The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Yes, it is silly, but some people think that accounting for only the expense of SS makes sense. You have to start with basics.

That's a long sheet. I see about $565 million from SS income. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    The finger pointers are starting to look like the right wing nuts saying it's all someone else's problems and the magical fix is to lower taxes! I see LOTS of complaining, but no real solutions from you. WHAT a surprise.
    Solutions come from the people you elect to office. They are supposed to represent the people, do the people's bidding. So, You get the government you voted for!!!! The Trifecta of GOVT ponzi, Obama Reid and Garosi ( I mean Pelosi))

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I don't need to highlight that it is in millions, not hundreds, right

Well actually that is in billions, so 1,200 billion is actually 1.2 TRILLION.

2 members found this post helpful.

Noms--Just stop. You're embarassing yourself. SO glad we didn't get the big spenders in YOU voted for who thought the solution was to lower taxes, spend more on military, and go after the elderly.

Too bad the people YOU voted for are held hostage to Grover Norquist and are holding the whole country hostage so the rich can have the lowest tax rates in 80 years.

Default Stop spending

Or at least stop borrowing from China.

No one says POTUS should not take a vacation, just that he should pay for it. In hard economic times, with unemployment, foreclosures, etc, perhaps he should spend the holiday in Camp David, or oh, here's a novel thought, solving the looming fiscal crisis, instead of at the beach. Show some restraint and consideration. East Coast towns wiped off the map, school shootings, you look at your wife and say Honey, when I'm done with this job in 4 more years, we can go anywhere you want, but for now, we aren't going to the beach. You can go,take the girls, here's a map and a credit card, here's 2 secret service guys that are crack shots. Stay in nice hotels on your way, car's full of gas. I'm afraid I have to work.

The FLOTUS has a job? Not so much. A position. Okay, and certain things like wearing appropriate clothes when you are representing our Country

Like the rest of us.

6 members found this post helpful.

You gonna talk the talk, BTDT, ya gotta walk the walk

http://ospflor63.stanford.edu/upload...rill_Lynch.pdf

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/begfinstmtguide.htm

http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/index.html

Get to it!! Actually, it's great info and will help anyone who is trying to decipher or even analyze financial reports of any kind. What is key is how much is coming in verses how much is going out (revenue and cost analysis). If you dig it, you can even do some debt ratio stuff (although if you do you might freak out at how NON-solvent our GOV is LOL!!).

I'm off school until the 14th, think I'll get my house cleaned up and then go get tacos! From the real Mexican joint down the road. I'm very conservative but I think immigration is a good thing
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

On another note, you guys should check out 1600 Penn on Hulu. Great new show.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Thanks, twotru--I'm off to ride. I'll look at it when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Well actually that is in billions, so 1,200 billion is actually 1.2 TRILLION.
    Right, but for practical (and official) purposes the report is done in millions hence [$millions].

But we all know how to multiply LOL!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Or at least stop borrowing from China.

No one says POTUS should not take a vacation, just that he should pay for it. In hard economic times, with unemployment, foreclosures, etc, perhaps he should spend the holiday in Camp David, or oh, here's a novel thought, solving the looming fiscal crisis, instead of at the beach. Show some restraint and consideration. East Coast towns wiped off the map, school shootings, you look at your wife and say Honey, when I'm done with this job in 4 more years, we can go anywhere you want, but for now, we aren't going to the beach. You can go,take the girls, here's a map and a credit card, here's 2 secret service guys that are crack shots. Stay in nice hotels on your way, car's full of gas. I'm afraid I have to work.

The FLOTUS has a job? Not so much. A position. Okay, and certain things like wearing appropriate clothes when you are representing our Country

Like the rest of us.
    I LOFF YOU!!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I'm sorry. Mitt paid half the taxes you did?

So you paid $6,000,000, for instance, in taxes , in 2010?

Come on, and the Dick Cheney stuff, well why don't we talk about how Obama has benefitted with Solyndra, etc., etc.,.

