The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Our neighbors have an a lot that they had a camper on, but wanted to upgrade a bit from the camper, but not so much due to accessibility issues and flooding.

They used the same company that builds modular sheds and shelters to build a 10X24 "house-ette". 10x16 of the building is a insulated and has heat and AC. The rest of the sq footage is a screened in porch that has a ceiling fan. They have electricity there, but no running water, so no need for plumbing. It had a very reasonable price. MUCH less than buying a newer camper, and they had the ability to put it up on stilts to help insure it wouldn't get damaged by any flooding.

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_pho...R&TabID=Photos These are similar to what they designed with the local shed making/transporting company.

There is a guy down here who builds concrete homes -- affordable and able to stand up to harsh/extreme weather conditions. He has a contract to do some up in Buffalo, NY, so I guess he can do them anywhere.
    PennyG

Oh you just MUST get a yurt and tell us all about it. They are not very pricey for the little ones and sooooo cute.

http://yurtsofamerica.com/gallery.html

http://blueridgeyurts.com/gallery_im...hp?idalb_img=2

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I don't think that yurts would make it in our very windy country, no matter how tight you tie them down.

We have one. Bought off of Craig's List. The person we bought from lived in 2 put together with a wife and 3 kids. This one he'd planned to add on with but they were moving back to Europe where wife's family was. It is hot in summer and does freeze inside in winter ( learned the hard way when pump for swimming pool froze and was damaged while stored in there) so you wold need to insulate them well. I have also seen a program where they used them to help hurricane houses in Florida.

For what you want it's do able but someone with some building experience would be needed. Or a super handyman.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, a dome might work!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Go to dwell.com - they have lots of interesting resources for cool pre-fab stuff. There are also lots of websites about tiny houses. Here's just one: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    In my case, I want a space with just a bathroom, bedroom/small living space and a microwave. Could be solar powered, propane and as for water source, just rainwater. So very low tech and simple for me, a mobile home would be overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ok, let me confess...

i really want something around 400 sq. feet. And a mobile home is just not an option here. It would not fit in well, whereas a container will look quirky. And quirky works here.
    As someone else suggested -TINY HOUSES!!! The really small (100sf or less) ones come already made, you just have to tie them into plumbing/sewer/what have you. I have been coveting some of their bigger ones (~800sf). My current house is 702sf and plenty for me. A bit bigger wouldn't be bad for me, but I do not want to big for just myself. I had enough of a time cleaning that tiny house! The website has prices for the small houses all put together and estimates of costs to build the bigger ones.

(here's the link again...just because... http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ )

The container houses scare me, to be honest with you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you checked into park model homes? They are all just under 400 square feet and look like little cottages. I don't have any of the websites handy, but a Google search should turn some up. A couple of advantages are that they come already completed and they qualify as an RV, not a dwelling, so they do not have any property tax impact on you (at least that was the case the last time I looked into them).

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

what about a cute little cottage like this? They come in kits or on a flatbed. I'd love one.
    http://jamaicacottageshop.com/16x20vc.asp