The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Container Houses?

I want to put a guest space on the farm and am considering a container house. But... Where /how do you get a container?

TIA!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Assuming you mean railroad/trucking container... when I was considering one for hay storage, I found http://www.containertech.com/container-sales/#All and got a quote.

Looks like they even do the modifications... http://www.containertech.com/contain...fications/#All

I don't see your location, so chances are they aren't near you, but a search for 'Shipping Container [where you are]' should turn up something.

I am now imagining the permit process for something like this. I'm sure there is no appropriate checkbox on the county inspection forms! Let us know how it goes if you do it.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thanks! I just sent off a request for a quote. We are in central northern NC.

I am coveting one at my feedstore, that has oak floors and walls. MAybe they would trade?!!

Anyway, this should be interesting.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

http://www.jerryandtatiana.com/intershelter.html

Saw this ad for Dome Homes on my local craiglsist.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

What is the advantage of a container house over a single wide or mobile home?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    What is the advantage of a container house over a single wide or mobile home?
    In my case, I want a space with just a bathroom, bedroom/small living space and a microwave. Could be solar powered, propane and as for water source, just rainwater. So very low tech and simple for me, a mobile home would be overkill.
    ---

We have one leftover from some job DH did.

Let me tell you, that sucker is an OVEN in July in AL. Not moldy...just HOT.

If you go this route, bury it in a hillside and call in a Ghetto-Bank-House. I recall seeing some secessionists in MT going this route...

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    We have one leftover from some job DH did.

Let me tell you, that sucker is an OVEN in July in AL. Not moldy...just HOT.

If you go this route, bury it in a hillside and call in a Ghetto-Bank-House. I recall seeing some secessionists in MT going this route...

We will have to figure out a way to cool it... Or lots of windows and in the trees, for sure!
    ---

I used to haul the containers to people on my big rig flatbed. The ones I hauled were mainly metal. They were more like you see on a railcar.

Now, if I were going to live in one, I'd go with a wood sided trailer, like a 48 ft. If you buy one with a refrigerated unit on it, you have cooling like you wouldn't believe and it can run off of a diesel tank.

I think it's a good idea. On the 6666's ranch, they used to use them as stalls and barns for their horses. With the back to natural movement, I would think there'd be all sorts of sites with info dedicated to this type of home.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Ummmm when you get your container house, I am coming to visit. Flying, sans kids. ok?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Ummmm when you get your container house, I am coming to visit. Flying, sans kids. ok?
    Of course!
    ---

Oh my! I need more coffee. I swear I read that "container HORSES" and I thought "damn, I should've asked Santa for one of those!"
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

When I retire I want to downsize my living space to either a houseboat or one of those 800sf manufactured homes.

Growing up in the country our nearest neighbor brought in this very large metal "can". He converted it into a house. It was freaky ugly and my mom always worried he would burn up if a fire ever started in it.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

They do get flaming hot in the sun. And, many of the ones that get sold are sold because they have issues, IE they leak or are unsound. See if you can find a trucker friend who can help you PPE one, and think about having insulation put behind the paneling somehow, What did the feedstore people say about where they got theirs?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    http://www.jerryandtatiana.com/intershelter.html

Saw this ad for Dome Homes on my local craiglsist.
    The yurts, they look great.

And you can get them in all sizes and even fancier than a regular house.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

You may want to check into modular homes (not mobile homes).

They are built to your specifications in a warehouse, so quality control is great, are extremely well made if you go to a reputable company, are up to code and the small ones cost less than those containers.
    They can be moved and set on your place and sold again and moved when you don't need it any more.

Many ranches around the SW use those as bunk or guest houses, hunting lodges, some as main houses if they want a smaller one for headquarters.

Curious if you have crunched the numbers to see if a container with all the modifications necessary to make it livable is cheaper than a mobile home which is made to be inhabited.

Ok, let me confess...

i really want something around 400 sq. feet. And a mobile home is just not an option here. It would not fit in well, whereas a container will look quirky. And quirky works here.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ok, let me confess...

i really want something around 400 sq. feet. And a mobile home is just not an option here. It would not fit in well, whereas a container will look quirky. And quirky works here.
    I TOTALLY get this sentiment, I deal with it in VA and in Haiti all the time.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ok, let me confess...

Dome houses would fit your requirements then?
    They look quirky and cute.