The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Help! Shopping from British online tack shops

I have my heart set on a Mark Todd short event girth. I ordered one from "Discount Equestrian UK" only to learn from the Horse and Hound forums that Discount EQ has a terrible reputation for failing to deliver products. when I ordered I received confirmation of my order and was told I would be contacted to arrange international shipping, but when a week had passed I emailed them only to receive a form reply that their offices were closed until Jan 3rd. I will attempt to follow up after the holidays but after reading the horror stories on H&H I am wondering about going after a credit card refund and trying another store. On the note, any recommendations for more reputable online stores? I am only familiar with Rideaway and they are out of stock for this particular item. Why I only thought to research Discount EQ AFTER I had already paid I don't know..... Sigh. I mean even the name sounds suspect... Live and learn.

Since it really screws over a business to have a forced refund, at least give them the chance to fix it, or do the cancellation the right way and let them handle it, not the credit card company. Myself, I'd give them a little extra time, since it's a bad time of year to be ordering things.

Then go to this thread:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-UK-Tack-Shops

Agree. ^

We are used to 24/7 customer service, but Europe doesn't operate that way. I once had to wait four weeks for some breeches from Amira (very reputable, by the way) because all the factories shut down in August for vacation.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Ok this is exactly the reassurance I needed... I certainly hope I can follow up w the original company as they did have by far the best price..

I'd at least give them a chance. Heck, there are lots of US based companies that I hear people griping about all the time. I have never had an issue ordering from any of them. Your experience might be fine.

Try Dogwood, or Old Dairy Saddlery- anything but Discount Equestrian!!!
    Im from England- Don't bite!

Quote Originally Posted by prittstick View Post
    Try Dogwood, or Old Dairy Saddlery- anything but Discount Equestrian!!!
    Do you have any experience w either Derby House or Equestrian Clearance?

I would steer clear of DH unless you deal direct over the phone with them and not order via the internet. They had a massive expansion a few years ago and logistics certainly wasnt their strong point. I do believe I have 2 pairs of Pikeur breeches on back order from maybe 3 years ago?!! EC is fabulous to deal with, they have a large inventory and have recently started stocking even more brands too so a thumbs up for them.
    Im from England- Don't bite!

I've had good luck with Equestrian Clearance. Very easy to deal with.

Default Worldwide Tack

I have used Worldwide several times in the past, fast service, very responsive re. email followup. I have not had any problems so don't know about conflict resolution. I buy Gel-eeze products from them since even with international shipping the products are 50% less than Dover!