The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Project Feeder Watch

It is that time of year when bird feeders attract wonderful Winter feeding flocks.

For some who participate in Cornell U Project Feeder Watch, it is a chance to contribute to Citizen Volunteer science projects. I believe our Louise is one such person

I have heard, this year, we are having a Siskin upswing, I know from PFW that Siskin and other finch species regularly have pendulum swings from one region of the states to another. I m seeing large flying flocks regularly. Some co-workers are reporting stunning amounts of feed being bought.

I have no yard / feeder and would love to hear about everyone's feeder activity and see photos too.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

No feeder here but have heard cedar waxwings, chickadees and have a yardfull of grouse and partridge tracks.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Yes, I would say there is a definite Siskin upswing this year, at my house anyway. We had a huge flock and then started getting dead birds every week. It turns out they are very prone to salmonella and can infect the area, so I had to take my feeders down. I am hoping that they will have moved on by spring so I can go back to feeding my regular birds.

Yes, I am doing Project Feederwatch again this year. It's so much fun, and serves such a good purpose. No siskins here on the opposite side of the country that I have seen. As a personal observation, what I am seeing is an influx of juncos. For the past several years, I have seen none at the feeders. Yesterday and today are my weekly count days and yesterday I counted 11 juncos. Every day, I see a whole flock of them around my house.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

We didn't see any Grosbeaks on their way South this year, we catch them sometimes. Such unusual looking birds for us Southerners.

What's a good site with photos to identify the birds at our feeder?

I haven't had a feeder in several years and decided to start feeding again this fall. I had VERY little activity until about a month ago. Now the feeder is empty within 24-48 hours.

We had a Northern Parula pecking at our bedroom window in June. That was a lovely treat.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    What's a good site with photos to identify the birds at our feeder?

I haven't had a feeder in several years and decided to start feeding again this fall. I had VERY little activity until about a month ago. Now the feeder is empty within 24-48 hours.

We had a Northern Parula pecking at our bedroom window in June. That was a lovely treat.
    Cornell

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/id

http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/

The best paper source is a Peterson Field Guide.

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a ton of juncos here year round, haven't had any grosbeaks so far and very few american goldfinches. The towhees are present and accounted for as are the nuthatches and chickadees and lincoln sparrows. I love birdwatching.

Oh, I had a lot of american goldfinches here until a few weeks ago. There are still a few hanging around but I'm not filling the niger seed feeders nearly as often. I have a flock of seven wild turkeys that come for the seed I scatter on the ground. I'm a little worried because yesterday I only saw six of them. They were just leaving, however, when I looked out of the window so I'm hoping that I just didn't see the seventh. I love birdwatching, too, Crackerdog.

Used to do Project Feederwatch but there is only so much birding and horse activity you can squeeze in along with a full-time job and I do some other citizen science projects (Christmas Bird Count, two breeding bird survey routes, etc). But I agree it is a very worthy project, run in Canada by Bird Studies Canada (an organization close to my heart since I was on the board).

Finch activity seems to be quite local this year. I have had a lot of goldfinches at my feeder but no siskins and a few redpolls while redpolls and siskins are much more abundant at the feeders where I walk my dog everyday. My feeder birds include juncoes, cardinals, both species of nuthatches, blue jays, Tree Sparrows,Mourning Doves and the other usual suspects (chickadees, etc.)

We've had a good irruption year for Pine Grosbeaks and Bohemian Waxwings and for White-winged Crossbills and Evening Grosbeaks. We're still in the deciduous forest region here (St. Lawrence Plain bird conservation region to be exact) and not in the mixed or boreal forest. Snowy Owls (regular in the farm fields here) are starting to show up, and there have been a few reports of Great Greys (when they irrupt, what fun for birdwatchers!). I see huge flocks of Snow Buntings, Lapland Longspur and Horned Larks on my drive to the barn everyday.

At our Christmas Bird Count site, we had extraordinary numbers of Robins this year. THis area usually has a few overwintering Robins in certain spots, but the numbers have really been increasing in the past few years and Robins have become more common in the suburbs in the winter. Basically, in our count in a local conservation area, they were everywhere, crawling along the forest floor and shrubs in search of fruit.

