The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 228
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    ^^^ Arh!!! Stop saying his name!!! It's like Betelgeuse!!! Argh!
    Speak of the devil and he shall appear!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  2. #142
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    ^^^ Arh!!! Stop saying his name!!! It's like Betelgeuse!!! Argh!
    In all fairness, when regular posters disappear, I wonder.
    and it is concerning that we have gone past page one in a PP thread without him materializing and setting us gunsils straight.
    uttering PP is more prone to draw him out than his name, really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    True, Ala.

    Maybe he just found greener pastures? You know, on one of those Parelli friendly forums.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    'Nuff said. Perfect!
    Well, I was going to change a couple of stanzas to something like this, but it didn't quite work...


    Twas the night before Christmas and all thru the stable,
    not a pony was stirring, not even old "Mabel"
    And all of a sudden arose such a clatter,
    I looked out the window to see what's the matter

    And there is the roundpen, with saavy rope atwirl,
    another new horse owner giving it a whirl.
    Join up, face up and pushing a ball
    you can buy Linda's Breeches,
    if you wear a 10 tall.

    Seven games you can play, if you can't ride a lick,
    but only if you pay that Parelli spouting "d..k"


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 2003
    Location
    Woodland, Ca
    Posts
    6,177

    Default

    I know of three Parelli trained horses who attacked their owners. These were not vicious horses before they were Parellified.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I know of three Parelli trained horses who attacked their owners. These were not vicious horses before they were Parellified.
    That must have been the 'not so popular" 8th game that the horses decided to play.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Just recently, I mixed it up with some 'trainer' on a FB page because someone had asked how long it takes to start a colt. This guy said he only does 90 days and won't take a horse for less time. He's a paint by numbers guy, it seems. I said I think a trainer should adapt and fit to the horse, not one size fits all because I've never had a colt who read the memo about 90 days. Actually, I've had a colt and a filly who within a week were riding 'broke', so much so, I thought they'd been started before and I thought the owners had lied to me. Nope, these young'uns were born broke. Then, I've had stonehead horses who all I can say is the lights were on but no one was home. Just dumber than a box of rocks and couldn't retain any training.
    One possible musing for the "closed-minded" trainer... there are a lot of people who will send their horses out for 90 days or whatever, then see the horse after a couple weeks and it looks quiet under saddle, so they pull the horse out early to save money. Then they have a horse that may or may not have some gaping holes in its training, and then something pops up at some point that exposes one of those holes, and all of a sudden the trainer is getting a bad rep. Also, that trainer may have rejected other clients because he thought he'd have a horse for 90 days when the owner takes him home after 30 instead. So I can understand a trainer wanting to require an owner to commit to a certain amount of time, regardless. I would hope that he'd be flexible if the horse really did progress very quickly, but he might also just really want to make sure that he's not rushing things.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    and I thought you were describing the Democratic Party, not a religious group
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    LOL, it just seems that way because the Republican Party's base is old white men.
    Well, as long as we have a train wreck in progress, may as well make it a doozy!
    A helmet saved my life.

    2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!



  9. #149
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Had somebody call me the other day to ask if my barn is "Natural Horsemanship Friendly." I waited a beat and then said, "What does that mean?" Girl couldn't tell me.

    I told her that I expect my clients to be able to catch their horse, lead it, tie it, groom and tack up, and ride out the gate, down the road and out on the trails, then come back and put the horse away safely without anybody getting hurt, and if they can do that, I'm not invested in by which means they managed to get there.

    She thanked me and hung up.

    I guess today it's more important to have a "brand" than to just be effective.

    LOL



  10. #150
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,649

    Default

    I have figured it out,
    your rhyming gave it away
    Jetsmom is Eleanor's Elf!!



    Am I right?



  11. #151
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I have figured it out,
    your rhyming gave it away
    Jetsmom is Eleanor's Elf!!
    Am I right?

