran fine..added Diesel 911 drove it for a few hours. Ran great started with no issues. Came out this am to no start again this time nothing will get it going.

Ah, yes, the "dreaded 6.0"! Unless you've noticed poor previous engine performance, then I would be hesitant to be worried of serious problems. Now, remember, the new diesel fuel can be a real problem. Don't be afraid to use too much additive. Your truck probably did run okay as long as the diesel was flowing regularly, however, if there isn't enough additive to keep the fuel viscosity at a level of normal flow under warmer temps, then it will gel and, poof! Start problems. Where I reside, we are afforded the opportunity of a higher grade fuel as opposed to the #2. The 6.0 is very temperamental when it comes to cold weather since it takes 500psi to open the injectors. If the oil is real cold and "stiff" it won't travel through micro size ports well to open the injectors. Again, bio fuel has a lot higher gel problem. Run a lot more additive than what is on the label recommendations. Remember, bio fuel comes from old french fry grease and such. Treat as such. Good Luck!

Glow plugs.... just had to have one of them (I think) replaced on ours last week.
    It would crank and crank and not turn over. I did turn out that the batteries needed to be replaced as well, but the real problem was the glow plugs.

Oh, and we do plug it in every night. During the day we do as well if it's really cold.
    Last edited by CDE Driver; Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: More info.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Yep this is the first engine issue I've had with it. A few months ago it chugged a bit when I cold started it and it turned out to be that whomever had done my last oil change over filled it by a TON. Had the oil and all the filters replaced and Rev X added and its run great since. This was literally out of the blue One fairly cold night next am started great one more cold night ..next afternoon evening would not start..got it running...last nights temps were in the low 50's so I assumed it would not be an issue. Maybe I'll go turn the hair dryer on......

CDE driver might have a point. You might have the glow plugs tested. They do go bad from time to time and one usually won't notice it until they are all needed. However, I think I would have a tendency to use something a with a little more gusto than a hair dryer. If it's fairly cold, that's like urinating on a forest fire. Just a suggestion.

:P Point taken however I'm in FL. I need a heater here about as often as someone in Antarctica needs a swim suit !

lol! I've found that when one or two glow plugs go bad, one can usually get a way with it until the temps drop down to the 50's or so. (bio diesel will start to gel at suprisingly unexpected temps). If you have to use your hair dryer, try following the lines a long the frame from the fuel tank. I know this will call for getting under the truck but I think you will find quicker success.

Well it was the FICM. We are starting 1k later ..sigh.