The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WINDOWS 8 and all that other new stuff

Recently got a new laptop.

Came with Windows 8 and a late version of IE.

Not much choice there.

Perhaps we can put some of the "doesn't work with....(insert Windows8 or IE #x)" messages out here.
    And solutions, if anyone has found them.

My first duh was the "Your printer is not supported by your operation system", even though my printer (according to Dell website) is compatible with Windows 8.

Two and a half hours with a very patient Dell rep on the phone and yippee we got the printer (wireless) to finally work.

Issue 2 was that after I transferred my data from my old laptop to my new one, the new yahoo e-mail didn't work on IE anymore, had to reverse to yahoo e-mail basic.

Resolution for that one was: New yahoo e-mail works just fine from Mozilla Firefox.

New IE (I think it's 9) wouldn't allow me to send my time card for approval. Also fixed that by using Mozilla.

Anyone else?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Windows 8 comes with IE 10, and it does seem to have a few problems. If you can somehow downgrade to IE 9, you might have fewer issues--not sure if that's even possible, though.

Can you roll back to Windows 7? I think Windows 8 is sort of neat in a touch screen environment, but totally useless on a regular computer.

Simkie, think you are right - IE 10.

I had Windows XP prior. So no roll back to 7. Don't think that's even possible.

I was going to get the QuickBooks accounting and just read that the QB 2012 is not supported by Win 8.
    QB 2013 is though.

Why are they making everything so darn complicated?

I think Windows 8 really blindsided a lot of people and software companies.

And where the heck is my Microsoft Ball?
    You know the one on your desktop taskbar from which you can open programs and access recently used docs?

Can you take it back for a Windows 7 machine? Purchasing a computer with a new OS shortly after launch is usually an exercise in frustration. Especially something like Windows 8 that is just NOT looking promising.

If no, I'd spend some time googling "Windows 8 tips" and reading up on solutions that others have found. Here's a start:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ga...ix-them-962136

Default You can still get Windows 7 machines

I just bought a new laptop as well, but I made sure to get Windows 7 - I'm not touching Windows 8 yet. If you shop around you can find computeres with Windows 7 on them. I ordered mine from Tiger Direct. It is refurbished, but works fine and the price was very reasonable.

Christa

Thanks for the suggestions Simkie.

I will be patient through the issues, LOL.

And there are features I do like so far.

Don't forget there are other browsers, too! I have recently switched from Firefox to Chrome. There are things I like about FF that Chrome doesn't have & the other way 'round.

But I like them both better than IE

Got a new computer at work and has windows 8, hate it. Had it about 3 weeks now, still hate it.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I just learned not to hate Windows 7. Looks like I'm going to have a new OS to hate soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Got a new computer at work and has windows 8, hate it. Had it about 3 weeks now, still hate it.
    So at work, do you have the 'old' start button on your desktop taskbar?

We have Windows 7 at work and we do.

I am able to pin my most used spreadsheets in the start button and would like to be able to do the same at home.

According to the guy that built my computer, Windoze 8 is fine if you're into touch-screens. But if you're doing serious work, stick with 7. Most of his clients are small businesses.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Same here, DH just got me a new laptop with windows 8. It's a different approach for sure. I think once I get used to it, it will be fine tho. I love the touch screen feature. This laptop has a pivoting screen that folds back so the laptop becomes a tablet. Pretty neat. We'll see how it goes, and I'll take a note of this thread in case I run into problems that my hubby the Techie Wiz can't solve. It's all on him - he's the one who gave me that computer!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have friends who are computer whizzes and they are even frustrated by Windows 8. My trusty ancient desktop runs Windows XP; my laptop runs Windows 7. I'm in no rush to move to Windows 8 at all.