The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tankless hot water heaters -anyone have one?

Anyone have an electric tankless for the house? My giant propane heater has died -I hated it from the first day because I'd planned on a tankless and let the plumber talk me out of it, and this thing goes off like a freight train in my Little House in the Big Woods so ding dong the witch is dead! -and I have the options of a 50gal propane, 50 gal electric or a tankless. The propane one is too expensive for me so it's out. So it's between the tanked or tankless electric.

The plumber says he's ripped out a number of the tankless after people were dissatisfied with the hot water delivered.

I'd love to hear your experiences if you have one or had one please.

Thanks,
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

never had one, but plumber input sounds valuable..what about buying a larger capacity, top of the line tank water heater?

I rented a house in Aiken for a month a few years ago that had one and I loved it. If I didn't have so many other things I have to update in my house, I would definitely consider putting one in. It does take a little longer to deliver the hot water initially than a tank heater, but once it's streaming, the hot water is unlimited.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Our builder would not put one in, said that with our hard water, it would give problems all the time.
    So we didn't, have a regular electric one.

I have since heard of those that put one in and yes, they have trouble all the time with them.

I guess it depends what kind of water you run thru it, if it is very pure, it will be ok, if not, buildup may not let it work correctly.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have read that they only raise the water temperature a certain number of degrees, and in northern climates that could be a problem. I'm betting the longevity of the unit, and the quality of heating would depend on the water quality, and minerals. I've also read that water flow when you have low flow showerheads can be a problem, because the amount of water the shower draws isn't enough to trigger the unit enough to fully heat the water, so you may have to run the sink, and the shower to make enough demand. I would ask everyone you can locally about them, see how happy they are with tankless vs. tank electric, and that could help you decide.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

DH is an electrical contractor. When our regular gas water heater died, I wanted him to look into tankless. He researched all the leg work and power and venting needed to do it....we got another gas water heater.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

3 members found this post helpful.

Have been very happy with our electric tankless. I like my water HOT and haven't yet had a problem, and had have it HOT for an hour if I do so feel like it.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

My brother owns a building company-he says the tankless systems are a no-go if you have hard water.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

We have 2 gas Rinnai water heaters, work great. One replaced the electric tank heater in the crawl space that just supplied our kitchen and rarely used downstairs bath, the other does the whole upstairs, replacing 2 50 gal tanks that were heated with propane. In both cases the propane was easy to hook up so minimized install.

We got a rebate on replacing the electric one and the gas unit was eligible for a tax credit
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    Have been very happy with our electric tankless. I like my water HOT and haven't yet had a problem, and had have it HOT for an hour if I do so feel like it.
    It is much easier to make really hot water when you start with not near so cold water.

my sister had one and while the water would run very WARM

oops, sorry, continuing
    for a long time it never got HOT. FWIW they lived in Iowa and this was the middle of winter. Now maybe there was a temperature control that could have been turned up, idk, but for me, if that was as good as it gets, no thanks.

There are definitely considerations. In particular "rise" and "flow". Rise is the amount of heating the machine has to do to your cold water. The rise is limited so you have to match a machine to a region. Basically what you'll need for instant hot water in Florida would not work for you in Michigan. Flow is also important -it's the amount of water passing through the pipes that can be reliably heated. All machines don't have the same flow.

So this is why I wanted information from the failures like; Where are you? How big is your house? Where is your heater with regards to your faucet? How many people are in your home?

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    There are definitely considerations. In particular "rise" and "flow". Rise is the amount of heating the machine has to do to your cold water. The rise is limited so you have to match a machine to a region. Basically what you'll need for instant hot water in Florida would not work for you in Michigan. Flow is also important -it's the amount of water passing through the pipes that can be reliably heated. All machines don't have the same flow.

So this is why I wanted information from the failures like; Where are you? How big is your house? Where is your heater with regards to your faucet? How many people are in your home?

Paula
    Don't forget those generally need special wiring for 220, not the 120 most house wiring uses.

A barn I boarded at had one in the washrack and it was wonderful. I thought they were on a well but then I remember they also had a drinking fountain so perhaps they had a filtration unit attached.

Yes, indeed they need different wiring, but when I was building I had planned on an electric tankless hot water heater so my breaker is a 200 and I have a little mini-transformer thingy in my yard (I don't know what it's called, but the builder put it in anticipating a Takagi whole-house electric tankless water heater). Still, I'll have an electrician consult on the wiring.

I have to tell you though; bathing out of a bucket and hauling hot water from the stove is kind of cool. I did it as a kid in Trinidad so it's not new to me -except the amount of hot it takes to make a hot bucket bath is different up here. But color me crazy -every time I get a taste of off the grid I like it!

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Paula
    I'll preface my comments by saying that my tankless was probably installed or maintained incorrectly by my landlords. They believed in doing everything themselves and I live in a county that is pretty lax about home improvements - or even new buildings, for that matter.

My rental, a four bedroom ranch, had a tankless gas water heater. When it worked right it was great; however, it often was persnickety. I could take a shower one day and the temp would be perfect. The next day, without any adjustment on the temp gauge on the tank, it would be so hot it would almost scald my skin off! The bad thing with the toooooo hot water was if you turned on the cold to temper the water, I had about two minutes before the hot cut off completely. NOT FUN! The thing just had a split personality or something. LOL!

Like I said, though, I think it was either a bad install or bad maintenance job.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've been looking into them, and my plumber said that they needed AT LEAST 3/4" pipes at both input and output sides. For me that would mean a complete hot water re-plumb--which I'm considering.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

My brother's house has one. Right now, with 3 adults and two little kids, along with a dishwasher - no issues. The washing machine is run cold water only, so that doesn't count.

He loves it and tried to talk me into getting it in my house, but I didn't think the cost would be beneficial, considering the neighborhood and likely demographic to buy my house in the future.

We live in the midatlantic region and there has never been a problem with the water being hot enough. The house also draws water from a well.

Our tankless is natural gas, have had it about 30 years. It is a Paloma, needed one repair over the years, some small part that was purchased and put on by husband. I am pretty sure it was not a mineral problem, didn't cost much for parts, under $20.

We got a water softener, since we have a LOT of iron in the water. There are some other minerals too, but you get rust under the faucets within 24 hours without the water softener. Soft water is worth having, laundry gets cleaner easier, nicer for washing people too, so you don't get dry skin.

We purchased our tankless heater a size larger, might be commercial, than what is recommended for house and persons in the house. My old boss at work had a tankless water heater, recommended it when we got our new house and remodeled. He loved his tankless heater, said he always had warm/hot water even with a house full of teenagers always washing hair or doing showers!!

I think tankless heater is a GREAT product, we NEVER run out of hot water. I can was 4-5 horses with warm water, one right after another. We can take showers, kids take long showers, still have warm water, when getting ready to go places. Load after load of laundry, all warm or hot as needed for the fabrics.

Tankless heater has more than paid for itself with savings on gas to not heat water we were not using. Love that it takes up so LITTLE space on the basement wall.

I would strongly recommend having a tankless water heater for the home, buy another if ours should ever die. Ours is gas not electric. Plumbers may not like them because they don't make money on them with not needing service on breakdowns or replacing them!

1 members found this post helpful.