Newsflash: politicians from each party, EQUALLY are crooked. Republicans do NOT have the corner on that market....

And why is it that the welfare queen on your block if she is forced off welfare, her only option is... a life of crime? So you are willing to pay her or she will commit crime??

How about she GET A JOB??? Now there's a thought. Not yelling at you, BTDT, just frustrated at the situation.
    2ndrygal--I agree with perfect pony. You're paying 150 in taxes and you're not rich????? I'm sorry, I live in a VERY expensive area, and if you are taking home more than 250k AFTER taxes, you're rich. Just because you can't afford that jet like the super rich, doesn't mean you're not.

Perspective is a good thing.

The wealthiest in our society are paying the LOWEST taxes in 80 years. Their income has gone up 300 % in the last 20 years, while it's about 56% for most people.

Not all of your ideas are bad, but start at the TOP, with the BIGGEST welfare queens, like the oil companies and Mitt Romney who pays half the taxes I do and made $20 million off of the auto bailout. I'd LOVE to get the drug addict welfare queen off my bill in my neighborhood, but putting her and her child on the street, and the crime it will cause, and what that will cost, and the hospital bills I will pay, and the jail I will pay at $40K a year is a LOT more than food stamps and section 8.

Perspective is a good thing.

4 members found this post helpful.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day while driving to work:

Trickle Up Poverty

It had obamas sugnature logo in the background.

It made me LOL!!!

7 members found this post helpful.

Your OWN facts. DoD spending 19% + 17% for other "security spending = 36%. That is WAY more than 20% of SS and 23% medicare. Unless you are cheating, everyone pays INTO SS, so that is not ALL expense.

Your lack of being able to add is astounding, as is Noms inability to.
    Sorry, 15 yard penalty for Roughing the Truth and loss of down.

There is a rather large difference between DoD and Homeland Security, DoJ, Treasury, etc. You might want to read the Constitution just to help yourself out, here.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Well I can tell you one thing...THIS would not be on my Plan:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...rs_692223.html

Does anyone find it interesting that Obama has always called for taxes on those families earning over $250,000 and, assuming no additional income source, it would all of Congress would not be hit?

Brilliant.

Not to mention, it's the congress who is supposed to determine the purse strings, not the president. One more in a long list of technically illegal actions by executive order. And am I the only one who thinks it's unconscionable to raise their wages by one thin dime? I think half of the belong in jail, the rest should be reduced in pay for sub par performance and the American citizens should be able to sue in court for failure to perform their fiduciary responsibility!

Ah, I was going to leave this because the hysterics never apologized for their lies and I didn't want to embarrass them.

Gnalli--Good with China. VERY disrespectful to think you think our POTUS and FLOTUS should be the first ever in history to have none of the same perks as any other president. The president works, what 7 days a week, 16 hours a day and you're going after him for a four day vacation? Want to save money? Get rid of secret service for all past presidents, their wives, and their families. THAT would save money. I'm sure you were ranting about doing all of this when Bush was in office, right?

Guilherme--Again, I appreciate your thoughts, but 20 yard penalty for roughing with the truth. I just finished teaching the Constitution. You're kind of sounding like the Tea Party nuts who always reference the Constitution, but don't know what's in it. There are no cabinets decided there. Washington was the first to appoint cabinet heads, and he did create a Department of War, which eventually became the Department of Defense. And you trying to explain away how Homeland Security and all other measures to protect a society are SO much different than what you clearly know I mean as military is disingenuous.

You still haven't bothered to acknowledge that you now get DoD and security spending is ALL JUST expense, and that we pay INTO medicare, so calling it an "entitlement" or whatever is just plain lying.

redalter--I agree with your frustrations. I have no perfect solutions. I don't know what to do with the welfare queen, but I am absolutely sure she would be MORE into crime than she is now. The police know here well from all the times I've called them on her. What are yours? AS for Solyndra, I didn't bring it up because the money "wasted" on that is nothing compared to Cheney's personal gain from Hailiburton, and all of the Solyndra research was done in the Bush administration--Obama just kept pushing it forward. And, yes, Romney pays less in taxes. He admitted to 15%. My tax rate is much higher. You should know what percentages are.

