The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WTF is wrong with people- firefighters shot responding to a call

http://www.abc2news.com//dpp/news/na...-in-western-ny

4 firefighters shot; 2 dead in NY blaze

Posted: 10:21 AM
    Last Updated: 15 minutes ago

UPDATE | Authorities in NY: 4 firefighters shot, 2 dead at blaze near Rochester.

WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) -- The police chief in Webster, N.Y., says that four firefighters were shot while responding to a blaze in the town near Rochester and that two are dead.

Chief Gerald Pickering says "one or more shooters" fired at the firefighters Monday morning. Officials say they had arrived at the scene of the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore around 6 a.m.

Officials say a fire started in one home and spread to two others and a car. Officials say there is no active shooter at the scene.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I live only a couple of miles away from the scene. No names released yet, but those firefighters are from my town. The town I grew up in. The town where we never used to lock our doors. The town that has grown exponentially since those days. I find it unreal and incredibly sad.

This is the second time in a year that these firefighters have had to deal with horrible tragedies. Just about a year ago, a young man shot and killed members of his family, then set the house on fire. It was these firefighters who had to deal with that crisis. Now, to lose two of their own is just unbelievable.

We have not heard that the shooter, or shooters, have been captured. I have locked myself in, but just as a paranoid precaution, I think. There are thick, snowfilled woods between the scene and here, and the shooter would have to cross a major highway.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I said the same thing! People are insane. Those poor families of those firefighters. Godspeed to the ones that were lost
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I have friends that live on the other side of the bay and many family and friends who are volunteer FF throughout the area. I can't imagine what would cause someone to shoot at people selflessly risking their lives to save others...

Man, I'm really enjoying the country life these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I live only a couple of miles away from the scene. No names released yet, but those firefighters are from my town. The town I grew up in. The town where we never used to lock our doors. The town that has grown exponentially since those days. I find it unreal and incredibly sad.

This is the second time in a year that these firefighters have had to deal with horrible tragedies. Just about a year ago, a young man shot and killed members of his family, then set the house on fire. It was these firefighters who had to deal with that crisis. Now, to lose two of their own is just unbelievable.

We have not heard that the shooter, or shooters, have been captured. I have locked myself in, but just as a paranoid precaution, I think. There are thick, snowfilled woods between the scene and here, and the shooter would have to cross a major highway.
    Stay safe Louise!!! That's scary.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

This saddens me to no end. I was a volly FF for 10 years in a small rural town. I am praying for the families and the brothers and sisters who fought side by side with these FF's. God Speed.

I cannot imagine this when we put our lives on the line to rescue and save other peoples lives and property to only have to worry about one more thing.

The only thing I hope is that this was not from a shooter but from live ammo exploding due to the fire but we all know that people are so ignorant to play god with someone elses life.

So, so sad.

Firefighters are everyone's heroes.

People have truly gone off the rocker.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Press conference on TV right now. They believed that the shooter is dead at the scene.

I am wondering whether the shooter had something in the house he/she wanted no chance to be found. What a tragic situation.

My sister called my mom in panic this morning, as she lives just a few miles from there. She was home with her son and was supposed to be coming to Buffalo this morning, but there was SWAT team everywhere and they had been advised not to leave the house unnecessarily. At that time they didn't know if the shooter was still at large.

So incredibly sad, and bizarre.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I am wondering whether the shooter had something in the house he/she wanted no chance to be found. What a tragic situation.
    Speculation on air that the fire was set as a trap. Logical since the original call was for a house AND a car on fire.

Just unreal. It's not enough that firefighters risk their lives running into a burning building? They have to also worry about getting shot?

The NRA will probably say the firemen should carry guns. Because they don't carry enough gear already.

9 members found this post helpful.

Speculation on air that the fire was set as a trap. Logical since the original call was for a house AND a car on fire.
    That was my first thought as well.

I just saw a neighboring town's fire unit and ambulance go by, sirens blaring. I am praying that they didn't find anyone burned to death in those houses. There were four houses completely destroyed and four more damaged because the firefighters couldn't get in there to do their job.

A fact that is just emerging is that the house where the fire originated was involved in a horrific incident 20 years ago where a son bludgeoned his mother to death. He is still listed as the owner of that house. He served 17 years for that crime. Let me stress that there is no evidence that this man was involved in this incident at this time.

I just saw a neighboring town's fire unit and ambulance go by, sirens blaring. I am praying that they didn't find anyone burned to death in those houses. There were four houses completely destroyed and four more damaged because the firefighters couldn't get in there to do their job.

A fact that is just emerging is that the house where the fire originated was involved in a horrific incident 20 years ago where a son bludgeoned his mother to death. He is still listed as the owner of that house. He served 17 years for that crime. Let me stress that there is no evidence that this man was involved in this incident at this time.
    Wow. I've been to Webster and the surrounding area a million times for horse-related activities. I never would have expected such a thing there.

So tragic.

you mean he/she/it was gunning for a SPECIFIC person who happened to be a firefighter? that would make more sense than someone just trying to shoot firefighters in general. Shooting firefighters in general is the very definition of insanity/evil. They, like all selfless emergency rescue personnel, are sacrosant. Everyone may someday need to be saved by them, so everyone needs to respect their special status out of a selfish desire to survive. Anyone deliberately shooting at firefighters has indicated they don't want nor deserve to be part of our society anymore. The kind of person the death penalty should be reserved for.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a BIL & SIL in Webster and a BIL Rochester police. They've been trying to update us in FB. So sad. Our neighbor just lost their house Thur. to a fire and I can't imagine someone opening up on them. They are volunteer units putting their life on the line.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    you mean he/she/it was gunning for a SPECIFIC person who happened to be a firefighter? that would make more sense than someone just trying to shoot firefighters in general. Shooting firefighters in general is the very definition of insanity/evil. They, like all selfless emergency rescue personnel, are sacrosant. Everyone may someday need to be saved by them, so everyone needs to respect their special status out of a selfish desire to survive. Anyone deliberately shooting at firefighters has indicated they don't want nor deserve to be part of our society anymore. The kind of person the death penalty should be reserved for.
    It's a volunteer fire department. I don't think anyone could have known what specific individuals would respond to an alarm.

News update with the names of the firefighters. My thoughts are with their loved ones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2358822.html

Louise, the press conference was just on and they said the shooters' name, and the fact that he had served time in prison for beating his grandmother to death years ago.