The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    It wasn't a current list of where there are actually guns; it was a list of addresses where someone at some point had applied for a gun permit. People had moved and died in some cases, outdated info.

Because it wasn't accurate information you have to look at the intent of the paper and I think it was to fan some flames of divisiveness.
    I posted the article on a forum where more men and many LEOs post.

the opinion was that yes, it had really no point. because of the above mentioned etc.

one could argue it gives criminals the source for firearms, but it could also give them the address to avoid at their next heist.

One point though I had not thought about:
    there could be people on the list who have reasons to carry a gun and keep it private!
    One guy pointed out that one of his friends is married to a cheerleader.The woman has a stalker and acquired permit and gun. Naturally she would not care much for having her name in the paper, with address!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    A person can get a wealth of info via public records...that shouldn't be printed and mass distributed to the public.
    this is true

Just because it's in public records does not mean it's often looked up. If someone goes into a town hall, much of the information in many states requires the person to sign in before accessing the vault.

Those comfie with it being public record and no biggie...would you like your public recods printed? Can we see your property layout and (in many states) blueprints? Taxes and how current you are on those? How about your entire driver's record? Get pulled over for crappy driving ever? Ever file for bankruptcy? How about went through any civil court? (it's not just criminal records ya know) Ooo, wait! Let's publish those voter files! Wealth of info on those! Howzabout census info?

Publishing where to find firearms is wrong...legal, but wrong.

Similar to making up ridiculous rumors and posting those as facts online. Women and children are not likely to be killed by firearms. WTH?
    have at it, if you want that mostly-useless-information about me, I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    . I find it incomprehensible that we don't publish names and addresses of know child molesters in newspapers, but we can do that for gun owners?? What??
    but there are plenty of sites you can find that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    One guy pointed out that one of his friends is married to a cheerleader.The woman has a stalker and acquired permit and gun. Naturally she would not care much for having her name in the paper, with address!
    wouldn't a stalker already have that information?

Not necessarily. I was stalked by an ex-boyfriend. I moved to a location he did not know. For court cases I had all my personal information removed. Sure he could call me and e-mail me, but he couldn't show up at my house and cause me bodily harm. So for someone who has been in that scary situation, having your address published is kind of a big deal.

The whole thing is ridiculous! What purpose could the newspaper have for this besides harassing legal gunowners? And as far as the death by SO with a gun and all that, that's so ridiculous it doesn't merit a response. I will say that if someone wants to kill someone, or commit suicide, or whatever violent things happen "only" when a gun exists, the people will find another way. Stabbing, bombs, beating, whatever.

And keeping your kids away from any neighbors who might have guns? That's further instilling an unneeessary fear into our kids. They need a healthy respect, but not fear. Before you kids go to ANYONE's house you should have a discussion with them about safety. Heck knives and bleach are in every home, and are just as dangerous. A responsible parent will ask about ANY and ALL of these things. Sure, if the parents are not responsible, keep them home. But parents having guns safely locked up away from kids is no reason to keep your kids away.

2 members found this post helpful.

Gun owners have the right to own guns but some people think they don't necessarily need to follow through with that right.

The paper has the right to publish this information but some people think they don't necessarily need to follow through with that right.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    wouldn't a stalker already have that information?
    And now stalker can know that cheerleader has a gun. Maybe that will deter stalker; maybe that will remind stalker to bring a gun to a gunfight instead of a knife. Unintended consequences.

Publish publicly available information might not be illegal, engaging in hate crime certainly is, and that news group is treading a very, very dangerous line there.

Consider carefully here, why do they publish such information, if not to instigate hatred? Do you really believe that those men and women are that naive as to wish to "warn" the general homeowners who own guns? They are engaging a crime, folks.
    Hatred is but a powerless word without a target, and by powers of media they present that target on a silver platter.

How else best to stimulate normally reasonable citizens to go beyond his/her call of duty and commit crimes for them? How else such slander as pig, smelly, and dirty instigated a whole nation of commonly good people to become mass murderers of Jews?

They first picked a group of people - a subgroup of society that was easily recognizable, - that happened to be susceptible under current political and cultural climate. They then said they were not humans, that they smelled and they were dirty, and they told the public who and where they were, and then when the time was right, they pointed the fingers and stimulated those people to act.

That is why hate crime is so heinous and dangerous, and should never be taken lightly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I know many states now have laws against publishing public information in a manner that is harmful or endangers others, so maybe we'll see something new in that regard after this.
    SPACE FOR RENT

I wonder if that paper would have printed the address of everyone in the mosque that one Fort Bragg shooter belonged to, so everyone else could be careful of "those moslems, see what some can do, so others can keep their kids away from them, etc."?

Publishing such name lists makes about as much sense, none at all.

3 members found this post helpful.

children are only likely to be killed by them if their dumbass parents don't lock it up(yes they are dumbasses if they don't lock it up.) Just putting it in the bedroom is not good enough, guns need to be locked up.

Unfortunatly some people believe that locking a gun up can make a difference if someone breaks into your home so they will keep an unsecured loaded weapon.

As far as I can tell, the main reason the newspaper published that list is for the same reason that radio talk show hosts make outlandish, one-sided statements: they hope to increase readership, and therefore sponsorship by getting people all worked up and creating a "buzz". This was only to advance their own purposes, which don't really seem to be in the spirit of true journalism, imo. I don't know anything about them, maybe they really aren't journalists at all, and this is standard fare for them? Either way, not much good can come of it. And regarding those who published the journalists' home addresses, the first thing that comes to mind is something my mother told me repeatedly while I was growing up - two wrongs don't make a right. (but, sorry mom! it did cross my mind that they got what they deserved)

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    As far as I can tell, the main reason the newspaper published that list is for the same reason that radio talk show hosts make outlandish, one-sided statements: they hope to increase readership, and therefore sponsorship by getting people all worked up and creating a "buzz". This was only to advance their own purposes, which don't really seem to be in the spirit of true journalism, imo. I don't know anything about them, maybe they really aren't journalists at all, and this is standard fare for them? Either way, not much good can come of it. And regarding those who published the journalists' home addresses, the first thing that comes to mind is something my mother told me repeatedly while I was growing up - two wrongs don't make a right. (but, sorry mom! it did cross my mind that they got what they deserved)
    Kato ... I agree with your thoughts. ... except Publishing the journalists personal info isn't another wrong. I think of it as consequences. I used to tell my children all the time that their actions had consequences. I always loved them but they enjoyed or endured the consequences of their actions.