The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am so sorry for your loss and I don't blame you for questioning the turn out... but you are damned if you do and damned if you don't IMO. I got several more years out of my oldster from 24/7 turnout and MSM, when he was stalled he could hardly walk out of his stall in the AM.

My heart horse had a horrible partial degloving accident from being ran through a fence by a pasture mate a few years ago... and I definitely questioned it. If she had been in a stall at night perhaps it wouldn't have happened. But we always wonder what if and feel guilty, I think that is what makes us good owners... how much we care.

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially on a day which is supposed to be filled with such happiness.

Hugs and peace for you from VA - you were doing what was best for her. So sorry for your loss.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself. I lost my heart horse last summer to a broken femur. It looked like he broke it just getting up from a nap. They're tough and fragile all at the same time.

Godspeed.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

So sorry for your loss at the time of year you are supposed to be happy. "Stuff" happens when you own horses...she could have gotten cast in her cozy stall instead. No blame...just the nature of horses.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

So very sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself, sometimes stuff just happens. Hugs and prayers.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I do agree with everyone else here. Horses will kill themselves in a stall just as easily as in the pasture or paddock, and most prefer to live out.
    There is no way to keep them from getting hurt. When your stable management, fencing, etc are up to snuff, that is all you can do.

Condolences and Best Wishes from Colorado.

I'm so sorry!!! It sucks to lose your heart horse. But don't second guess yourself...you did what most of us would choose for our horse, the freedom to be a horse.

So sorry this happened to you...especially on Christmas. :-( I know it's hard, but try not to feel guilty. You did NOTHING wrong. She was lucky to have a person who loved and cared for her so much.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I'm so sorry.... Sending big hugs and healing vibes to you during this difficult time. You made the right choice, the old ones especially love living outdoors and having space to roam 24/7 really helps their creaky bones and keeps them moving along.

Accidents happen. Be grateful your mare made the decision for you and be thankful that you were there to help her and give her one last gift - the gift of never-ending freedom at the Rainbow Bridge.

So very sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else, please don't feel guilty. You were giving her a very nice life and accidents do happen. HUGS.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Our old horse spends most of his time out, but you have to be so careful who you turn them out with. Noticed one of the younger horses kicking its heels up and changed his pasture IMMEDIATELY. No guarantees no matter what though...

Jennifer

Sorry. You gave her a good life. I lost a dear old mare, the "grandchild-safe" horse, when I discovered her standing in the pasture one day with a broken leg. She was only out with another mare, they loved each other, no mark on the old girl. Vet said they can get osteoporosis just like we do, it was probably just a mis-step. Neither of those mares would have been romping around.

You did not fail your horse. We do the best we can for them, but stuff still happens....

So so sorry for your loss and I know how much the sudden loss of an old friend hurts. I lost my 23 year old mare 2 years ago to a fractured humerus. To this day, I have no idea how it happened (pastured by herself, though shared fence line with other animals, level ground, no obvious holes/collision with objects/signs of struggle etc). I do know my mare, who spent her early days (before becoming my real life BES) as a show horse at a facility with NO turnout, loved pasture living and I'm sure yours did too.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Our old horse spends most of his time out, but you have to be so careful who you turn them out with. Noticed one of the younger horses kicking its heels up and changed his pasture IMMEDIATELY. No guarantees no matter what though...

Jennifer
    And the point of that post was.....?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I think it is good to note that with an older or sick horse you need to monitor who they are turned out with. I don't think that comment was intended to hurt the OP or point a finger of blame.

OP, I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't seem to matter if they are young or old, losing a horse is still a heartbreaker. Yesterday (Christmas day) I found the old gelding at the barn I board at had died in the pasture. He hadn't been doing well lately and his young owner was trying different things to keep him comfortable. I know she is devasted, all you can do is what you think is rght and the best for your horse.

Your horse was a Christmas Angel going home. Take care.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Default You can feel sad/bad, but please don't feel guilty

Even million dollar babies get catastrophic injuries in turn out. Some of them get hurt in freak stall accidents, in cross ties, you name it.

You gave your old girl the best life for a horse. She got to be as close to her natural life as it is possible. You were there for her as Mother Nature wouldn't have been at the end to ease her pain.

You are a good horse mom.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bad things happen to good horses and good people.
    No matter what we do to protect them, life changes in a heartbeat.
    So sorry for your pain.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

No one and no animal dies one minute before it's time. No life is without risk, whether in a stall or a pasture, or heck just getting out of bed.

So very sorry for your loss.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't second guess yourself. You did what you thought best for your horse and what would be recommended for her health and happiness. Not being blessed with the ability to see the future, that's all any of us can do. ((((((HUGS))))))
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?