The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back on Track Exerecise Sheet (Quarter Sheet)?

Does anyone have a Back on Track exercise/quarter sheet? It looks like there are two varieties - one is fleece fabric and the other looks more weather resistant.

Any opinions on either one? Does either one have a velcro closure at the front so that it can be used either under or over the saddle? Is there a keyhole cutout on either? It is very hard to tell from the pictures available online.

I'm looking at buying one for a horse that has issues with being very tight through his hindquarters and is really slow to warm up in the winter. I'd likely keep it on for the entire ride when I am doing flatwork only, but I might want the option to take it off for jumping. Or maybe not...depending on how much he likes it.

Also interested in whether or not people think it works well.

Thanks in advance!

I bought one from (IIRC) TOTD about a year ago. It is just a big rectangle with some small dee rings on it, no velcro or fitting.

Found it next to worthless other than as a piece of fabric, FWIW.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I bought one from (IIRC) TOTD about a year ago. It is just a big rectangle with some small dee rings on it, no velcro or fitting.

Found it next to worthless other than as a piece of fabric, FWIW.
    I have the fleece quarter sheet. It velcros in the front and I think it has a tail strap. It's quite heavy and stays in place well (even jumping if your just doing small stuff as part of warm up). I felt it ran a little small. It is a shavings magnet but I still like it!

Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the fleece one, especially if it has Velcro at the front. The more weatherproof one looks like it comes down farther on the sides, and that is the kind of thing that might annoy this horse. He can be a bit particular. I would honestly be satisfied with it even if it just acts as a normal quarter sheet, but thought I would give the BOT a try since this horse has an especially tough time freeing up the ol' buttocks in winter!

It's worth a shot. I think the pad DW is talking about is the "therapeutic horse back pad" which is different from the "therapeutic exercise sheet" (more of a quarter/exercise sheet). The back pad really is just a square. Now that being said I have both lol and the square pad I will throw on under a blanket while I get all my tack together, etc. and it really does seem to warm up the back by reflecting a lot of body heat. There are posts from many creative COTH'ers who have sewn that pad into blackets or clipped it on somehow behind their saddle to make it a mini quarter sheet but I'm not that savvy.

http://www.backontrackproducts.com/H...-Pad-p289.html

http://www.backontrackproducts.com/H...heet-p324.html

Ha, yes, we would definitely only get a true quarter sheet! This horse is nowhere near tolerant enough for me to be rigging something up! I think we are going to go for it. I'm hoping that worst case scenario is that we end up with a nice quarter sheet. Best case is that we get some benefit from the BOT properties.

I have the more weatherproof looking one.

It is quite long down the sides, and does have a velcro closure on the front along with a tail flap.

It's not too terribly heavy, and since I usually am under it myself, it doesn't really reflect the heat too well. It's a tad to thick to put under the saddle (I suffer from princess and the pea syndrome) so I usually just wear it during our walk/ trot warmup and take it off.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider's...ug/p/X1-24050/

I just got that one for Christmas and used it for the first time today. I actually really liked it. It kept my legs warmer than if they had been uncovered and I don't know if it helped my horses at all, but I'd like to think so. I don't really think it's necessary of course, but it is nice to have warmer legs haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding