The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

2bayboys: Where did you read that I do not support owning guns ? My husband owns a gun.

I am amazed at the lack of reading comprehension, I actually quoted myself to repeat and clarify my position. Based on your post, I'm not sure why I bothered.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stolen virtue: You wrote "gotta love those still clinging to their guns" and use words such as "gun lovers" to describe those who don't subscribe to your views. Which admittedly are somewhat obscure to me. You say your husband owns a gun. Noted. Other than that I'm not quite sure where you stand.

And since you repeatedly take a dig at my reading comprehension, the spelling of "amendment" is NOT ammendment. Thank you.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash

Well, we shall see how it plays out. I am quite sure those on the reservations up here will not be happy to hand over their firearms to more white feds. I think they already saw how that went. A good example.

I do not perceive those who support gun rights as "clinging" to anything, anymore than I consider those supportive of gun control as "ignorant idiots". Perhaps we will wind up with lots of "gun free zones" such as, perhaps, the place where you live. These areas will be clearly identified, so EVERYONE knows where there are no guns and where citizens are likely to be unarmed. Evidence would show that strict gun laws do not actually reduce crime in those areas, however, so those of us NOT in favor of stricter laws are naturally unenthusiastic about adopting such measures. In other areas, therefore, people will be allowed to carry. It would be hard to imagine montana, wyoming, idaho, or utah populations surrendering their firearms. Or Colorado, now that they have to defend their weed. Legal or not, drug dealers can get a little cranky. Or even Vermont. I don't know but I have an idea that many of the southern states are not going to hand over their firearms easily either. But if California, New York, Mass and Ct want to declare themselves as gun free zones, I guess we'll see how that works and compare crime statistics.

4 members found this post helpful.

MHM is right. Stiffer penalties probably won't deter the crazies, but I think it would keep them out of circulation a lot longer....maybe forever. But then again, we'd have to shell out the monies to cover such things and who wants to do that? As Lillitiger2 mentioned, we like to lock away our problem people but do nothing to prepare them for their return to society. Nor do we want to spend the bucks for their rehab. Then we wonder why they continue to commit crimes upon release. As I heard one person say, "...we are living in a Godless society and until we change that, these senseless killings aren't going to stop, no matter how many laws we enact to control guns..." They are right! More laws don't deter the lawless to conform.

But if California, New York, Mass and Ct want to declare themselves as gun free zones, I guess we'll see how that works and compare crime statistics.
    Let's drop CT from that list, please.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Stolen virtue: You wrote "gotta love those still clinging to their guns" and use words such as "gun lovers" to describe those who don't subscribe to your views. Which admittedly are somewhat obscure to me. You say your husband owns a gun. Noted. Other than that I'm not quite sure where you stand.

And since you repeatedly take a dig at my reading comprehension, the spelling of "amendment" is NOT ammendment. Thank you.
    So you cannot be bothered to read post 176 which has my position stated twice ? I guess it so much eaier to react the "gun lovers".

This is why there is no real conversations on this issue of guns and the second amendment. Thank you for the spelling correction, I guess that is all I can expect from those that oppose my opinion but cannot be bothered to read my posts.

Oh please, on the godless society bullshit. More people have been killed in the name of god...

Returning to medieval mentalities would only benefit this subject in one way - there WERE no guns back then.

In the end its like everything else, it boils down to personal culpability. Since society has proven itself to be incapable of safely having personal weapons, what happens now? Nothing? Or Can we actually own up to the monster we have inadvertently created by paying mindless service to the 2nd amendment and begin to change?

Its going to be interesting, for sure. I would love to see Accurate statistics on education and gun ownership.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    In the end its like everything else, it boils down to personal culpability. Since society has proven itself to be incapable of safely having personal weapons, what happens now?
    Society has proven to be incapable of a lot of things these days..... that is part of the problem.

. I would love to see Accurate statistics on education and gun ownership.
    well its not data necessarily but I have a Phd, my colleague who also hunts and is teaching his 8yo to shoot, has a Phd, the psychiatrist to whom I refer has an MD (and a gun rights supporter), my husband, among other things, was a news correpondent in the USMC,my profs in grad school all had Phds (and many were gun owners), many co-workers at the VA (social workers with MSWs and other Phds). The moderating variable here is income, at least according to one study I saw a while ago, likely new ones out. As income increases, so does the rate of gun ownership, so to the degree that education is associated with higher income, it also will be associated with gun ownership. Interestingly, one study found that those with less than a high school education were least likely to have a gun, again likely due to income. I think, as another author noted, one aspect is that some see gun rights as a privilege while others see it as a right. That's a big divide.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    Society has proven to be incapable of a lot of things these days..... that is part of the problem.
    Yes but the issue at hand is guns. We have proven ourselves, as a society, unable to handle the responsibility of owning guns. Not me, or you, or anyone on this thread. Society as a whole.

So now what?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

According to this study ( and I have no idea how accurate it is):

http://www.statisticbrain.com/gun-ow...-demographics/

42% have a high school education or less.
    Interesting.
    ---

Interesting.
    Cool site. Why would having only a high school education and owning a gun be a concern?

After reading this statistic I think we need to keep guns out of hands of college grads. http://www.statisticbrain.com/colleg...ng-statistics/ It also looks like alcohol kills more college students than guns on campus.

Yes but the issue at hand is guns. We have proven ourselves, as a society, unable to handle the responsibility of owning guns. Not me, or you, or anyone on this thread. Society as a whole.

So now what?
    I think the issue at hand goes way beyond just guns. I realize that is the subject of this thread, but it is so much more than a gun problem.

So what now? Honestly, I don't know. But focusing on gun bans, gun restrictions, etc, will really only impact the law abiding gun owners, who have not committed any crimes. The criminals will still do, obtain, and use whatever they want to carry out their crimes. And I don't know what the solution is.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's long (you are warned) But Larry Correia spelled it out in his blog.
    He covers

Armed teachers, Gun free zones and how the media makes things worse.

https://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2...and=d6eaefb67d
    Got Moles? Call Avagadro.

Interesting.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in those numbers if you add them up you get 150%

College Post Grad 30%
    College Graduate 37%
    Some College 41%
    High School Graduate or Less 47%

On the bright side 108% have over a HS education.
    Got Moles? Call Avagadro.