The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Outing Gun Owners in New York by name and address!

The Lohud.com paper in New York outed gun permit holders including their names and addresses. The article goes on to say that these folks are "permit" holders and not necessarily gun owners.

What good could possibly come from this? At least now the criminals know which houses to hit once the homeowner goes to work to attempt to steal a weapon?

Is this the worst type of journalistic privacy invasion or a public service? What possible good could come from this? None that I am aware of.

I feel this is a horrific invasion of privacy. It is not my neighbor's business or anyone else if I own a handgun or am permitted to do so. That paper should be sued by anyone who is burglarized etc on that list. Talk about painting a target on people!

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/art...nclick_check=1
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

10 members found this post helpful.

I for one do not understand why some people such as me a city person would need a gun. I do think some thing in the United States needs to change but the issue is imho difficult as it is the "sick" minority causing the problems.

Nope I totally agree with you publishing possible gun owner names is wrong on many levels.

Cheers

Hey genius, pistol permits are a matter of public record, in NYS and many, many other states. Any criminal looking to "target" anyone in the city could just march into the city clerk and get that info, any day of the week.

But feel free to carry on being scandalized.

7 members found this post helpful.

Yes Gallop they are public records, but how many criminals are going to go to that much trouble? A whole lot easier if your local paper prints you out a convient list.
    I say no good can come of this. One it will tell criminals where to steal guns, two it will tell anti gun advocates where to hold their rallies, three if I am a criminal who already has a gun, I am going to steer clear of the names on that list, thereby making it more dangerous for other people in that area that aren't on the list.

12 members found this post helpful.

So tell me again why gun ownership is a bad thing?

NYS Pistol Permits are a matter of publuc record. I do find it wrong in publically posting on the 'net. It gives those who don't believe in our country's rights a reason to go after another innocent LAW ABIDING citizen.

I am a gun owner. I am for the right to keep and bear arms. I do not agree in crazies, semi-lunatics and those with any major crimes against othesr having the right to own or even have access to fireararms. It puts a bad name to those who own lawfully.

19 members found this post helpful.

GoforGallop, if criminals had that kind of get up and go they probably wouldn't be criminals. Calling me a genius, why thank you so much, how lovely of you to be so rudely condescending. Merry Christmas to you too!!

Maybe it is a public service after all. Now the dirt bag asshole criminals know which houses not to mess with; might get their tiny little brains blown out.

Now why this originally bothered me is that my cousin is on that list. Yes he called this morning to wish me a Merry Christmas and as we chatted he told me about this. He has two little girls and a stay at home wife. Won't it be wonderful when some scum bag targets them during the day while he is at work.

His wife doesn't know how to use his gun but will now be learning how to properly handle that firearm due to this.

And no I am not scandalized I am worried for the safety of my family members as should everyone that has a loved one or friend on that list.

I dunno... wouldn't a house with a gun in it be the WRONG house to break into? ;o) Lots of stuff that could get you into trouble is public record or easily obtained. And the stupid stuff that we ALL do puts us at risk in some way. People talking on Facebook about going on vacation, the new stuff that they have purchased, photos of their home that easily mark where they keep the good sh$t. Even conversations on this very site. How many times have you seen people talk about keeping their tack in their trailers, what they paid for their stuff, where they board etc? Yes, I get what you are saying. I figure that with so much that IS out there about all of us, all you can do is be as careful as you can and live your life. No need to be living skeert about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hate to tell you this, but there is a HUGE amount of information that is public information out there, a lot of it accessible right on the internet.
    Things like land records, tax records, property owners, court cases, both civil and criminal, bankruptcies, divorces, the list is amazing.
    You may not like the fact a newspaper published this information, but it is hardly a sueable offense.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Counselor View Post
    Hate to tell you this, but there is a HUGE amount of information that is public information out there, a lot of it accessible right on the internet.
    Things like land records, tax records, property owners, court cases, both civil and criminal, bankruptcies, divorces, the list is amazing.
    You may not like the fact a newspaper published this information, but it is hardly a sueable offense.

Just because something is a public record, doesn't mean publishing it, is the right thing to do. Pehaps neighbors of anti gun folks should post a sign on their property directing bad guys to the easy target. Legal .. yes. right to do ?

see here >> http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=291929

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, maybe the criminals will look at which addresses are gun permit owners, and then rob the ones that aren't permit holders.

Sorry, that's not really funny. Crime against anyone is not funny. But I think it is a little ridiculous to post the locations of the legally owned guns. The people that have a permit for the gun are not ones committing the crimes. Why point THEM out?

5 members found this post helpful.

So not right to publish peoples names i am an anti-gun person but imo it is almost a suggestion that it is the people on the "list" people should fear. Not the random & mostly non-permit holding ill (in some form or another) person that buys a black market gun or borrows someone elses gun. Very wrong to publish names.

2 members found this post helpful.

A bit like publishing the names of all that buy birth control so those against it can go picket and bother them where they live?

Why paint any target on people's backs, for all and any with a problem with whatever they do to stalk them?

Just because the information is public, do you want to see your name and address and phone number singled out in a public place, especially by some with agendas, as there anti gun ones?

13 members found this post helpful.

it's public knowledge anyway, so it's not "wrong". It's a public service- now you can easily get the information instead of looking for it.
    Since gun owners are much more likely to die by violence than non-gun-owners, it's doing a public service- sane people can avoid living near or associating with these people, in hopes of not being caught in the backwash of violence. Women who date men who own guns are likely to be killed by those guns, so now they can check and not-date men who own guns and pre-emptively improve their safety. If you have children, now you can make sure your children don't go anywhere near a household that has guns- kids tend to be killed in accidents involving guns. You don't want your kid playing with his friends in a house that has that guns in it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wendy, you make a very good argument! However let's go a bit deeper. Do you check out all your children's friends parents? Do you check to see if they ever had a DUI? Or say have a criminal history? Or perhaps they have had CPS called on them?

I wouldn't want my child getting into a car with someone who had a DUI on their record. So let's publish all the names and addresses of everyone in the paper (I know they already do this at the time of arrest in most areas) and make sure that your kids are safe. Say once a month so it's fresh in peoples minds. These folks were breaking the law, legal gun owners aren't yet have been singled out here.

You would have to hire a private detective to research all the possible activity in any house that your child would be a guest in. Perhaps you could sit down with any parent that is known to have a gun permit and ask them to explain their safety procedures. These people aren't breaking the law and this newspaper has treated them as if they are some type of criminals. That is one of the things I object to.

7 members found this post helpful.

I am strongly in favour of gun control (and as a dual citizen I will vote with that in mind). That being said, equating all gun-permit-holders with gun crime is exactly the sort of unthinking oversimplification that underpins a lot of the violence in this world.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    I am strongly in favour of gun control (and as a dual citizen I will vote with that in mind). That being said, equating all gun-permit-holders with gun crime is exactly the sort of unthinking oversimplification that underpins a lot of the violence in this world.
    Also is what makes gun owners defensive and accused of being paranoid, when in fact they are being persecuted.

Lets demand that every moslem in the USA wear a big M on their backs and publish their names and addresses, so those that think they are all possible terrorist can avoid living near them, not let their kids go to the same schools, etc.

Lets find even more ways to divide everyone and only associate with those that think like you do.

13 members found this post helpful.

I'm with you on the first part of your sentence Bluey. I wouldn't go quite so far as to call them "persecuted"; vilified, maybe but gun ownership is an option not a belief. I do take your point though. Wish we could have more rational discussion of the topic instead of more diatribe!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Honestly, guns are my right and even if they publish my name in the paper screw it. Do I thiink its messed up? Yes. I cann see someone trying to sue for this, dont see them getting far though. But then again maybe they wont get robbed this year by low life criminals as thier house is protected.

Like another poster said they may have a permit but not always have a gun. My mom sold her guns years ago and has not yet got another. She still has her permit though.

I will keep my guns and they can come try and pry them out of my hands. Screw Obama and his anti gun BS. The next 4 years will ruin the nation. This is just the start.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

16 members found this post helpful.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    it's public knowledge anyway, so it's not "wrong". It's a public service- now you can easily get the information instead of looking for it.
    A service to whom, pray?

Since gun owners are much more likely to die by violence than non-gun-owners,

Where, exactly, did you get that flagrantly false little factoid?

it's doing a public service- sane people can avoid living near or associating with these people, in hopes of not being caught in the backwash of violence.
    Maybe you'd better check out that list of gun owners, so you can move to wherever they aren't. Problem is, there are 270 million registered handguns in this country - one for every man and woman in the U.S. - so you'll be very hard pressed to avoid being close to someone who doesn't own a legally registered handgun. Oh, and that's not including all the shotguns and rifles in the U.S. No one really knows how many of those there are, since registration isn't required for ownership.

Women who date men who own guns are likely to be killed by those guns, so now they can check and not-date men who own guns and pre-emptively improve their safety. If you have children, now you can make sure your children don't go anywhere near a household that has guns- kids tend to be killed in accidents involving guns. You don't want your kid playing with his friends in a house that has that guns in it.
    Prepare to be very lonely. And get used to being very wrong.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Since gun owners are much more likely to die by violence than non-gun-owners
    , it's doing a public service- sane people can avoid living near or associating with these people, in hopes of not being caught in the backwash of violence. Women who date men who own guns are likely to be killed by those guns, so now they can check and not-date men who own guns and pre-emptively improve their safety. If you have children, now you can make sure your children don't go anywhere near a household that has guns- kids tend to be killed in accidents involving guns. You don't want your kid playing with his friends in a house that has that guns in it.
    what are you talking about???? LOL OMG you're making it all up...this just doesn't play out in reality, this is your impression that you're trying to force out there...

8 members found this post helpful.