The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Christmas eve is fondue, Christmas day is turkey and all that goes with it and New Years is a roast.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

1 members found this post helpful.

Spiral cut ham
    fresh asparagus sateed in toasted sesame oil
    yams
    yeast rolls
    winter fruit salad
    tiramisu
    mulled wine
    And a long winter's nap

Shrimp scampi and garlic bread for Christmas eve

Shrimp cocktail
    Salad
    Rib eyes
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    corn
    pumpkin pie
    cake
    On Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Thank you! If I'm feeling generous, perhaps I'll make that for the husband, since he requested ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Mr. PoPo is making sausage lasagne. We're pretty non-Xmas around here so it is just another day. Although the day after we are going to friends' house and Mr. PoPo is making butterscotch pot du creme...mmmmmmmmm.....
    I love butterscotch..that sounds so good.

We have vegis, chips and dip with smoked salmon and sour cream pizza for Christmas Eve.

I am roasting a nice previously happy, free range chicken with stuffing (corn bread ofcourse) mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus and apple pie for Christmas Day. But now all I can think of is butterscotch pudding....

For Christmas Eve, we're having steaks with mashed potatoes and green beans, with a tasty Napa cab.

For Christmas, we're making pancakes for breakfast, and then a ham with a cherry/zinfandel/maple syrup glaze, roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts, and a kale salad. Haven't decided on the wine yet...possibly bubbles! For dessert, a salted caramel cream pie.

For me, corned beef tonight, and ham tomorrow. I am a bit unconventional though for the most part. I had corned beef on Thanksgiving because I cannot stand turkey! It was so good I decided to do it again for Christmas Eve! We'll have a winter chop salad and some roasted veggies as well. For the picky child, I'm doing chicken breast and steamed cauliflower on both nights (it's all she wants).

At the home of MrB's parents, it will be turkey breast, honeybaked ham (I'm good for one slice, then about sodium-ed out), mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, baked beans, green bean casserole, appetizers of cheese ball and sausage balls... I'm hoping not the 'fruit salad' that is like orange juice with grapes and walnuts, because it always makes my mouth hurt...
    I enjoy their food well enough- his mom doesn't make a bad meal, but it's very down-home and heavy. And there's always way too much of it! It's mildly stressful because I'm really trying not to over eat and change my portion habits but I'm guilted into more than I want.

at the home of my parents (three days after Christmas) it will be seafood of some sort. Stone crab claws, shrimp and grits maybe? Or mahi mahi with a mango salsa? Lots of alcohol, lol. Dessert will probably be key lime pie.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

A ham, which is pretty simple, ham, whole cloves stuck into ham, some water in the base of the pan, cover with foil, put in the oven at 350 for about an hour and a half (its a small ham).
    We are also havin, rice, broccli and cheese casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and some corn.
    Just the two of us this year so we are having a big dinner tonight, left overs tomorrow and family time the rest of the week.

It's just myself & Mr. B., but we like to do Xmas up right. Our traditional meal for several decades now is always roast goose.

Full menu will be Spanakopita for pre-dinner snacks, then Julia Child's "Steam-Roasted Goose with Port Wine Gravy, Czech Bread Dumplings with Sauerkraut, Boursin Potato Gratin, Brussel Sprouts with Garlic & Breadcrumbs, my own tweaked & improved version of the infamous "Green Bean Casserole" (which hubby loves) & good old Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (another hubby favorite). Dessert will be a Mrs. Smith's "Razzleberry (read mixed berry) Pie" with whipped cream.

With all that cooking to do tomorrow (although I may make the dumplings today, since they reheat so well), our traditional Christmas Eve dinner is - wait for it - TAKEOUT PIZZA - lol!

Christmas Eve Vegan Meal:
    - Field roast apple sage 'sausages'
    - Cheezy broccoli fritters
    - Scalloped potatoes

Non-Vegan Meal:
    - Honey spiral ham
    - Scalloped potatoes
    - Cabbage rolls
    - Perogies

Christmas Day Dinner for the Vegans:
    - Field Roast stuffed roast
    - Broccoli and rice casserole
    - Stuffing
    - Apple Sage Sausage stuffing

Non-Vegans:
    - turkey
    - stuffing
    - wild rice casserole

Side dishes for both:
    - Garlic Pumpkin Mashed potatoes
    - Turnips
    - Salad

Dessert:
    - Vegan Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerChem View Post
    Pumpkin pie.

What do you mean that's not a main course?
    Of course it is...all the food groups. Dairy/protein, vegetable, grains (crust).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We are having meatballs, macaroni and cheese, and an undecided veg tonight. Tomorrow we are having cinnamon rolls for breakfast and pie.

My traditional family meal at Christmas always included shrimp so tonight I'm inviting friends over and having steamed shrimp, guacamole and hummus dips, latkes (I'm half Jewish and I often have them on Christmas Eve, don't know why), salad and two blue cheeses for dessert, followed by chocolate truffles and spiced pecans. Tomorrow I'm going to friends and it's the traditional turkey.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Tonight: leftovers

Tomorrow - if the weather holds - I'll drive to a friend's for his annual Open House. Missed the last 2 as driving was awful.

Food Frenzy there is always:
    Honeybaked Ham
    Beef Roast
    Fried Chicken
    Spaghetti - his own "secret" recipe based on bottled Ragu, but honestly it is so good everyone takes home as much as they can carry.
    Friends & relatives fill in with awesome homemade sides:
    Collard greens
    Mac & cheese
    Dinner Rolls
    Pineapple stuffing (my contribution - by demand of host)
    And more desserts than you can imagine including host's sweet potato pies.

This group is truly a case of "Friends are the family you choose" - most I only see once a year, at this gathering.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I made the cranberry relish and pumpkin pie today. Turkey with stuffing goes in oven tomorrow morning. We're going to friends for dinner tomorrow. They also have some sort of beef, shrimp, several kinds of vegs, I also take the black olives-my favorite, and a nice red wine. Very relaxed and a lot of fun. Also great since they live just down the road from us. Weather is supposed to be stormy. Who'd of thunk of thunderstorms for Christmas?
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Roast lamb, roast pork, duck, ham & various veg. It is a largish get together which is why so much meat
    Last edited by lolita1; Dec. 24, 2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Explain why so much food

Turkey and stuffing. This year instead of my usual mashed squash I am making a big pan of roasted veggies: squash, fingerling potatoes, leeks and brussels sprouts. DH makes a broccoli casserole; neighbor brings her homemade cranberry chutney. That's it. And pie for dessert, but not homemade. My grocery store makes very good, natural-juice pies and sells them by halves! So this year we get four flavors: pumpkin, apple, blueberry, and strawberry-rhubarb, for the equivalent of two pies.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Christmas Eve is Chinese food and a movie.

Christmas Day
    Roast duck with blueberry glaze
    Roasted red and sweet potatoes
    Bread
    Chocolate mousse pie
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    Christmas Eve is Chinese food and a movie.

Christmas Day
    Roast duck with blueberry glaze
    Roasted red and sweet potatoes
    Bread
    Chocolate mousse pie

You know, Xmas eve *used* to be a Chinese food meal before I married the old fart. Ah, well... burned a half dozen burgers on the grill instead. Let's hope tomorrow I won't do the same with the prime rib!