The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wendy has jumped the shark.

5 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    it's public knowledge anyway, so it's not "wrong". It's a public service- now you can easily get the information instead of looking for it.
    Since gun owners are much more likely to die by violence than non-gun-owners, it's doing a public service- sane people can avoid living near or associating with these people, in hopes of not being caught in the backwash of violence. Women who date men who own guns are likely to be killed by those guns, so now they can check and not-date men who own guns and pre-emptively improve their safety. If you have children, now you can make sure your children don't go anywhere near a household that has guns- kids tend to be killed in accidents involving guns. You don't want your kid playing with his friends in a house that has that guns in it.
    This statement has rendered me speechless. ESG covered my thoughts very well. I grew up with guns in the house, every single man I've dated has had guns. Never once was a gun misused or was anyone threatened with a gun. Never once was there any violence or back-wash of violence in any household that I've been in that has owned guns. Where in the world did you find your "facts"?!
    Last edited by Freespool86; Dec. 25, 2012 at 04:48 AM.

9 members found this post helpful.

The information is public knowledge but the intent of the "newspaper" was anything but benign. The intent was to single out and harass people. Lohud certainly has freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment. They should be respectful of the people's privacy that avail themselves of their second amendment rights.

I don't care what the issue is, targeting people so that they can be harassed is wrong. Lohud is the worst type of "news" media for doing this.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

8 members found this post helpful.

Factoid from the CDC
    Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.

3 members found this post helpful.

A person can get a wealth of info via public records...that shouldn't be printed and mass distributed to the public.

Just because it's in public records does not mean it's often looked up. If someone goes into a town hall, much of the information in many states requires the person to sign in before accessing the vault.

Those comfie with it being public record and no biggie...would you like your public recods printed? Can we see your property layout and (in many states) blueprints? Taxes and how current you are on those? How about your entire driver's record? Get pulled over for crappy driving ever? Ever file for bankruptcy? How about went through any civil court? (it's not just criminal records ya know) Ooo, wait! Let's publish those voter files! Wealth of info on those! Howzabout census info?

Publishing where to find firearms is wrong...legal, but wrong.

Similar to making up ridiculous rumors and posting those as facts online. Women and children are not likely to be killed by firearms. WTH?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

What despicable, bullying, and harassing behavior! Extremists are such a PITA. In this country people have the right to have arms in their houses regardless of whether everybody agrees with it. To out them is so wrong and makes the perpetrators look worse than they thought they could make these people look. It makes their targets victims and them the harassers.

And as for this public record nonsense. Of course my name, number and address are a matter of public record, but I'd be sorely irritated if you posted them in the newspaper.

And just to make this specifically about guns -if people feel concerned enough to have arms in their houses for protection how does making them feel more vulnerable discourage them from keeping arms in their houses for protection?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by Freespool86 View Post
    This statement has rendered me speechless. ESG covered my thoughts very well. I grew up with guns in the house, every single man I've dated has had guns. Never once was a gun misused or was anyone threatened with a gun. Never once was there any violence or back-wash of violence in any household that I've been in that has owned guns. Where in the world did you find your "facts"?!
    About the same mindset that published those names.

I think it is bad enough that crazies shoot/bomb/burn people up.
    Do we really need to encourage them?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!

Haha....great quote!!!

Gun owners are more likely to die by violence....please give me that source. Maybe you mean illegal gun owners? That might be true....people who steal guns might be more likely to encounter violence. As for the rest of upstate NY (to be honest, it would be harder to find someone in my neighborhood that doesn't own a gun, I would bet -- lots of hunters, and lots of farms protecting livestock)....I don't hear about too many violent deaths. Well, there was the guy that fell out of his tree stand across the road....that probably felt violent to him.

Women who date men who own guns are likely to be killed by those guns, so now they can check and not-date men who own guns and pre-emptively improve their safety.

Where's your research to back that up, I'm very curious! Seriously, how sexist. What about men? Should men date women who own guns, or is that inherently dangerous also? Probably not, I'm sure your argument is all about poor wittle wimmins.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

6 members found this post helpful.

And Wendy, I'm not totally unsympathetic. How about teaching your kid to swim or at least tread water and instilling him to leave and come home if his little friend ever shows him a gun (because little ones should not be touching guns without a grownup there, IMO).
    When I was a kid, we were not allowed to have toys that were guns and were never allowed to point a toy at someone else. Really. I got a toy that shot eraser tips and wasn't allowed to aim it at anything animate.
    That was my Mom, being smart. That rule about not aiming things at people was smart.
    I'm not against gun ownership, it's not a fit for my life or lifestyle.
    Last edited by Chall; Dec. 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

That media mindset is one of the reasons it's often referred to as "The People's Republik of New York".

