The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse scene near garberville california?

a dear friend has fallen for a ranch out there and is asking me to consider going in on it with her.
    what's the area like? i'm used to four seasons and lots of greenery, she says this is the emerald triangle and lush for california. she says it reminds her very much of vermont in the seventies, which sounds idyllic to me. and she promises the trails are fabulous, which is my main focus.

Garberville is out in the middle of no where, about 4 hours to any major cities. I can't imagine that there is much of a horse scene as it is awfully remote. The population for the area is less than 1,000.

I had a close friend that lived up that way for years (worked for a river restoration group). Lots of pot farms, logging, it has been called "the marijuana heartland of the US".

Beautiful redwood forest, large rivers, LOTS of rain in the winter (rain forest) dustings of snow, pleasant summers.

Known more as a camping destination, few live there year round.

As for horse scene, do not know of any, but if you are into endurance, the area is surrounded by parks with endless trails.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would seriously kill myself if I had to drive the 101 on a regular basis!

Beautiful, yes. But it truly is in the middle of nowhere.

Now, if you like solitude, you may love it.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been to Trinidad, which is also in Humboldt County. BEAUTIFUL, and lush indeed, but super quiet. We went over Spring Break, and it was WET and RAINY the whole time. Did I mention it's beautiful? Didn't see a single horse the entire time we were there, though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garberville,_California

Of course, I live in GA, so can only speak of what I saw in the space of 2 whole days.

Not much of a horse scene to speak of, but if you are into marijuana growing, you will fit right in!

From Wikipedia:

There is a Cannabis College in Garberville,[11] and the town has been called "the marijuana heartland of the US" by BBC News.[11]
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

OMG, i bet she's pulling my leg--she must know it's the weed growing capital,lol. she says the ranch she wants is a fifteen minute slow drive up a badly maintained mountain road. i think it sounds like a nice place to visit and ride for a month every year but too remote for full time living for me i think.
    thanks!

Yeah, if you go riding, be careful about going on other people's property. They have guns. I used to go to a horse camp up there and we carefully rode across people's property and made sure they had time to close barn doors and such. You don't want to go exploring there and accidentally find something.

Um... "Emerald Triangle" refers to it being part of a MAJOR pot growing area -- not anything about how "lush" it is, because it's not. It's hot and very, very dry in the summer.

It's beautiful, and while "on a highway" is actually an area that I would consider fairly remote, for the west coast. I wouldn't think there would be any kind of horse scene there of any sort. There just aren't enough people.

Driving in/out of there is fairly major. Windy roads. Very narrow in places. Not the kind of roads you'd want to trailer horses on very often. It's not close to anything at all. You would need to want an "alternative lifestyle" to settle there, IMO.