    Greench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  12. #152
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    One possible musing for the "closed-minded" trainer... there are a lot of people who will send their horses out for 90 days or whatever, then see the horse after a couple weeks and it looks quiet under saddle, so they pull the horse out early to save money. Then they have a horse that may or may not have some gaping holes in its training, and then something pops up at some point that exposes one of those holes, and all of a sudden the trainer is getting a bad rep. Also, that trainer may have rejected other clients because he thought he'd have a horse for 90 days when the owner takes him home after 30 instead. So I can understand a trainer wanting to require an owner to commit to a certain amount of time, regardless. I would hope that he'd be flexible if the horse really did progress very quickly, but he might also just really want to make sure that he's not rushing things.
    I can understand that. There is a little bit of back story but I understand what you're saying.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    2,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Gots me some sushi and a nice bottle of imperial stout. Ready for the show!

    ...just to actually begin with something that might be helpful, why do you say that you "know your horses need it"?
    Sushi and stout---hmph would've never combined those two. Is that an accident ("hmmm let's see what's on coth before I start dinner. Oooh trainwreck!! Gimme alcohol STAT!!!") or a planned pairing? Assuming the latter, stout served room temp? Reason I'm asking is that I'm always a little stumped when it comes to pairing sushi and drinks. SushiSamba restaurants have an amazing selection of sparkling saki, and that's a great combo. But since sparkling saki is not on my local grocer's shelves, what's left but Sapporo <snore>.



  14. #154
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I so far really like Parelli. I have seen improvments in both of my horses with just two sessions. People say he abuses horse, well he is not going to be fiscally training my horses, I am and I'm not going to hit my horses. People say he says people dont need to where a helmet, well that's where common sense kicks in. Besides lots of people don't think you need to wear one. As for the prices, look at Clinton Anderson and most big trainers. People at my barn use Parelli and there horses are amazing. Some people think Natural Horsemanship is dumb because you have to force your horse to do things and they think you have to show your horse who's boss. Natural Horsemanship takes what they naturally do in the wild and had you do it so the horse understands you better. People say he trains horse to e his equal, which is not true. He is the leader but he does it in a friendly, more natural way be doesn't go straight to forcing a horse to do something he does it in the same order horses do naturally. Suggest, ask, tell, promise.
    .
    Last edited by pj; Dec. 24, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: went back and read that op is a kid so disregard my post. She doesn't know any better.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 1999
    Location
    Concord, California, USA
    Posts
    8,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    LOL, it just seems that way because the Republican Party's base is old white men.
    RICH old white men and middle/lower class people who (incredibly) vote against their own interests (because they want to be just like the old rich white men and think that will do it?)


    12 members found this post helpful.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    RICH old white men and middle/lower class people who (incredibly) vote against their own interests (because they want to be just like the old rich white men and think that will do it?)
    After this last election, I'm ticked at the Republican party and am seriously considering turning Independent or Libertarian. That said, what is this about rich old white men? Ever heard of Mia Love, Tim Scott, Alan West and a whole host of non-whites?? All I'm concerned about is content of character and do not give a d*mn about skin color. Blacks or non-whites are not so fragile they have to be protected and hand-held and shown they have to depend on others. Good grief.

    Let the games begin!!!

    ETA: I guess I should just issue an apology beforehand, even though I really don't mean it, just to keep things civil. I haven't mastered the non-apology apology just yet. Yanno, the "I'm sorry you misunderstood what I'm saying" type. HA!!!
    Last edited by goneriding24; Dec. 24, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Meds are starting to kick in again....
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    RICH old white men and middle/lower class people who (incredibly) vote against their own interests (because they want to be just like the old rich white men and think that will do it?)
    You wouldn't have the first clue what middle class peoples' self interest is, should be, or how it could be best served. Of that I am sure.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2000
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Posts
    2,046

    Default

    The OP does not need a "program"...go get some good old US Pony Club manuals, they cover all the basics and are cheap.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,649

    Default

    What?!?!


    the rhyming warmbloods?




    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Greench



  20. #160
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    What?!?!


    the rhyming warmbloods?
    outing them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



Similar Threads

  1. Parelli does it again?
    By Old Mac Donald in forum Off Course
    Replies: 738
    Last Post: Jul. 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
  2. Parelli at WEG
    By Foxtrot's in forum Off Course
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: May. 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
  3. Parelli? We don't need no stinking Parelli!!
    By Guilherme in forum Off Course
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 23, 2010, 06:41 PM
  4. Parelli?
    By ApolloGirl in forum Off Course
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Jan. 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 142
    Last Post: Jun. 11, 2007, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •