The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What gift are you giving yourself for Christmas/holidays/New Year?

I decided that after much thought and discussion(with my financial advisor) that I'd treat myself to a whole house generator. I did a thread previously on COTH and I've talked to 5 different companies locally.

Since my farm is total electric, if the power goes out, I not only don't have heat and hot water in the house, let alone the ability to check COTH, but I don't have water at the barn and that's more important to me. As anyone else on a well knows, without power to the well pump, you can't even flush the toilet!

Actually I could probably just have the generator for the barn as I have 2 rooms with a baseboard heater, as well as a small fridge and a microwave. Fridge is for carrots, beer, soda, water and beet pulp. Microwave is for heating the beet pulp. Heck, I even have an Incinolet toilet in the barn.

But silly, spoiled me, I decided I really wanted the house to have power. I like sleeping in my own bed.

Now, besides the bloody generator, I also need to have a propane tank so I've decided to buy it and bury it. I decided on a 500 gallon tank because if we do ever lose power, it should power everything for close to a wk and, hopefully, a tanker could get through by then. Now I do hope that I don't ever really need the generator but I figure if we do lose power, I have enough to do otherwise with the horses etc., that I don't want to be out trying to keep filling a gas powered generator like I have now. I'm getting too old for that stuff and besides, like the L'Oreal commericial, "I'm worth it!"

I figure the generator is like having auto and homeowners insurance. You have it but you really hope you don't ever need to use it.

So that's my gift to me and they are coming the middle of January to install it so I'm hoping there aren't any significant power outages(1-3 hrs) between now and then.

So how about you? What are you treating yourself to for the new year?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

3 members found this post helpful.

We got a puppy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

A new couch and a cabinet for the laundry room.

msj...you are going to LOVE it! Might not be an everyday thing...but when the power goes out it's SOOOOO worth it!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

No purchases for ourselves, but I think the idea of generators is fantastic! Excellent idea!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Merhow 3h with 10' LQ. My DH keeps fretting over getting me a present...I keep reminding him that it's in the driveway

2 members found this post helpful.

An eight-year-old quarter horse gelding, in theory, a present for my son. But let's be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    msj...you are going to LOVE it! Might not be an everyday thing...but when the power goes out it's SOOOOO worth it!
    Thanks Misty and Chief2. I really do hope that I never need it though.

Superminion- Puppies are wonderful. My next door neighbor raises long-haired german shepards and I go over for every litter just to get puppy kisses. Just got some about a wk ago.

katrine- a 3 horse with LQ, how fantastic! I'll bet you get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Bells, I'll bet you get tons of relaxation out of the couch. As for the laundry room, I envy you being able to put a cabinet in. My laundry/utility room barely has room for me to get in between the furnace, water heater, water softener, washer, dryer and laundry tub... Right now I'm waiting for towels to dry before I can go to bed.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

A saddle that fits! Not a new saddle, just new panels on my saddle. I'm currently working with Paul Selvey of Superior Saddlery on getting new panels on my Antares. He is awesome, and very patient! More of a gift for my mare than for me, but being able to ride again once my saddle comes back will be a very big gift.

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter View Post
    An eight-year-old quarter horse gelding, in theory, a present for my son. But let's be honest...
    Good for you! I hope you get many hrs of enjoyment from said QH and that you occasionally allow your son to ride.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    A saddle that fits! Not a new saddle, just new panels on my saddle. I'm currently working with Paul Selvey of Superior Saddlery on getting new panels on my Antares. He is awesome, and very patient! More of a gift for my mare than for me, but being able to ride again once my saddle comes back will be a very big gift.
    A great gift for both you and your horse.
    Sue

A bottle of verve clicquot

My first ever *real* boots! Ariat terrain lacers.

*name brand and made for horses

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Good for you! I hope you get many hrs of enjoyment from said QH and that you occasionally allow your son to ride.
    We're going to tell him Christmas morning that we're adopting an eight-year-old, then take him to the stable....

4 members found this post helpful.

New oak floors throughout the whole main floor of my house.

A new mattress, a new laptop, and hopefully a year in advance paid on the 30 acres we lease next door.

A new to me saddle, FINALLY. A new vacuum that sucks dog hair from across the room. And the best of all, sock monkey feety pajamas (I'm not kidding).

A saddle... if I can find one. Finding a used wintec jump pro is like looking for a needle in a haystack I'm tired of borrowing saddles that don't fit me and put me in a chair seat. *crosses fingers*!
    Telling a worrier to relax is counterproductive. Then we worry about relaxing.

Mr. IF has been directed to purchase a custom silver pendant of our stallion, Blitzen, for me. It was made based on a photo that I sent the artist. I am looking forward to opening the gift tonight.

Shameless plug -- check out http://customsilverpendants.com Lyndi is an eventer and I met her at the AECs. She does really lovely work and her prices are very reasonable for the quality. And, second shameless plug, she had donated a custom pendant to the CDCTA Silent Auction on BiddingforGood.com. It opens on January 1. If you have a little spare cash afther the holidays, put in a bid!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Two pairs of a new breeches, a new bridle, martingale, and girth, and a Thinline pad. (And a new lease horse—yay!)