The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Sorry another blanket thread...best med weight turnout under $200?

It seems we've had lots of blanket threads, but I guess it's that time of year...I need some help deciding on Miss Mare's next blanket.

Mare is not a hard fit, but I do find some blankets will rub her shoulders (not in the front, but on the sides of her shoulder blades). Normal withers, sort of long back (ASB), neck maybe set a bit higher than normal, but not of the huge high necked ASB variety. She wears a 78". Generally not hard on blankets, but she's turned out with 2-4 other horses, in all sorts of weather. She prefers to stay out in the weather...be it rain, freezing rain, or snow. Has been wearing a Rhino medium weight for two years as needed (I don't generally blanket until it stays below freezing consistently, or is wet. She has a full winter coat and is quite yakish).

I'm not impressed with the Rhino. For two years of not hard wear, it definitely needs to be replaced. And it rubs her shoulders. Blanket before the Rhino was a Weatherbeeta Taka that fit pretty well (or at least better than the Rhino).

So.

I wanted to try one of the Horze high necked blankets, but it seems I'm late in ordering, and most sizes and styles are sold out.

Other choice is the Schneider's Storm Shield Vtek Marathon. http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...band-turnouts/
    I've read mixed reviews on Schneider's...some people love them, some are meh, and some have had horrible experiences with blankets not even being waterproof right out of the box. I really don't want to find out the blanket is not waterproof when I have a soaked horse in a blanket in below freezing weather. But this blanket looks awesome? And the reviews on the site are great.

Also interested in the Smartpak Deluxe high necked turnout: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

And the Weatherbeeta 1200d Freestyle high neck: http://www.smartpakequine.com/weathe...A&cm_vc=UpSell

Recommendations from those who've tried these blankets? Or other suggestions. Under $200. TIA.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Dover Northwinds. 2-year guarantee and about $185 on sale now, IIRC. And yes, very good in rain.

Amigo mio. Hands down amazing. Have one for each of our horses and it keeps them so warm and lovely. Plus you can get them for $90.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

The VTeks do not close well at the neck and my horses shoulders and backs were always wet and they would get rubs on their chests/shoulders due to the wetness. It is also a really heavy blanket, weight-wise and not all that comfortable to wear all the time.
    I still have one to use if I need an extra layer for a sick horse but it is used under another sheet due to the shoulder leaking.
    I am one of those people who bought a new blanket every year because I hated the previous year's blanket. Until I bought the Rambo Wugs. Worth every penny. Horse stay dry, the blankets are comfortable for them to wear. NO rubs. They might lose a little mane, because it's a high neck and they have long manes, but probably only so I notice. It's a $300 blanket instead of $200 but so worth it.
    Last edited by Stacie; Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

My two favorites are the Weatherbeeta 1200d and the Horseware wugs. (The HW is looking a bit older now but this is winter #3.)

Just got Weatherbeeta 1200d turnout sheet and I'm very happy with it. It's very durable and it looks very, very sharp on my girl!! It fits her well, with no rubs. The Freestyle darts are forward so it's really good for range of motion. I get compliments on it all the time!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Absolutely love my Freestyle blankets, cannot reccomend them enough. I have an older Riders International sheet which I love the fit of too (arguably more than my Freestyles). Just remember to order your Freestyle a size smaller than normal, they run big.

Default Another vote for Amigo

These are my best fitting, longest lasting blankets. I am slowly replacing my schneiders and other company blankets with these. Although I have one from State Line Tack that is right up there with my Amigo's.

PKN

My personal favorite is Centaur Ultras but getting harder to find...

Dislike Amigo personally....

I just ordered a Smart Pak delux so I will update once I get it in.

Weatherbeetas are nice but fit can be hit or miss.

I like the Centaurs as well..

Equus Now has Rambo Wug med wt blankets for $236...so just slightly more than your budget (and I think they ship free). I'm a Rambo fan and don't hold Rhino against them...the Rambos are much much better. I lucked out and got the 20% discount after T-day so that made it an exceptional deal. I wonder if they will do something after Christmas?

I've never had good luck with anything Weatherbeeta, as fit never works on my guys and durability has been a problem. I skip Rhino and Amigo unless the price is so good I won't mind if it only lasts one season. Turtleneck has been a great blanket and sometimes you'll find them reasonably priced, but sizing can be a little funny (my 75 Rambo horse is in an 80 Tneck, while 81/84 Rambo horse has an 84 Tneck). I had a great Pessoa med wt Tundra with the elastic gusset on the neck that I loved, but sold it when I lost the horse it fit. I only paid ~$100 on sale so I bet the reg price is <$200.

I really love my NorthWinds. Hold up great, and they are on sale right now at Dover.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I love the Schneider's Storm Shield line. Both of my horses are in them. My Arab's is going on its second season (he outgrew his baby one and finally got his grownup one last year) and still looks brand new.

I got one for my new mare this year as well.

I really like the Smartpak Thinsulate plaid blankets. I have one for each of my horses.

My horses bite each other's blankets and haul each other around by them, so I vote for the standard plain $99 1200 denier Weatherbeeta, as it holds up extremely well, stays dry even with teeth holes in it, and holds up to repair and wash. I'd spend $200 and buy two of them, but your situation and horse manners may vary.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I bought two weathabeeta 1680 original detach a neck mid weights from stateline when they were on sale for 99 dollars. One of my horses is terrible on his cloths. He goes out next to his dad and tries his best to destroy both their clothing. this thing is indestructible, cheap, fits well, and while the purple and silver isn't my taste the price is well worth putting up with the color, and it's not really that awful. My mare who takes very good care of her blankets wears amigo bravo 1200. Great blanket, and love that I can combine them with liners to have an option for all weather possibilities.

I have had great luck with the old Weathebeeta line, beore the freestyle ones and now have the Schneiders Vtech... Like them too,, Also, love Shires...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Default Shire's StormCheeta Turnout

Hands down the best blanket I've had. I don't have anything bad to say about it, the straps and clips are definitely the best quality I've ever seen. Does not rub my gelding's shoulder and most blankets do. Runs $189.99 from Shire's themselves.

I was skeptical about the red color (they also have brown) but it actually looks really nice. My gelding is a seal brown though, so it compliments.

http://shop.shiresequestrian.com/p/s...0g?pp=12&pp=12

I have this: Defender 1200D 200gr in Plum ( http://www.statelinetack.com/item/de...-200g/E002799/ ) and have had it for 2 winters. It fits her nicely and is super cute on her. I felt it was a steal for $65.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I just replaced my horse's blankets with the Beval Gladstone turnouts. I had bought one for a pony a few years ago and fell in love with it - for the pony, it was the only blanket I ever found (over about 20 years) that didn't rub his shoulders, and it appears that it is going to do the same for the horse (can't promise yet, as he still has the hair rubbed off from his old Amigo). Neither of these guys were/are particularly tough on blankets, but they were/are turned out with others. When the pony passed away, I gave his blanket to another pony in the barn, and it's still in beautiful shape two winters later. I got a fantastic deal on them as they had a one day sale before Christmas, where they were 40% off and so about $99 for the medium weight, but they run sales pretty regularly.

I haven't tried the new supposedly indestructible SmartPak blanket yet, but I've heard good reviews, and you can't beat the warranty on it.