The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Sick at Christmas

Is there a worse time to be ill? Have a terrible virus, have barely been able to stay awake for an hour over the last couple of days. Was desperately hoping to use the Christmas period to gut my messy house and get things in order. As it is I am dizzy, sweating, shaking and either in bed or on the couch. I've put on the PC briefly to print some photos as a gift for my sister and ended up looking over the net in a bit of a daze. I can't focus and I feel very sick. I can't go see my horse who I wanted to spend quality time with as I am not safe to drive- luckily yard owner knows I am sick as and she is out with hers is keeping them all well supplied with hay and water. I live alone so I am seeing no one and have had to text friends to tell them to stay away as don't want them to catch it and can't guarantee I will be up when they visit.

End of woe is me moan. I'll probably be better by boxing day afternoon, just in time to go back to work.
    Horse Selling Hell
    My Writing
    People who think they know everything about horses know nothing

I hope you feel better soon!!

Just sleep and it will all happen later. I'm recovering, but I had that root canal and abscess, and the antibiotics made me so sick. I'm just looking at this as time to recover. I made it through work last week, came home, and slept 16 hours, then 14, and now I'm about 12.

It's not the day that matters. Catch up with your sleep and let your body recover. Sometimes you just have to. Good thoughts.

Sorry you're sick! My husband is sick, too. And I'm dealing with a broken ankle. Needless to say, we're staying home this Christmas.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I am so sorry that you are ill and alone. Sending warm Christmas jingles for you to feel better.

So sorry you are not feeling well! Hope you can find something nice and hot, and perhaps add a little to "ease the pain". BTDT is right - sleep, sleep, sleep. But so sorry you have to go right back to work, too.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I feel for you. It's miserable. I'm not exactly sick, but I'm in the middle of one of the allergy attacks that I get periodically every Winter. The ones that my allergy medications don't even touch. I cannot stop sneezing, and I'm not a lady-like sneezer. I scare the cats every time I let out a hearty ahhhhhhchoooooo. Add the runny nose and the bleary eyes to that and I'm not a pretty sight.

I've got a Christmas dinner to go to in a little while and I'm going because I'm not contagious, after all and it wouldn't be polite to not show up. But, I won't stay long. I haven't even left yet and, already, I can't wait to get back home.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

It IS an awful time to be sick, & I'm sending the very best wishes for a speedy recovery. Just go to bed & stay there (although do be sure to keep yourself hydrated!!!).

The Xmas before last I was sick as a dog for Xmas, & ended up having canned soup for Xmas dinner that year. We postponed our usual roast goose feast for later on in the week when I was feeling better. It's not the actual "day" so much, as being able to enjoy yourself with friends &/or family. So just concentrate on relaxing & feeling better now so you can enjoy yourself later.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Just sleep and it will all happen later. I'm recovering, but I had that root canal and abscess, and the antibiotics made me so sick. I'm just looking at this as time to recover. I made it through work last week, came home, and slept 16 hours, then 14, and now I'm about 12.

It's not the day that matters. Catch up with your sleep and let your body recover. Sometimes you just have to. Good thoughts.
    BTDT is so right... Just sleep. Drink lots of water and sleep.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

SUX

Hope you start feeling better.
    But, as another By Myself, make sure to have a friend call to check on you - dehydration can get serious very quickly.
    Keep sipping on liquids, replace what you lose through vomiting or the alternative at the other end.

{HUGS} - feel better by New Year's!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Me too! I. Haven't been sick in 3 years because I haven't been at work much due to disability. So my husband brings a nasty head cold home 3 days ago and gives it to me. I'm supposed to have 12 people over for dinner tomorrow night, but I had to move the whole shebang over to my inlaw's house and have my MiL cook all the stuff I prepared. I'm really pissed about it. 3 YEARS! grrrrrrr

Get well soon!
    You are what you dare.

Hoping you feel better soon. I'm getting over the 'grunge', given to me by my 7th graders. Still coughing and sneezing, but hope the worst is over. Drink lots of liquids, stay in bed, and enjoy watching "The Christmas Story" marathon.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Cancara, my kids, my parents and I have all had that same bug. My son wound up in the ER with pneumonia from it, and I haven't been that sick in a long time. Mr. Chai avoided it through just plain luck.
    The best Rx: rest, rest, rest, although I didn't take my own advice, I'm afraid.
    But if you do, and keep drinking plenty of fluids, you will recover. If it gets really bad, the ZPack worked wonders for my son and my Mom.
    Feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
    Hoping you feel better soon. I'm getting over the 'grunge', given to me by my 7th graders. Still coughing and sneezing, but hope the worst is over. Drink lots of liquids, stay in bed, and enjoy watching "The Christmas Story" marathon.
    Not sure if they get TBS & "The Christmas Story" marathon in the UK.

Me too. I think I have the flu (a lot of good that flu shot did, then!). I too will feel better just in time to work on Wednesday...