The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I grew up in Webster, this sucks!

This is a couple towns over from me. My older brother is also a firefighter & paramedic in Rochester. As soon as I read the news this morning, my heart about near dropped. Thankfully, he was not there.

But events like this make me even more terrified for his safety. These first responders put their lives on the line for people. This is nothing more than pure evil, and it makes me so sad for all the families affected. I will be praying a lot more for my brother, and his firefighter family on a daily basis. They are good people who do not deserve this.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

1 members found this post helpful.

The shooter was the same individual who, in 1980, killed his grandmother in that house. He served time until 1998, was on parole until 2006. He lived in the house and it appears that his sister lived there with him. She is missing. It appears he killed himself. In total, seven houses were destroyed by this fire because the fire department couldn't get in to fight it. The fire is now under control and they are looking for additional victims, if any.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

How does a felon get ahold of a weapon?

My heart goes out to the families involved

These two have been confirmed dead at the scene

thoughts and prayers for the ones Mercy Flighted to Strong: Theodore Scardino, Joseph Hofsetter & John Ritter

Both of my parents have been first responders for decades (40+ years each EMTs and several years paramedic) and I can't imagine what would drive someone to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post

Because other people have them and trust the guy. Or because he breaks in to someone's house and steals a gun that is unsecured.

I love going to the firing range, I'm not anti gun. But when are we going to get on top of the serious mental health issues that set people up to do this stuff??? SERIOUSLY!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

They buy it from a gun show or in a private sale. According to a Johns Hopkins study, (which by the way refutes the whole more guns less crime mantra:

Data from a national survey of inmates indicated that nearly 80 percent of those who had used a handgun in a crime had acquired it through a transaction with an individual who was not a licensed gun dealer

And, as far as the whole concealed weapons, right to carry laws equal less crime theory, from the same study:

"A large body of research has been conducted to investigate the effect of RTC laws on violence. Most notably, research led by John Lott, Jr. suggests that RTC laws have led to significant reductions in violent crime.69 But the research showing crime-reducing effects of RTC laws, including Lott’s, has been carefully reviewed by a National Council of Research panel of experts, and others, and has been found to have serious flaws. 70, 71, 72 The most consistent finding across studies which correct for these flaws is that RTC laws are associated with an increase in aggravated assaults. 70 Using various statistical methods, estimates range from a one to nine percent increase in aggravated assaults as a result of RTC laws. 70,72"

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/center...02512_CGPR.pdf
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Because other people have them and trust the guy. Or because he breaks in to someone's house and steals a gun that is unsecured.

SERIOUSLY!
    Or he buys one from a gun show or an unlicensed dealer or in a private sale.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Although I can't say what I think is wrong with people persay, I do know how scary some of our fire an ambulance calls are for our fire co.
    And people wonder why hubby and I are planning on carrying concealed to all calls next year. We get attempted suicides, assault, domestic issues etc. a lot of times we don't have the assistance of police or we get there before they do. Makes you think twice about responding sometimes.

Thinking of those involved. Best friend from high school moved here from Webster. Also friends in college from nearby. How horrible for the fire fighters and their families. Finally found the report on CNN about the shooter - hope no one else is found in the rubble.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Are these people having a contest to see who is the worst excuse for a human being?

NY Times article:

http://nyti.ms/W1URCy

This sickens me. Beyond all words.

Is anyone but me wondering WHY some nut job who beat his own grandmother to death, with a hammer was free at all? 17 years punishment for bludgeoning an old lady is enough to set him free? What the Hell am I missing?
    Prisons are full of petty criminals, like people who have a felony conviction for possessing with intent to distribute, larceny, failure to pay chid support, and this majorly messed up guy is free?
    Thankful he is gone now and will never kill again, but my heart bleeds for the families of his victims.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Is anyone but me wondering WHY some nut job who beat his own grandmother to death, with a hammer was free at all? 17 years punishment for bludgeoning an old lady is enough to set him free? What the Hell am I missing?
    Prisons are full of petty criminals, like people who have a felony conviction for possessing with intent to distribute, larceny, failure to pay chid support, and this majorly messed up guy is free?
    Thankful he is gone now and will never kill again, but my heart bleeds for the families of his victims.
    I agree. He should have never gotten out of prison. You take a life, you give yours up.

5 members found this post helpful.

His sister is still missing, as of the early morning news. I'm betting he killed her first.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I live only a couple of miles away from the scene. No names released yet, but those firefighters are from my town. The town I grew up in. The town where we never used to lock our doors. The town that has grown exponentially since those days. I find it unreal and incredibly sad.

This is the second time in a year that these firefighters have had to deal with horrible tragedies. Just about a year ago, a young man shot and killed members of his family, then set the house on fire. It was these firefighters who had to deal with that crisis. Now, to lose two of their own is just unbelievable.

We have not heard that the shooter, or shooters, have been captured. I have locked myself in, but just as a paranoid precaution, I think. There are thick, snowfilled woods between the scene and here, and the shooter would have to cross a major highway.
    My sister in law grew up in Webster, her mother and sister still live there. She usually goes home for Christmas, but is here in Mass, as her mother is in FL this year. I have not been there, but SIL tells me that it was a great place to grow up. Very, very, sad .

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    in some cases because the prisons are full of non violent drug users thanks to the war on drugs.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post

My heart as well.I cannot imagine.

But this is, of course, a major point. My clients can get them from friends, (!!), on the street, less likely by breaking in but sure, if they spot one in the course of another crime. but the point is they have NO TROUBLE, even in New York with its strict gun laws, getting firearms. And of course they don't go to a licenced firearms dealer-they don't usually go to a pharmacist to get meth either. And they will ALWAYS find a way to get them.

And if we are going to say "lock 'em up forever" we had better be prepared to pony up, a LOT, to build more and more warehouses/prisons and kick up the funding to DOC which is never, ever popular, so probation officers do not have case loads of 90000 to have to track. And I do hope we do that-I would pay a lot more for DOC funding.

Press conference in progress now. Sister of shooter still missing. Shooter armed with three weapons, a hand gun, a shotgun and a (I think I got this right) a Bushmaster 220 with a flash surpressor. I don't know guns at all so don't know what that Bushmaster is.

The shooter left a two or three page typewritten note. It is not being released yet because it is evidence but the Webster Police Superintendent did read one sentence. This quote may not be exact but it's pretty close. "I still have to see what I can do about burning the rest of the neighborhood down and doing what I like to do best -- killing people." I cannot adequately express the revulsion that sentence makes me feel.

Literally sickening.

Didn't the guy in Connecticut also use a Bushmaster?