The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reading Suggestions for 11 yr Old Boy

My son is just getting into the book report stage of his acedemic career. The first one was a disaster, oral report and he kinda froze up. Next one was much better, still oral but we did a lot of practice at home and had him more organized.
    The first one was on one of the Wimpy Kid books, which are cute but don't do well for book reports, the second one was on a Carl Hiaasen book called Flush. He liked the book, I liked the book and it had enough of a plot line to carry a book report.

This time it needs to be a "winter" themed book, so Carl Hiaasen is out for this time. Tried another Wimpy Kid book, but I shot it down, no good plot line.

Any good books for boys that are set in the winter?

My 5th grader just finished a required reading book for school, that he seemed to enjoy and read willingly. By Marie McSwigan. It's about a 12 year old boy and his friends sneaking gold out of Norway when the Nazis invade. It takes place during winter. Fiction, but supposedly based on a true story.

ETA...sorry, forgot the title, it's called "Snow Treasure".
    Last edited by Canaqua; Dec. 24, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

John D. Fitzgerald's Great Brain series.

Any of the Percy Jackson ones. I'm sure he could relate it to winter somehow. Boys, especially, love those books. (I'm a middle school language arts teacher.)

If he likes Harry Potter, then I think he'd love a series called "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. The second one, The Dark is Rising, takes place during winter and you don't have to have read the first one to understand the second one. They're set in England (primarily Wales) and deal with the Arthur legends, but in a modern-day setting. I still love to read them!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have three boys; they all have/had different tastes in reading. One liked Wizards and Dragons, and so loved Eragon, and any dragon-themed book (Icefire, How to Train Your Dragon etc etc) . Another liked animal books, and devoured the Warrior series (about a bunch of cats). The third likes mysteries.

"Nerds" is a good book (it's a series): http://www.amazon.com/NERDS-National...keywords=nerds

Here's a book about the snow patrol during WWII that my son loved:
    http://www.amazon.com/Phantoms-Snow-...keywords=duble

Also, the books by Anthony Horowitz appeal to some boys -- they are about a young James Bond-like spy: http://www.amazon.com/Anthony-Horowi...6375722&sr=1-1

Good luck and have fun!

When I was in 4th grade my teacher had us read several of Gary Paulsen's books. He is a great author, the books are geared towards 10-14 year olds and usually have one or two "lessons".

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/garypaulsen/

Alex and Bodie's Mom - I loved those books!
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Tom Sawyer. I remember it was the first book I read start to finish, without putting it down.

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys. He isn't to into the dragons and sci fi type stuff but does like the true(ish) to life stories and mystery types. I think he would like spy novels and war books. He loves planes and has taken an interest in the military.
    He really did like the Carl Hiassen book and had another one picked out but the teacher threw a monkey in his wrench when she required it be a "winter" book. All of those books are set in the Florida Keys and while they do have winter in the Keys, it isn't a typical thing you think about when you think winter.

I second the Percy Jackson series, my son loved them and probably read them 6-7 each, as well as the Eragon series, then hunger games. You could also try Fablehaven, it's a more 'kid' read or down one from Percy Jackson.

My son who is a little older just started The Warriors Heir, I will ask him to review it later!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The book's reading level may not be high enough (if your son's teacher requires that, but if he's allowed to do his reports on the "Wimpy Kid" series, then my guess is he or she just wants them to READ.

Gordon Korman writes several series (they are always in a series of three and are continuations of one another) that are easy reads, right around 100 pages, and even my reluctant 8th graders are willing to dive into them. There is one centered around a group of children/tweens who are 'climbers,' and they are in the running to be a part of a group who trains and then climbs Mt. Everest.

It's not necessarily a 'winter book,' but it's got mountains and plenty of snow, so it may work. The title of this particular series is, "Everest."

Some other suggestions, though I've read many of these so long ago that I can't really recall if the winter months comes into play at all.

Anything by Jordan Sonnenblick. My remedial reading group at school LOVES him and will actually READ!

Gary Paulsen...Hatchet, Brian's Winter

If he's into outdoorsey stuff, another similar to Hatchet (but a MUCH better book with some lessons) is "Touching Spirit Bear" by Ben Mikaelson.

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"--holocaust historical fiction

"Code Talkers"--historical fiction about utilizing the Navajo language during war

Margaret Peterson Haddix is very accessible to tweens of both genders (Among the Hidden is the first book in a series my kids devoured years ago).

James Patterson's "Maximum Ride" series (though it's a bit science fictiony)

Anthony Horowitz's "Alex Rider" series (young British boy whose family was a bit like James Bond and he dives into the family business)

I'll ask around to my other teacher friends who teach in the lower middle school level to see about their suggestions and post back later.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

My cousin's 11 year old son, who LOVES to read, recommends, "A Season of Gifts" by Richard Peck.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

My Side of the Mountain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Side_of_the_Mountain

I loved that book.

Newbery Medal winner btw. Really well done. And plenty o' winter!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Jack London, Edgar Alan Poe, Eoin Cofer are just a couple.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    If he likes Harry Potter, then I think he'd love a series called "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. The second one, The Dark is Rising, takes place during winter.
    My dad got me The Dark is Rising first - I think it was the first one published in the US. "Over Sea, Under Stone" didn't find a US publisher until after "Dark" became a success. It STILL terrifies me when Will is in bed by himself at the beginning!! Wonderful, wonderful books.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

John Bellairs' The House With a Clock in Its Walls takes place in the fall/winter. Another good scary book!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    John Bellairs' The House With a Clock in Its Walls takes place in the fall/winter. Another good scary book!
    I forgot about those! I LOVED those. I wish I still had them, but they seem to have disappeared. Still have The Dark is Rising, though!

There is another book -- set in summer, sorry, and out of print -- called Sinbad and Me by Kin Platt that is excellent. It won the Poe Award for Juvenile Mystery and involves smugglers, codes, history, etc.

Seriously though, if you need a winter themed book, My Side of the Mountain mostly takes place in winter. It's good!!! I tried to load it on my kindle tonight in fact after chatting on this post. I'd love to read it again, but it's not available on Kindle except in audible.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

One of my favorites at that age was Scrub Dog of Alaska by Walt Morey. It is about a boy and the sled dog he rescues from a mean owner.