The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhE1YIT3zAY
    Her "game of contact" ... BARF

Y doesn't she just tell her student to sit back and look up. (shortend version...) It isnt a game of freaking contact. I had never watched any of this until now.. CRAP
    well, other people call it riding...
    oh well...a fool and her money....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

DUH!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Nope.

I live pretty close to Clearwater Fl (headquarters for Scientology) and have never heard of this. Interesting combo. I have a friend that is into Scientology and will talk to me about it, but she only scratches the surface and I try not to push her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    How about if we switch to ruining everyone's fun with religion? Because I have heard that there is an overlap of NH and Scientology, if a horse person is a practicing Scientologist, he/she is likely also a Parelli follower.

Anyone else heard that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    No reason to be sorry
    the OP had her answer.
    No need to worry,
    on Prancer, on Dancer.
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Haha, what anwser. No offense but I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was on Parelli. I already know all trainers have people the oppose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    Haha, what anwser. No offense but I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was on Parelli. I already know all trainers have people the oppose them.
    well, you got a great many of experienced horse people who can't agree on anything on a good day telling you all to walk the other way, you should take that as warning.
    COTH agreeing, it means armageddon is upon us.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, you got a great many of experienced horse people who can't agree on anything on a good day telling you all to walk the other way, you should take that as warning.
    This cracked me up, but is SO true.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    How about if we switch to ruining everyone's fun with religion? Because I have heard that there is an overlap of NH and Scientology, if a horse person is a practicing Scientologist, he/she is likely also a Parelli follower.

Anyone else heard that?
    I have been on several Parelli lists for more than 10 years, and I have no memory of ever hearing anything like this.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I have been on several Parelli lists for more than 10 years, and I have no memory of ever hearing anything like this.
    How could you? You've been brainwashed!*

Just kidding

But seriously, there is a group of NH devotees at the barn where my friend rides and they are all scientologists. The business model seems to be similar, in any case.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    You wouldn't have the first clue what middle class peoples' self interest is, should be, or how it could be best served. Of that I am sure.
    I am so frickin' middle class that in this current economy, I am clinging by a hair to my home and my horse, and the horse may have to be sold. I am 67 and still working full time. Clinton left Bush with a surplus that he wasted in an unnecessary war (among other things), and people beyotch that Obama hasn't been able in four years to undo eight years of GOP damage. (Actually, if the GOP were still the Republican party of Eisenhower or even -- shudder -- Nixon, we wouldn't be in as bad shape as we are. But the reactionary aand/or evangelical "conservatives" (not true conservatives) and Tea Potty types have kidnapped the true GOP and are holding it hostage.

14 members found this post helpful.

Can we please have a forum where the people can just shut their damn mouths about politics? Please?? I don't give a rat's ass what any poster on a horse BB cares to spew about their own politics beliefs. Just shut the fark up already about politics and talk about horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Truth, sister!!

Actually, I was a bit dismayed to find we're only up to page 10 of a Pep post. Kinda slow going, eh?? We NEED 7 to spice it up and get the balling rolling and pages turning!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    No, "all trainers" don't. Not the good ones, anyway.

People's issue with the Parrellis isn't just what we view as poor horsemanship and poorer riding skills; it's in the marketing of something less-than-mediocre as something relevatory and innovative. There are plenty of trainers, even "NH" type trainers, out there that people would heartily recommend. People on this very thread have mentioned Buck Brannaman and Richard Shrake, either of whom I'd think you'd do much better to study if you want to go that route. People on here have also suggested other programs and systems of learning and horsemanship available in your area, such as 4H or Pony Club, which are programs that while pretty universally acknowledged as imperfect at least have a logical, solid, and safe foundation to build from.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Can we please have a forum where the people can just shut their damn mouths about politics? Please?? I don't give a rat's ass what any poster on a horse BB cares to spew about their own politics beliefs. Just shut the fark up already about politics and talk about horses.
    Amen!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    We use Parelli's techniques and have had great success with our horses.

Sorry not going to "spice it up" this is just another typical Parelli thread.
    Lets see, start with defining "great success".

Seems that I have heard that before from other PP followers and it was not quite what most would think great success with horses is meant to be.

Mostly, they bought a well trained horse, that according to them was abused, of course and they had to retrain, using those great PP techniques of bopping the horse around the head and clunking it good.

I have learned from Natural Horsemanship that "Less is more' and 'Release is the reward'...Of course that doesn't apply to the piles of books, tapes, DVDs, equipment. I dislike PP's ego but...if you can't learn something then you are missing a lot and probably more narrow minded than I was, me with old school training ( German).