Just wanted to add that feeding and watching birds is a great pleasure. If you don't do it currently, give it a try. Although bird feeders are not as popular here (or as politically correct) as they used to be, they are well worth it. I took a break in the Xmas preparations to look out at the feeder. Two MODOs and a junco were about a foot from my patio door, cleaning up some seed I spilled when filling the feeder.

I could go on and on but I have to decorate my Christmas tree. Happy feederwatching!
    Last edited by Vesper Sparrow; Dec. 24, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: extra thought

I had quiet a few different birds in my front yard this morning (no feeders though)

the little doves are always so pretty, Cardinals, a woodpecker and several other birds I am not familiar with. one seemed to be hardly larger than a hummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Stellar Jays! It has been several years since any have been around our place (west end of the Columbia Gorge, 20 miles from Portland, OR); they seem to have squeezed out by the Gray Jays. Chickadees, house sparrows, yellow shafted flickers, Towhees (rufous) have been hanging around our feeders this fall and early winter. Saw a magnificent Pileated Woodpecker on an oak, too. I need to get my Sibley's Guide out and sit down to ID all the birds. The giant flock of starlings, bronze cowbirds and Brewer's blackbirds have moved on.

We also have a sharp-shinned hawk wintering over here-such a gorgeous bird. The barn owls are active this year--they've been absent for two years, but have been hooting and whistling up a storm the last few nights. Love that sound.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Mr. Chai joked this afternoon that he's going to buy me a pair of Khaki Shorts and a matching shirt like Jane Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies because I've become such a rabid birdwatcher.
    I've always loved my feeder birds, our barn swallows, and the owls we used to hear on our farm but now that I'm living on the ocean, it's been really fascinating. During the last big storm, a Mountain Bluebird was blown here to the Northeast Coast and just today I saw four swans, 2 black backed gulls and four Buffleheads. Plus the regular Herring gulls.
    I'll be hot on the trail of the Snowy Owls that come to Salisbury Reservation, and the Eagles that come down the Merrimack River in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Stellar Jays! It has been several years since any have been around our place (west end of the Columbia Gorge, 20 miles from Portland, OR); they seem to have squeezed out by the Gray Jays. Chickadees, house sparrows, yellow shafted flickers, Towhees (rufous) have been hanging around our feeders this fall and early winter. Saw a magnificent Pileated Woodpecker on an oak, too. I need to get my Sibley's Guide out and sit down to ID all the birds. The giant flock of starlings, bronze cowbirds and Brewer's blackbirds have moved on.

We also have a sharp-shinned hawk wintering over here-such a gorgeous bird. The barn owls are active this year--they've been absent for two years, but have been hooting and whistling up a storm the last few nights. Love that sound.
    We have a few Steller's Jays, downy, hairy, and pileated woodpeckers, and a couple northern flickers. This year we have not seen any european starlings, but we did get some purple finches and red crossbills. We also have a sharp shinned hawk that patrols the area, one day it chased a mourning dove into my bedroom window. The dove died and the hawk was knocked silly for quite a while.

As a matter of fact, had four Pine Siskins at my feeder today (Frederick County, Maryland). Since it was snowing most of today, we had a lot of activity in the backyard: the usual American Goldfinches, Caroline Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, House Finches, juncos, and White-throated Sparrows, Carolina Wren, lots of N. Cardinals and Mourning Doves as well. I also get lots of woodpeckers (we have a quarter-acre, mostly wooded), and Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied, and Pileated are regular visitors. I've had Red-headed Woodpecker visit once, and host Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers every winter. I had lots of Purple Finches coming through earlier this month, but they seem to have moved on.

I keep a yard list, and have seen 90+ different species in the 16 years we've lived in our home. And yes, birds are a major passion of mine! (along with horses)

For his Xmas gift, my cat has asked me to sign him up for Project Feederwatch.

I hate to tell him no, but I can't see him making a real contribution towards the science of ornithology or species preservation.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would love to have a birdfeeder, but it would be like putting out a dessert bar for my cat.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I would love to have a birdfeeder, but it would be like putting out a dessert bar for my cat.
    The few that bite the dust needed culling anyhow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Louise, you have Goldfinches in Rochester?? WTH haven't they migrated?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

A few goldfinches have been sticking around for the Winter, the last few years. They used to all go South. I'm waiting to see if we have another irruption of Common Redpolls this year. The year before last, they were here in force, dozens of them. I was going through ten pounds of Niger seed every four days. It was expensive, but so exciting to see them all.