The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CWD pommel issue: bigger size or different brand?

Long story short my A/O is seemingly permanently broken. My CWD fit him just fine (never had any issues with any of my saddles on him) but it just doesn't do me justice.

I LOVE this saddle! It is beautiful, scrumptious leather, and a really comfortable seat. I got a great deal on it a couple of years ago. However, with my not as consistent riding and sitting in my old Beval Natural more (circa 1996), I was shocked at how much the CWD's pommel rubbed and the saddle fought my leg position. I guess I just got used to it when I was riding in it multiple times a week.

It's not very fun with the pommel in places it is not supposed to be! I am a very long legged rider (5'7'' all thigh) and moved up from a 16'' beval to a 17.5'' CWD with a 3C flap. My knee still comes to the flap edge on the CWD. But the saddle is so beautiful I'm afraid I won't find a saddle that fits me. I'd like my next saddle to be able to fit a variety of horses (think trainer panels) since I have no real show horse currently and am just catch riding.

CWD

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at104633AM.png

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at105004AM.png

This saddle is a 17.5 3C, does the flap look like it fits me properly? What size should I be looking for in other brands?

I sat in a Devoucoux a couple years ago and loved it (just for a short ride). However I have heard things about the saddles not fitting a variety of horses. I just don't want to sell this beautiful saddle and not find anything that fits me correctly (not that I think this saddle does exactly).

I'd also like the new saddle to be secure enough to do XC on as well as the hunters.

From your description, I really don't think your saddle fits you correctly. My computer is being a dink and won't load your pictures so I can't look at them, but it does not sound like a good saddle/person pairing at all!

Is there a CWD rep near you who you could talk to? I have 2 CWDs (one for my horse and one that fits a wider range of horses) and think they're both fantastic, but I've never had any issue with feeling like they put me in the wrong position.

I don't think it looks like it fits you either (after looking at the pictures). We're built very similarly, and I had a CWD rep out a few years ago and hated every single configuration I sat in. Identical problems with the pommel and I felt like it put me behind the motion.

It's funny that you mention loving your Beval Natural, as I recently returned to Beval after having a Tad Coffin and a Butet a couple years back. I LOVED my Tad Coffin, but I also really love my new Beval Devon. I know you say you want something secure for cross-country, but I enjoy not having to fight with the flatter Beval saddles. Maybe you should try a Natural again or a Tad Coffin (fits everything)?

Second the Tad Coffin. I am also 5'7" and long in the thigh and thin. I am not sure why the Tad Coffin fits me so well, except that my long thigh likes the extra room in the seat. I have a 17.5 in his size, and I think normal flaps. He will fit you perfectly from pictures. I did not get his deeper seat. I am more secure in that saddle than any before, and I think the reason why is because I can get my upper leg on evenly without it being pushed up out of the saddle by a deep seat. It is difficult to explain, but I can get my seat close to the saddle without being pushed toward the pommel. Other saddles have sort of pushed the top part of my thighs up and forward. I just think those long thighs need more room, not in the flaps but in the seat and this is best accomplished with seat that has a longer "flat area" that does not push your thighs up and forward. Hope this makes sense but I wasted a lot of years and money in the wrong saddle until I got the TC last year.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I would say no. You look like you might need a bigger seat size, though that might be fixed by a slightly more forward flap. Don't be afraid to go up a seat size, it doesn't mean that your assets are getting in the way, just that you have different conformation! In fact, you might like a bigger seat better. I was absolutely mortified going from a 17 to a 17.5, but it helped my position a lot.

That being said, you know I'm local to you, so if you're selling this saddle, I would definitely want to look at it.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Second the Tad Coffin. I am also 5'7" and long in the thigh and thin. I am not sure why the Tad Coffin fits me so well, except that my long thigh likes the extra room in the seat. I have a 17.5 in his size, and I think normal flaps. He will fit you perfectly from pictures. I did not get his deeper seat. I am more secure in that saddle than any before, and I think the reason why is because I can get my upper leg on evenly without it being pushed up out of the saddle by a deep seat.
    This is how I felt in mine too. Mine was a 17", and I'm currently riding in a 16.5" Beval Devon. I've found that I much prefer to be in a slightly smaller seat in the flat saddles.

Try a lot of saddles. When you sit in the right one you will know it. Good news a used CWD 17.5 with a 3C flap are really popular. So you should get a decent pric for it.

If you did a search on here of 'CWD friendly pommel' you would realize you are not alone. Then if you did a search for 'Inverness problem' you would see it's not unique to CWD.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

get the half flat (or half deep, depending on how you look at it) seat. It is still flat but has just enuf padding in the deepest part to completely cure the pommel problem. I cant ride in them otherwise.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    get the half flat (or half deep, depending on how you look at it) seat. It is still flat but has just enuf padding in the deepest part to completely cure the pommel problem. I cant ride in them otherwise.
    I have the half deep seat unfortunately :/

Also, not sure where to go in flap size from here...if the 3C is too small, do I need more forwardness or length? I hate being over flapped but I dislike being under flapped too if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    Also, not sure where to go in flap size from here...if the 3C is too small, do I need more forwardness or length? I hate being over flapped but I dislike being under flapped too if that makes sense
    I think you need more length, from the photos you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I have the half deep seat unfortunately :/
    I have a fully flat seat and have never had the pommel problems that other people have described

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Rea,

I too am a tall, leggy rider. (5'8")

I was having similar problems in my (soon to be) previous saddle, only I mistakenly bought one size too large. I had an 18" Butet flat seat with a 2.5 (long, forward) flap. The seat was too big and I found myself in the "chair" position a lot from the combination of a HUGE seat (measures 18.25") and a too forward flap, but at least I knew I needed a longer flap.

Talked to the CWD rep, who is awesome in this area By the Way, and he fitted me for a 17.5", semi-deep (SE02) 3L (extra long) flap, but not forward in the slightest. It rode like pure heaven.

After seeing your photos, I would say you need an extra long flap with the current forward setting you have, with a flatter seat to avoid the pommel. The longer flap would help drop the knee pads down to where you want them and would probably help your leg as well.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

It looks like you need a longer flap and maybe a bigger seat. Don't let the seat size deter you! I can ride in anything from a 17"-17.5". When I had my CWD rep come out, he told me to try an 18" CWD SE02 (semi-deep) with 3L flaps. It fit me soooo much better than my 17.5" Bruno Delgrange PJ Pro. I have zero issues with the pommel and I'm thrilled with this seat size/flap combo. I am 5'7"-5'8" with a very long hip to thigh ratio.

Contact CWD and they will promptly put you in contact with a rep!

I am built similarly, tall with long thigh, had the same saddle (except se01) and the CWD flaps are just not shaped for our kind of leg. Your flap length of 3 should fine, what isn't working is how much higher the most forward point of the flap is than your knee. When I tried an SE02 (half deep) with the same 3c flap, my leg shot all over the place and I couldn't find the middle of the saddle.

I had much better luck with Devoucoux and Voltaire's long forward flaps... the forward point of flap and my knee lined up much better, and didn't have a bunch of saddle flap sticking out above my knee like with the CWD.