I am however, very fond of my Parelli rope halter, I am older and slight and no longer have/need strength to get an unruly horse to behave...it is quite effective. And I do get a kick out of the horses reacting pretty much the same regardless if they got the memo or not ...nor what language is their native tongue or the nature of their upbringing. Licking and chewing...who knew!

A deathgrip is the worst thing a scared horse needs...let them move their feet..they WILL stop and THAT is when you release the 'pressure' ( as in the case of teaching mustang that spray bottle won't kill them).

And I learned to change my type A behavior and stay calm regardless of the situation...if I'm tense, my horse senses it. PP and others gave me some knowledge in reading horses and anticipating their behavior and that gave me the confidence to 'take on' the misunderstood rescues and help them become acceptable horse partners. Sadly it was after MANY years of owning flighty horses...those years could have been easier on all of us.

I am glad I have an open mind.

I just saw the above post referring to people buying well trained horses and calling them abused and 'bopping'. hmmm, I worked with, among others, unhandled 10 yo Morgan stallion; 12 yo unhandled PMU Clydesdale gelding left in pasture for years without touching fed, fat and healthy but virtually wild whose whole body literally trembled when you came within a foot.

I used body positioning and LOTS of patience to train because there was no way anyone was going to get near them without roping or chuting and then there would have been a battle I would lose. There was no head bopping, just trust building. They had played keep away and were very good at it. Funny they must have seen the DVDs because they were textbook examples and behaved on cue.
    Last edited by uphill; Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add'l paragraph

i vote for Chris Cox

hey, good to see you!

What took you so long...what? 10 pages?

Thought the Grinch stole you!

3 members found this post helpful.

Dayam!! Good to see you, old son!! Really, was getting a bit concerned about your absence!!

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    I have learned from Natural Horsemanship that "Less is more' and 'Release is the reward'...Of course that doesn't apply to the piles of books, tapes, DVDs, equipment. I dislike PP's ego but...if you can't learn something then you are missing a lot and probably more narrow minded than I was, me with old school training ( German).

I am however, very fond of my Parelli rope halter, I am older and slight and no longer have/need strength to get an unruly horse to behave...it is quite effective. And I do get a kick out of the horses reacting pretty much the same regardless if they got the memo or not ...nor what language is their native tongue or the nature of their upbringing. Licking and chewing...who knew!

A deathgrip is the worst thing a scared horse needs...let them move their feet..they WILL stop and THAT is when you release the 'pressure' ( as in the case of teaching mustang that spray bottle won't kill them).

And I learned to change my type A behavior and stay calm regardless of the situation...if I'm tense, my horse senses it. PP and others gave me some knowledge in reading horses and anticipating their behavior and that gave me the confidence to 'take on' the misunderstood rescues and help them become acceptable horse partners. Sadly it was after MANY years of owning flighty horses...those years could have been easier on all of us.

Oh, here we go!! We don't have an open mind because we don't condone bopping and hitting!!

I just saw the above post referring to people buying well trained horses and calling them abused and 'bopping'. hmmm, I worked with, among others, unhandled 10 yo Morgan stallion; 12 yo unhandled PMU Clydesdale gelding left in pasture for years without touching fed, fat and healthy but virtually wild whose whole body literally trembled when you came within a foot.

I used body positioning and LOTS of patience to train because there was no way anyone was going to get near them without roping or chuting and then there would have been a battle I would lose. There was no head bopping, just trust building. They had played keep away and were very good at it. Funny they must have seen the DVDs because they were textbook examples and behaved on cue.
    D*ng, now it can get going!!

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post

Yes, I was being facetious, using way out examples, but where there is smoke ...

I grew up in Europe, by 17 had already helped start a good 35 feral horses under saddle, to sell to other riding schools, is what we did.

I had excellent teachers, that saw we were very aware of our horses and treated them always with uttermost respect, nothing else was good enough.

I will just say, the first you learn around horses and great horsemen is to be humble, as horses will humble you quickly if you don't.
    Second, you better never do anything you are not comfortable doing, no matter what others supposedly teaching you insist you do, in the name of getting whatever you are doing done.

There really are better ways to communicate with horses than swinging things at them mercilessly and bopping them around without paying attention to them.

Horses will tell on you and the PP handled horses tell on them and not in a nice way.
    When you have to pull any videos you can when people are being critical of them, because they are clearly indefensible, well, that speaks for itself.
    That method is rough around the edges and, sadly, last time we looked, a while ago now, it still was.

I expect if the OP is already in a PP barn, well, her questions here were not really what she wanted answers to, her mind very much made up already, knowing the cultlike dependency anyone in that system falls for.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    i vote for Chris Cox
    I like CC very well but he's more of a cowboy's trainer, last I saw him.