The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lemon Meringue Pie

Is delicious! I decided to make one for my friends mom (I am staying over there tonight), it's her favorite. I also made a dutch apple.

My good friend made one about 10 years ago and her husband was terrified to enter the kitchen because of the raging swearing and grunting, plus various lemony globs of anger-laden filling erupting along the kitchen entrance.

I got 8 lemons, I needed 3/4 cup of lemon juice. I got the filling ready to cook and knocked the whole 3/4 cup over onto and down the cabinet. Edo the Nosiest Cat in the World smells like fresh lemony goodness. I resqueezed the juice. I decided I better separate the eggs before starting. I dumped a whole yolk into my whites. MOTHER FUDGESICLE! <--that is not what I said!

I grabbed more eggs and started separating and noticed my oven mitt was soaking in my newly redone freshly squeezed lemon juice. Gotdernsonofabiscuiteatingfudgewad!!!! <--close but not quite what I said.

My filling mixture cooked fast and got thick and heavy on the bottom and runny on the top. I added the now-endangered lemon juice through sheer desperation. it was only about a 1/2 cup what with all the issues.

The pie looks good but only because I literally sat there beating the egg whites into a meringue while threatening to kill the whole dang pie nonstop for 10 minutes. Stiff peaks my ass!!!!!

I did shoot up the ceiling a little but it's white and so is the meringue. I am breathing hard and slightly angry.

I am so glad I made this delicious vanilla chocolate peppermint whiskey cream coffee drink for later. So glad. I love my friends mom and I hope she likes the pie. I also understand how adrenaline and rage can help a mother elephant decimate anything in it's path.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you can ever bring yourself to make a lemon pie again, here's one of mine that I particularly like: http://smithratliff.com/2011/11/11/e...s-for-parties/ (I think several other COTHers have made it and loved it too!)

Thank you. Is there whiskey that comes with?
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Thank you. Is there whiskey that comes with?
    I usually keep a flask of Dewars nearby for any and all pie baking.

1 members found this post helpful.

See, this is the knowledge that needs to be passed along. Thank you again.
    The Knotted Pony

One thing to remember is to stir the beaten yolks and sugar in a double boiler, then, when it starts to thicken, add the lemon juice and some grated peel. Continue to stir until the curd is thickened.

Also, when you separate the eggs, use an extra bowl to drop the whites in just in case you mess up then pour the whites and yolks into their respective bowls. Mom always kept an extra one for scrambled eggs. If I mess up, i just reach in and pull the yolk out, not brave enough to try the real chef method of breaking the egg into my hand and letting the whites seep out between my fingers.

Right now, I am toying with making dumplings for the top of my braised chicken.......but it seems to me that my baking powder is well past its due date. Maybe taters....
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Yes, yes. All good common sense ideas thank you.

Too bad you didn't tell me a few hours ago LOL!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Oh, after reading that, I'm so glad I don't like lemon meringue pie and, thus, will have no need ever to bake one.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

It's the debbil.
    The Knotted Pony

There's a reason I bake when I'm stressed! Kneading biscotti or shortbread dough can be bri therapeutic.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Oh, after reading that, I'm so glad I don't like lemon meringue pie and, thus, will have no need ever to bake one.
    I don't like it either, but I do vaguely recall my mom made one, once, many years ago!

LOL, I just got a cab to go into the store to get stuff to make lemon meringue.

Listen...I have done the whole thing from scratch, but I actually find that using the JELLO brand lemon filling is just as good and less of a PITA. I still make my crust and meringue from scratch, but I don't bother trying to make the filling from scratch anymore.

When I got married about a year ago, I just had pies brought in. No cake. I hate cake. So pies it was. I set a few different pies down at each table and we instructed people to go make friends and find THEIR pie of choice! (I got the lemon. )
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I love lemon meringue. It is my favorite right after cherry. And I must dispute BuddyRoo - the Jello filling is like a McDonald's burger to a prime rib. Homemade lemon custard with all those egg yolks is what makes it so delicious.

Have you any photos of the motherfudgingdammit pie, Twotru?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Love lemon meringue - the home-made kind. My mother used a recipe from one of the 50's cookbooks, and we still have it written down. It is very time consuming, but very, very worth it. Helping her when I was young was my training in how to make a meringue successfully. Nothing in the bowl except egg white! Must use a very clean bowl! Can't have a trace of grease, or a trace of yolk! Only add the sugar once the peaks start to form!

But bake it for dinner last week? Nope - did the apple and pumpkin pies ahead. But with it quieter this week, may join you and bake one. Been a long time. Only thing is, already have SO many leftover cookies/sweets/goodies still.

But thanks for taking me back!

PS And this thread redirected me to get out the wine.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Ahahahha!!! I used the recipe from the 50s Fannie Farmer Cookbook! I have been redirected to whiskey 7 after the home made vanilla chocolate peppermint coffee whiskey cream stuff!
    The Knotted Pony