The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    You cannot do Parelli without hitting your horse, it's part of their program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Cayleigh, as other posters have already stated, this thread is not going to go well. If you truly are "not trying to start anything," I would suggest walking away from this now.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Gots me some sushi and a nice bottle of imperial stout. Ready for the show!
    May I have a seat? I brought hot biscuits and pale ale......

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    ...just to actually begin with something that might be helpful, why do you say that you "know your horses need it"?
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Better yet for all of us, do not feed the troll
    it's cold out!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Fee, fie, foe, fum, I smell a 4 letter word starting with T.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I so far really like Parelli. I have seen improvments in both of my horses with just two sessions. People say he abuses horse, well he is not going to be fiscally training my horses, I am and I'm not going to hit my horses. People say he says people dont need to where a helmet, well that's where common sense kicks in. Besides lots of people don't think you need to wear one. As for the prices, look at Clinton Anderson and most big trainers. People at my barn use Parelli and there horses are amazing. Some people think Natural Horsemanship is dumb because you have to force your horse to do things and they think you have to show your horse who's boss. Natural Horsemanship takes what they naturally do in the wild and had you do it so the horse understands you better. People say he trains horse to e his equal, which is not true. He is the leader but he does it in a friendly, more natural way be doesn't go straight to forcing a horse to do something he does it in the same order horses do naturally. Suggest, ask, tell, promise.
    Lets put it this way, there are better, more sensible ways to train horses than trying to get your horse to think you are a horse.

8 members found this post helpful.

No the dont lunge into a trailer, it's the reward and pressure and that stuff

I say my horses need it because one is very skiddish and nervous and the other is really excitable, doesn't like to go slow and is very hard headed.
    Yeah, no trainer has ever, ever dealt with horses like that. Only Parelli LOL.

5 members found this post helpful.

Heads up guys she isn't a troll just a kid. I think 16 and she has posted on the "Horse Care" section before. Get an experienced horsemen to help you Cayleigh and go from there.

5 members found this post helpful.

We tried Parelli once with Willow. Guess what happened? Not a damn thing other than I almost took my eye out with the damn stick. DH suggested that maybe they make the stick such a bright color so you can avoid doing what I did. The savvy string, he said, was there so you could flog yourself when you find out you've invested your life savings in this load of cr*p.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Parelli I have an extra problem with because he lies to people.
    Yeah, and he sorta 'didn't tell the truth' when fell off the colt at some shindig and couldn't admit he fell of, had to say he fell into the well and then fell off. Excepting only bullriders fall into the wells because of the way a lot of high caliber bulls buck. Horses don't buck like that. I couldn't believe people believed him and gave him the doubt but I feel he knows they will and he can.

Okay, now back to reading the train-wreck, shaping up to be a good one, I must say!! By the by, can someone drink some alcoholic goodness for me?? I'm still taking a lot of prescrip meds and have to stay on the straight and narrow. Thanks in advance...

Back to reading now....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Better yet for all of us, do not feed the troll
    No, no I say. Let's let it go for a bit...as if it were going to stop quickly. Cayleigh is highly entertaining....

Yeah, about 7, where has he BEEN??

The only thing good about Pat is that his wife is even worse.
    You are what you dare.

20 members found this post helpful.

I so far really like Parelli. I have seen improvments in both of my horses with just two sessions.
    wonderful. But the problem sets in when the followers do nothing but. And they do.

