The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Deal with a Card Carrying Member of the Tinfoil Hat Brigade!

When you are married to them?

OMG if I have to hear ONE MORE RANT about how Obama is an Islamic plant intended to destroy America, that in 3 more years they will institute martial law and the Chinese army will make landfall and declare him Emperor (or something), that the govt is going to go house to house confiscating guns and taking away our IRAs, that they are going to reduce the shelf life of ammo since they've been unsuccessful banning guns (yeah, that wil go over great with the cops and soldiers who rely on ammo working), that Obamacare means they will just 'put you down' after a certain age etc etc. I might just snap. We have a successful small business, a nice farm, health, insurance, finances well under control--can't spend indiscriminately but hubby has PLENTY of funds to spend on hot rods and motorcycles and (sigh) guns..... Retirement plans in place..... And every freakin' day I have to listen to this sh*t because he hangs out with a bunch of well-off old retired guys who have nothing better to do than surf the Internet for drama. And he is apparently the most gullible person on the planet.

And that effing Physical Cliff (yes, that is how he says it!). My god! When he starts propounding in front of clients I just want to die.

Jennifer

7 members found this post helpful.

Hey, I live in South Carolina. Believe me, I feel you! Not DH, thank God. But just about everybody else I know IRL.

I've just started responding immediately with "I don't want to talk about that." I have to repeat it usually a half dozen times. But if you continue saying that, over and over, as your only response, they will eventually get bored and stop.

I used to respond with "you know what? Neither one of us knows enough about economics/foreign policy/politics/etc to offer an intelligent opinion on that, so let's talk about something else." But then the person would spend a half hour regurgitating the latest crazy thing they'd heard wherever they hear these things. In an effort to convince me they do too know what they're talking about!

So now I just keep it simple and repetitive. Works best with these types.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one, that's funny, but sad too

we have one of son's friends living with us for various reasons.... he's a bit left of center :-) . listens to what ever radio station it is that is left of center. has some really wild beliefs concerning the trails we see in the sky behind airplanes-- something about the gov't drugging us with it as it's supposedly prozac and I don't remember what else.

admitted to me once that when he was younger he wore a tinfoil hat for a while until the voices stopped buzzing in his ear (ACK).

so we're (hubs and I) Christmas shopping and we're going to fill a stocking with the usuals-- deodorant tooth paste, etc. I FINALLY find an aluminum free deodorant and my husband says-- totally serious-- "he does realize that more aluminum soaks in from his hat than thru his pits, right??"

eta:: when he starts spouting off about the president and the NRA and second amendment I just say, I think we've covered that we disagree, let quit now.....

2 members found this post helpful.

Right wing or left wing, conspiracy tin foil hat wearers drive me nuts.

DD boyfriend's mother is certain that, come April, everyone will have a chip implanted because of Obamacare. Wonder if we get to choose which arm they use?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

More than my share of them, I'm afraid. I have no problem disagreeing on issues, but when they start ranting and raving and spouting all the BS, I just walk away. I've unfriended a few people on Facebook for that reason (and there's a couple more that are close to it).

I don't have a problem if someone disagrees with the President, but when they start the racist carrying on and other bizarre crap, I'm done. they're out of my life.

6 members found this post helpful.

** Physical Cliff **

Sorry, but I love that.

My grandmother used to listen to a certain OxyContin snorting radio host on my radio. At my house. Loud. If I turned him down, she would screech at me. She was a true "ditto head" in every sense, and it was impossible to have a conversation with her because everything was a conspiracy. She wasn't like this when I was little so it really made me sad that I didn't really like hanging out with her anymore. I even tried the "politics free zone" thing, but she just accused me of having my head in the sand. I feel for anyone who has a close friend/family member who is of the tinfoil hat brigade.
    You are what you dare.

I hate to be so negative, but keep your eyes and ears wide open.

That can go off a whole other cliff.....

Anyone who is still "convinced" that Obama is a Muslim is not operating on all cylinders. Dealt with that 4 years ago. Tin foil an all...Obama even "had people out trying to take us out if we didn't agree".....

Be careful. There is a line that can be crossed between just being politically vocal and having a total break from reality. A psychotic one.

With guns available, it can be really scary.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh lord OP,I feel for you, I really do, but your post made me LOL. I have heard a lot of the same stuff lately, fortunately not from my spouse though.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

One of the 8 bazillion reasons I no longer talk to my mother.....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

You want REAL fun? Listen to "Coast to Coast AM". Their policy on calls is pretty much anything that isn't unsolicited self-promotion gets through. And that's before you get to their actual guests. You will hear about aliens, vortexes, harmonics, the NSA implanting microchips ib assorted orifices, the BLM plotting to KILL ALL THE MUSTANGS (I kid you not, that was an actual interview and it really put the 'pro-mustang' people in their proper context)...if it was an episode of "The X-Files", there are callers who think it is absolutely true. Forget a tinfoil hat, they need a lead-lined bunker somewhere.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oh, OP, I hear you! Not my Dear Mr. CC, but his mom, my brother and his son and his wife, oh, and my other brother... it sure makes family gatherings fraught with "physical cliffs"! I "wallow at the public trough" (I'm a teacher, so is DH) and Obama is taking our guns, that "Muslim bastard"... oh, it is just so awful at times.

I use my mother's change of subject phrase, taken from her mother: Okay, let's talk about roses! This has been in our family for nearly 100 years now, and it is code for SHUT UP. Not that that will help you, but maybe you could create one for your husband?

Oh, and keep an ear open for an escalation of weirdness... scary...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Tin foil hats come in all kinds, even green ones.

I too have to change the conversation when so many insist food is poisoning them, they can only eat certain things and it has to be a specific certification, bought at this one magic health super store at prices that mimic those of rare spices for common food.

Of course, the rest of us are dying all around them like flies, right?

3 members found this post helpful.

If you're going to discuss tinfoil hats, please familiarize yourselves with the science and facts before you post. I would think that actual scientists from MIT would know more about this than your average COTH member.

On the Effectiveness of Aluminum Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

7 members found this post helpful.

Laura-I think the microchips will be implanted in the upper back muscles, between the shoulders, just like the puppies have.

And if it's with my consent, then I'm fine with being put down humanely when I reach a certain level of infirmities where I don't enjoy life any longer.

And don't get me started on the President was born in Kenya garbage. I guess his mother was psychic, knew her son would be president someday, and didn't realize that having an American citizen mother covered the native born clause in the Constitution.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

4 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. I hear ya OP. I'm going to be practicing my skills tomorrow LOL.

I have perfected an interested, slightly raised eyebrow look, while slightly nodding my head, mumbling "oh really, that's very interesting" all the while thinking about something else, like sandwiches or what I'm going to make for dinner. I don't hear them at all. Takes practice tho

I have been asked by TWO people in the last week, out of the blue, while in otherwise normal, every day conversation, "if I have met Jesus".

Must be something in the water.

I whip out the Southern Standard of nodding slightly and saying "I understand thats how you feel" and then I change the subject. As many times as it takes.

Might be a long winter if it were my husband!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have been asked by TWO people in the last week, out of the blue, while in otherwise normal, every day conversation, "if I have met Jesus".

Must be something in the water.
    Oh. That one.

My poor kids are agnostic and have had to learn to ignore and redirect already. Who doesnt know not to discuss religion in public? Aieeee. So sorry Bluey.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

We have one at work and I've recently taken to whistling "Crazy" when he's around.