But it easily backfires. Now the criminals know which houses they can safely break into.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

- kids tend to be killed in accidents involving guns. You don't want your kid playing with his friends in a house that has that guns in it.
    Wendy, my son was killed by a drunk driver... along with about 15,000 others each year

"Outing" implies that the person has done something wrong. They haven't. That said, I don't think having their personal info splashed across the paper is right. Makes the paper come of as all "judgey pants".

I guess I outed myself when I got my NRA car tag. My thought is that if someone is stupid enough to break into a house with a car with an NRA tag parked in the drive, well...

And as for knowing what house to break into??? I'd think I would be more worried about breaking into a house that DID have guns. And, BTW, most of my guns are locked up and the other would be traveling with me but I let my carry permit expire so that gun stays home until I get that fixed.

[QUOTE=BaroquePony;6736750]http://www.wagv.org/gun-statistics.php

I'd be curious to know how many of the statistics in this link actually compare legally obtained firearms (especially handguns) v. illegally obtained? Those people that go through legal channels to obtain a pistol permit are probably not the ones committing the majority of crimes in these statistics.

I realize that illegally obtained weapons must come from *somewhere*....so perhaps legal gun owners who do not store their weapons safely and they are stolen...but I think that is a valid part of the necessary research. Who is committing the crimes? With what type of weapons? And where did they come from? I'm sure my 68 year old pistol-owning dad isn't really the big threat.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Actually, according to a Johns Hopkins study on guns, no she hasn't. Although I do believe her post was a bit tongue in cheek.

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/center...02512_CGPR.pdf
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

[QUOTE=S1969;6737028]
    Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    http://www.wagv.org/gun-statistics.php

I'd be curious to know how many of the statistics in this link actually compare legally obtained firearms (especially handguns) v. illegally obtained? Those people that go through legal channels to obtain a pistol permit are probably not the ones committing the majority of crimes in these statistics.

I realize that illegally obtained weapons must come from *somewhere*....so perhaps legal gun owners who do not store their weapons safely and they are stolen...but I think that is a valid part of the necessary research. Who is committing the crimes? With what type of weapons? And where did they come from? I'm sure my 68 year old pistol-owning dad isn't really the big threat.
    Where do the illegally purchased guns come from? From gun shows and unlicensed gun dealers, which account for about 40% of all gun sales. If you're restricted from buying a gun, where are you going to buy one? From the dealer who will do a background check, or online or from a gun show?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

[QUOTE=LauraKY;6737058]
    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

Where do the illegally purchased guns come from? From gun shows and unlicensed gun dealers, which account for about 40% of all gun sales. If you're restricted from buying a gun, where are you going to buy one? From the dealer who will do a background check, or online or from a gun show?
    So, they come from unlicensed gun dealers - maybe they are the ones who should have their names made public on the internet instead of those who bought them legally.

I have no objection to making legal gun sales more stringent - it is difficult to legally buy a pistol in NY but I don't believe it is as easy in other states. I have no objection to making other firearms more stringent to buy, either. Maybe that would be the better solution than publically "outing" those people that jumped through the hoops required in NY?

None of those sites support what was posted.

Statistics say that most women murdered by their SO, a gun was used in the murder.
    A completely believable fact.

Nowhere does it state that if a woman dates a man with a gun, she's likely to be shot and killed.

Nor is it true that if children enter a house that has a gun, they're likely to be killed.

Those are no more true than if a child or woman goes near a spoon, they'll die of obesity.

FFS, she stated that gun owners aren't sane.
    Owning a firearm seems to automatically turn everyone into a homicidal maniac that's into beating and shooting women for sh*ts and giggles and then painting the word TOY on a gun and handing it over to a group of visiting toddlers.

If a person is going to beat on a woman, they're going to do it regardless of whether they own a firearm or not.
    Removing firearms from everyone in the country will not stop domestic violence. That's been around forever and will always be around as long as there are pathetic useless sissies who feel a need to bully a physically weaker, smaller person.

Blaming firearms for domestic violence is playing the blame game. Want to stop it? Empower women, don't remove even more of their self esteem and power by attempting to skew statistics in a way to make them feel even more helpless. Telling women nationwide they're screwed and will likely be shot as long as the country allows anyone to own a firearm. Biggest load of crap ever.

And that's coming from folks who have long term experience with domestic violence and women and children.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.