The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

[QUOTE=S1969;6737067]
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

So, they come from unlicensed gun dealers - maybe they are the ones who should have their names made public on the internet instead of those who bought them legally.

I have no objection to making legal gun sales more stringent - it is difficult to legally buy a pistol in NY but I don't believe it is as easy in other states. I have no objection to making other firearms more stringent to buy, either. Maybe that would be the better solution than publically "outing" those people that jumped through the hoops required in NY?
    I totally agree. I'm actually pretty horrified that a newspaper posted a list of gun owners...they were the responsible ones who purchased their guns from a licensed gun dealer, submitted to a background check and own a licensed gun.

It's the other ones we have to worry about. The online gun sales, the unlicensed gun sellers and gun shows.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

http://skeptikai.com/2012/07/30/does...ience-answers/

"[December 20 Update 2: A 2001 study suggests that guns decrease safety for women much more than men. "This research updates and extends former research conducted on this issue, based on the surveys of 1989 and 1992. [. . .] The results show strong correlations between the presence of guns in the home and suicide committed with a gun, rates of gun-related homicide that involved female victims, and gun-related assault. [. . .] The study concluded that guns in the home were an important risk factor in suicide with guns, as well as a threat to women, especially female partners; whereas, guns’ role in homicide of male victims and street crime (such as robbery) were much less prominent. Also, the usual focus on handguns may lead to underestimates of the role of other types of guns.”]"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post
    I am a gun owner. I am for the right to keep and bear arms. I do not agree in crazies, semi-lunatics and those with any major crimes against othesr having the right to own or even have access to fireararms. It puts a bad name to those who own lawfully.
    this.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;6737128]
    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

I totally agree. I'm actually pretty horrified that a newspaper posted a list of gun owners...they were the responsible ones who purchased their guns from a licensed gun dealer, submitted to a background check and own a licensed gun.

It's the other ones we have to worry about. The online gun sales, the unlicensed gun sellers and gun shows.
    Don't worry. Someone decided to publish the same type of information AND MORE on the reporter and publisher of this article.

http://christopherfountain.wordpress...for-the-goose/

7 members found this post helpful.

It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

I wonder if the staff of the Journal and
    Reporter
    Dwight R Worley
    23006 139 Ave
    Springfield Gardens, NY 11413
    Phone: (718) 527-0832
    has changed their view on publishing personal information of record now that theirs has been "outed"

If anyone cares to see more, here's a link to a source .. http://www.dethguild.com/what-goes-a...k-a-rule-four/

Hosspuller, Thanks for that information and phone number. Hope he gets lots of phone calls. Tit for tat. I find it incomprehensible that we don't publish names and addresses of know child molesters in newspapers, but we can do that for gun owners?? What??
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Amazing that they did this, here in Montana our local channel actually tried to see if this information was available to the general public and it is NOT. Yay! The only thing people require a permit for is a concealed carry permit, and that information is not available. So far, NY's laws hardly seem "protective" (bad guys seem to have no trouble getting guns and good guys get "outed", way to go!!) so not terribly surprising that other areas are not excited about adopting thes policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    Hosspuller, Thanks for that information and phone number. Hope he gets lots of phone calls. Tit for tat. I find it incomprehensible that we don't publish names and addresses of know child molesters in newspapers, but we can do that for gun owners?? What??
    Sure, but what is wrong for one, gun owners personal information wholesale out there, is as wrong for the others, those newspeople's personal information now out there for any crazy one to threaten or worse, harm them.

I think this is a lesson for all, think before you act.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Sure, but what is wrong for one, gun owners personal information wholesale out there, is as wrong for the others, those newspeople's personal information now out there for any crazy one to threaten or worse, harm them.

I think this is a lesson for all, think before you act.
    "...those Law abiding Gun owner's personal information now out there for any crazy one to threaten or worse, harm them."

Every action has a reaction. Some are unintended or unforseen. The Journal has made a very good point on the gun debate... Unintended - definitely! regarding their personal information...

Quote Originally Posted by Freespool86 View Post
    This statement has rendered me speechless. ESG covered my thoughts very well. I grew up with guns in the house, every single man I've dated has had guns. Never once was a gun misused or was anyone threatened with a gun. Never once was there any violence or back-wash of violence in any household that I've been in that has owned guns. Where in the world did you find your "facts"?!
    Ditto this. My dad has guns, never once has he been a gun-wielding maniac towards my mom.