Noms--How heartless of you to think it's funny that we have the largest number of poor in this country and are rapidly losing a middle class because the top 1% have gained 300% in income, and you think it's funny that "poverty" is "trickling up" to them.

I don't understand the link. LMH. Obama can't order a pay raise. It is Congress who does that, so I don't know how it can even be possible. And the 27th amendment states that Congress cannot give themselves a pay raise unless there is an election in between the vote and the raise so we can vote their lazy asses out for it.

Sigh.......never mind. Very quietly turns off phone and walks away....

Yes, we're in a pickle, and have to do something. Perhaps we should think about how we got in this situation. When Social Security was established, how long were people expected to live after retirement? I remember reading somewhere that the average was under five years. What was the average hospital bill and hospital stay for an older person? What treatments were available for what conditions? What conditions were not considered treatable? What were the chances of a baby surviving if he/she were born at 27 weeks of gestation? Who housed older family members or disabled people when they could no longer stay in their own homes?

We've evolved into a higher cost society, and it's been by choice. If we want to go back to a lower-cost social and economic model, we have to agree to make some changes. We can't have our cake and eat it too.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I don't understand the link. LMH. Obama can't order a pay raise. It is Congress who does that, so I don't know how it can even be possible. And the 27th amendment states that Congress cannot give themselves a pay raise unless there is an election in between the vote and the raise so we can vote their lazy asses out for it.
    Another source, same information:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...p_ref=politics

It seems he did it by yet another of his famous dictator...I mean executive orders.

This is the behavior of the man.

Ah, I was going to leave this because the hysterics never apologized for their lies and I didn't want to embarrass them.

Gnalli--Good with China. VERY disrespectful to think you think our POTUS and FLOTUS should be the first ever in history to have none of the same perks as any other president. The president works, what 7 days a week, 16 hours a day and you're going after him for a four day vacation? Want to save money? Get rid of secret service for all past presidents, their wives, and their families. THAT would save money. I'm sure you were ranting about doing all of this when Bush was in office, right?

Guilherme--Again, I appreciate your thoughts, but 20 yard penalty for roughing with the truth. I just finished teaching the Constitution. You're kind of sounding like the Tea Party nuts who always reference the Constitution, but don't know what's in it. There are no cabinets decided there. Washington was the first to appoint cabinet heads, and he did create a Department of War, which eventually became the Department of Defense. And you trying to explain away how Homeland Security and all other measures to protect a society are SO much different than what you clearly know I mean as military is disingenuous.

You still haven't bothered to acknowledge that you now get DoD and security spending is ALL JUST expense, and that we pay INTO medicare, so calling it an "entitlement" or whatever is just plain lying.

redalter--I agree with your frustrations. I have no perfect solutions. I don't know what to do with the welfare queen, but I am absolutely sure she would be MORE into crime than she is now. The police know here well from all the times I've called them on her. What are yours? AS for Solyndra, I didn't bring it up because the money "wasted" on that is nothing compared to Cheney's personal gain from Hailiburton, and all of the Solyndra research was done in the Bush administration--Obama just kept pushing it forward. And, yes, Romney pays less in taxes. He admitted to 15%. My tax rate is much higher. You should know what percentages are.

Noms--How heartless of you to think it's funny that we have the largest number of poor in this country and are rapidly losing a middle class because the top 1% have gained 300% in income, and you think it's funny that "poverty" is "trickling up" to them.

Now I am really starting to think BTDT is really Obama posting on COTH because he's (yawn) tired of playing golf and needs something else to occupy his time...

5 members found this post helpful.