The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When was the last time you found a horse in your hayloft?

I swear they just keep doing stuff like this to make sure your heart is pumping at maximum capacity!

http://fox40.com/2012/12/24/crikey-f...y/?hpt=us_bn10

1 members found this post helpful.

Holy Smokes. That is a weird story. I can't imagine how he got up the stairs...

Well they certainly named it perfectly, LOL!

I'd be surprised...but honestly there's very little a horse can do that would surprise me anymore.

And I don't think there's anything a pony can do to surprise me.

Loved the video...the owners were funny and it seems that they weren't overly surprised that this little guy got into trouble. Something tells me he's a bit of a wise-guy.

I did find a couple ponies in a loft once or twice...but they were Shitlands and the loft was a bank barn so they could walk into it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

I used to own a large buck goat and asmall pony teasing stud. When not needed for their individual jobs they were inseparatble buddies. We have a bank barn. We had just finished filling the mow with appx 3,500 bale of hay. Came home from church on Sunday morning to find the pair standing on the barn floor looking out the doors at us. I'm thinking "yipee, they've brobably foundered themselfs on all that lovely new hay". They didn't, and actually not much of the hay looked disturbed. So, I kind of forgot about the whole thing until the next Feburary when we are well into the hay. I pulled down an area that had been stacked to the rafters. Along whith the hay came down a pile of pony poo! That pair had climbed all the way to the top of the mow and back down. I'm Just glad I didn't come home and catch them up there---I'd have probably lost ten years off my life at the sight!

2 members found this post helpful.

Not as uncommon as you might think...

My trainer showed me a picture just the other day of an appaloosa pony (go figure) belonging to a client of hers up here in Utah being winched out of the hayloft--he'd gone up the stairs and got stuck up there for two days before they gave up trying to coax him back down the stairs.

Maybe a baby gate would be in order?

Well, in the video there IS a gate, with a latch, at the bottom of the stairs. Maybe it was left open, but the pony looks evil enough to have figured that part out.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

This could be one of my horses that wouldn't load in a trailer, but hey, (hay) no problem going up stairs!

Friends of ours had their horse climb a similar staircase into the loft

He was a 16plus hand hefty boy

they got him down by bringing in a scissor truck and barricading the sides of the platform with haybales

I believe he was mildly sedated but he walked out onto the platform and they lowered it to the ground to let him off

It caused much excitement and entertainment among the local horse community!

Oh dear! Maybe I shouldn't have done the stairs obstacle at the last clinic I attended.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Not as uncommon as you might think...

My trainer showed me a picture just the other day of an appaloosa pony (go figure) belonging to a client of hers up here in Utah being winched out of the hayloft--he'd gone up the stairs and got stuck up there for two days before they gave up trying to coax him back down the stairs.

Maybe a baby gate would be in order?
    Love the story!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!