People say he abuses horse,
    he has been around for a while, and people know him from before he was the snake oil salesman. I have watched in utter disbelieve how Linda yanked and hauled around on a horse, resulting in smacking it....for no obvious, apparent or understandable reason. My family, many generation horse people would have strangled me with the lead rope should I have ever considered laying into a horse like that for no other reason than to prove a point. That was not a short segment either, but a long, edited to be shorter session, originally in an instructional video. That was - from an 'unnatural' horseman point of view extremly abusive!
    The do watch the video on the taming of Catwalk. I did not watch all of it, but I hear it was really ugly.
    Oh, and nothing 'natural about it. Horses do not tie their legs up in the wild.
    well he is not going to be fiscally training my horses
    physically. because the program WILL fiscally drain you. Snake oil. nuff said.
    I am and I'm not going to hit my horses.
    never say never. It is on occasion necessary. Just ask Linda.
    People say he says people dont need to where a helmet, well that's where common sense kicks in.
    yes, he said it. Time and time again, on his website. because a horse is like totally safe and never missteps when parrelicized.
    Besides lots of people don't think you need to wear one.
    and lots of people smoke....
    As for the prices, look at Clinton Anderson and most big trainers.
    CA has a sexy accent and a cute butt I have been told, but is a snake oil salesman. Not quiet as good as PP tho.
    the other big names do actually teach riders, not just send them a DVD and wish them the best of luck.
    People at my barn use Parelli and there horses are amazing.
    great to hear.
    Some people think Natural Horsemanship is dumb because you have to force your horse to do things and they think you have to show your horse who's boss. Natural Horsemanship takes what they naturally do in the wild and had you do it so the horse understands you better.
    (gosh we need the rolling one for this type of response.
    No. Simply no.
    As soon as you throw hay to your beast, it's not natural any more. As soon as you put a halter on, use that dang carrot stick. nature? pft, out the barn door.
    Sometimes you do have to show the horse who the boss mare is. THAT actually is natural. And work it past the point of resistance. A little. Like kids.

People say he trains horse to e his equal, which is not true. He is the leader but he does it in a friendly, more natural way be doesn't go straight to forcing a horse to do something he does it in the same order horses do naturally. Suggest, ask, tell, promise.
    seriously....read something else but his infomercial.
    There are TONS of great trainers out there.
    Some of the mainstream ones are phenomenal in the understanding of the horse.
    something one cannot accuse PP off. Not even on a good day.

Start with Xenophon, the father of all big name trainers.
    what's his name whom Linda actually bothered to take lessons from. He actually preceeds both of them and has probably forgotten more about riding and horsemanship than both combined will ever know.

Buck Brannaman, I do believe is one of the old guard.
    Tom Durrance ODG for sure, but a great one.
    Hell, even Monty Roberts is not as bad as PP.

A horse is a horse, of course of course.
    and humans aren't.
    I stand by my suggestion to read up on Linda Tellington-Jones.
    She actually has a scientific base for her theory.
    She sat in a lecture by Moshe Feldenkrais and felt compelled to try this on horses. much cheaper, less levels, less snakeoil.
    From what I have tried, it works...besides, the lady seems to have a real feel for horses.
    What I have seen about PP? Not so much.

Alas. you have made up your mind.
    I do wish you luck on the journey.

BTW: much of his gear you can purchase at the local farm supply store for a fraction of the savy cost. And no membership needed.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    By the by, can someone drink some alcoholic goodness for me?? I'm still taking a lot of prescrip meds and have to stay on the straight and narrow. Thanks in advance...

Back to reading now....
    consider it done!
    (no, really, DONE! )

If Cayleigh is really 16, and she sounds it, I actually feel a bit bad for her. If she were an older person and all the warnings, that's one thing, but a kid?, kinda feel badly for her.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    If Cayleigh is really 16, and she sounds it, I actually feel a bit bad for her. If she were an older person and all the warnings, that's one thing, but a kid?, kinda feel badly for her.
    16 is nearly grown.
    But not old enough to barg into a room full of strangers and basically telling them they are all a bunch of mean, hatin horse abusers, for forcing them to do stuff.

When I was 16 that would have gone over like a lead balloon.
    Similar to what Linda did to that poor one eyed horse!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Yeah, no trainer has ever, ever dealt with horses like that. Only Parelli LOL.
    I'm not saying Parelli I the only way, I didn't say it in the post either, that was my reasoning for starting Parelli again. I hav been to a trainer but it didn't help a ton and Parelli is the best training system I have found. I tried Sylvia Scott but if your horse didnt do what she said it would then you were out of luck. She didnt tell you what to do if that didnt work where as Parelli does. Plus it's a complete system that is easy to follow.

Seriously, where is 7?? Nothing bad has befallen him, I hope?? Yes, I'm saying it, I'm concerned.

I'm not saying Parelli I the only way, I didn't say it in the post either, that was my reasoning for starting Parelli again. I hav been to a trainer but it didn't help a ton and Parelli is the best training system I have found. I tried Sylvia Scott but if your horse didnt do what she said it would then you were out of luck. She didnt tell you what to do if that didnt work where as Parelli does. Plus it's a complete system that is easy to follow.
    Go with peace then. Merry Christmas!!