My friend's husband carries concealed, for cripe's sakes. He adores her. They've been together around 10 years now. But I better let her know she's at a high risk of him blowing her head off, despite, you know, no history of violence between them.

A gun is only as dangerous as the person holding it makes it to be.

ETA - For what it's worth, I don't own a gun. I've never even shot a gun. I know little about them...I didn't inherit the hunting gene the rest of my family has (way too early, way too cold for me!). But I've known lots of responsible gun owners.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Geesh, a news group publishing a list of subgroup of people is in my opinion, one tiny step shy of hate crime; worse, because they hide behind the powers of media to conceal their real motive, which is to divide a society and target one group of humans under a flimsy righteous mask. These are the worst kind of bullies.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Geesh, a news group publishing a list of subgroup of people is in my opinion, one tiny step shy of hate crime; worse, because they hide behind the powers of media to conceal their real motive, which is to target one group of humans under a flimsy righteous mask. These are the worst kind of bullies.
    True, I didn't think to consider that hate crime, but it is right on.

I think it probably is something they could be sued over, right of free speech stops short of crying fire in a crowded place and this seems about the same, asking for someone to harm, ostracize those listed.

If it's public information, it can't be illegal to publish it, but someone sure didn't use the sense they were born with, did they? I just don't know what they hoped to accomplish.

Well, as a sidelight, I think parents who have been in the habit of sending Junior over to neighbors homes for play dates may now take a moment to quietly ask where the guns are stored, and if they are locked. Really, they would be remiss if they did not do this. They are also going to take a second look at that list, and if the crazy neighbor down the road's name is on it, they will adopt a stronger policy of 'treat with respect, but do not engage'.

The area of the country this was published in is a mixed area of pro/anti gun folks, so unlike areas where gun ownership is a matter of course and children are educated about responsible gun ownership, use and storage, in this area of the country, that is not so much the case. The anti's are not about to teach any of this in any way, shape or form and want to keep their kids away from it, and the pro's will teach it as a matter of responsible gun ownership. Which leads to problems.

Some years back downstate, one child had a friend over to the house, I would say both were in the 10-11 year old age group. They quietly sneaked upstairs to the grandfather's room, the grandchild took the gun down out of the case, pointed at his friend, pulled the trigger and killed him. The deceased child's parents had no idea there were guns in the house. Now in another region of the country, the fact that the gun was there would be commonplace, and the everyone would simply assume the case was locked. Here, that is not necessarily the case. It is a real question of who owns them, and who does not.

I assume that more people around me than I would ever know are armed. If a list like this came out of my area, I wouldn't really give two $hits. But the ones whose names would be on the list would be screaming from the embarrassment of being outed in their affluent neighborhoods, as the New Yorker's were, while parents in those same neighborhoods would be intently scanning the list to make sure Junior's play dates are secure, or ending Junior's visits to that home altogether. And quietly thanking the publisher for letting them know who was who in their neighborhood. That's simply the way it is up here. I can't work up much anger towards the publisher here. Given the hodge-podge of those who have got guns up here, and those who don't, I'd want to know whether the home I was sending my kid into had them, and if the owners had them responsibly stored and locked. So for some parents, the list proved to have a silver lining in it.

And, given the region of the country involved, I do not think Wendi jumped the shark. I think she has a valid point.
    Last edited by Chief2; Dec. 27, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

It wasn't a current list of where there are actually guns; it was a list of addresses where someone at some point had applied for a gun permit. People had moved and died in some cases, outdated info.

Because it wasn't accurate information you have to look at the intent of the paper and I think it was to fan some flames of divisiveness.

Well, that's too bad, then. Still, parents are going to look at this and ask questions in their neighborhoods. And I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. So as I said, for some, a silver lining in it all exists.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post

But feel free to carry on being scandalized.
    Yep. I don't get the scandalized part at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post

It gives those who don't believe in our country's rights a reason to go after another innocent LAW ABIDING citizen.
    really? who is going to "go after" a gun owner just because they own guns?

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    The information is public knowledge but the intent of the "newspaper" was anything but benign. The intent was to single out and harass people. Lohud certainly has freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment. They should be respectful of the people's privacy that avail themselves of their second amendment rights.

I don't care what the issue is, targeting people so that they can be harassed is wrong. Lohud is the worst type of "news" media for doing this.
    Harassment is a crime. If an individual falls into the victim portion of that area, by all means, have the person harassing them arrested.