The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Wait, you have a trainer?? Or is that the PP one??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Cayleigh,

Regardless of what level you were considered at your other barn as you've admitted you still have lots to learn, especially in basic horsemanship. Can your parents afford lessons for you?

I also, know at one point you mentioned you might be moving your horses to your house is that still the case or are you going to continue to board?
    We are still planning on moving, we just aren't sure how soon it will be. Right now we can't afford lessons because of all the vet bills but I'm planning on asking for some for my birthday.

Hey, here's a thought, do you have horse 4-H around you somewhere?? You might be a bit old for it but they have great material to learn from and the instructors are usually pretty knowledgeable. Even if you go outside of 4-H, it's a great start.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    Ok so, Jack is a Tennessee Walker gelding. 7 years old, he was a show horse, now very good though, he was called Jack-in-the-box. His owner stopped ridding, let her barn use him for trails. Supposedly found out her barn was abusing him and moved him to where we were. She allowed my trainer to use him but because he was so nervous he was only ride once, by me. He is now a western trail horse. The other horse Apache is complicated. We don't really know anything g about him. We know we are al least his fourth owners. It seems he was passed around because everyone was scared of his speed. My trainer bought him from a family that only had him for three or four months and was told her was spotted saddle horse, which he clearly is not!! They said he was too fast and their horses couldn't keep up. My trainer trades an extremely slow ex-race horse for him. I was the only one that would ride him, everyone else was scared. I fell in love with him and eventually bought him a few months later. He is western and English and is 8 years old, we believe he is a quarter horse, Tennessee walker mix. He seems to get into a gait sometimes.
    When no one will ride a particular horse, especially a "trainer", that is a clue that it is not an appropriate horse for a beginner. Or a teenager. Or a beginner teenager. Just because you can stay on does not mean that you know what you're doing or are a good rider. And just because a horse is able to be ridden does not mean he is "trained".

So you have two inappropriate horses who may or may not be trained at something. Wise up. Before you get hurt.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Wait, you have a trainer?? Or is that the PP one??
    We tried Sylvia Scott's program then went to a trainer and are now on Parelli

Hey, here's a thought, do you have horse 4-H around you somewhere?? You might be a bit old for it but they have great material to learn from and the instructors are usually pretty knowledgeable. Even if you go outside of 4-H, it's a great start.
    I think there is one nearby. I know my friends at my barn are in one.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I have no useful advice for you beyond wow, the Christmas train wreck gift came early this year!

(Most people on this board do not do Parelli. Fair warning.)
    I read the first post and thought to myself, "choo! choo!" And now, to read the thread.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

No, no I say. Let's let it go for a bit...as if it were going to stop quickly. Cayleigh is highly entertaining....

Yeah, about 7, where has he BEEN??
    He is riding his horses...DUH! The ppl on COTH are here because they have no horses and he is out riding that is why he is not here... LOL. Truth be told... I really do hope all is going ok for him.

This girl is a bit entertaining but stuck ... she needs one on one help with a live trainer not a TV/DVD
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Haha. I don't think those things, those are things I had been told but I now know better and am have his teeth checked. I can only find two things that his burping could be but in order to treat it I have to rule out ulcers. If you know something else it could be PLEASE tell me. I do know people with a lot of people with horse knowledge. And for your information I am not a bored teen stirrin you guys up, I don't have time to stir you up for fun. I am just trying to get more information. That is all I am trying to do is be a better horse owner and get more info and people are blowing up at me.
    I'm still working my way through this thread but you really need a trainer if you are not currently working with one before you either a) wind up with a neurotic mess of a horse and/or b) get hurt. Training a horse is not like training a dog...you can't do it from a book, the internet, or a DVD. Those can be useful tools and can help you understand things, but by no means should they be your primary source of information in training a horse, especially if you and the horse are inexperienced.

I am a lot older than you based on earlier posts, with quite a few years of horse experience, and I will be the first to admit I have no business training a horse on my own. My knowledge of these animals could fit into a thimble compared to the wealth of knowledge some of the people on this board have. It's nothing to be ashamed of. People are not blowing up at you to be mean - beneath our kidding around, there is concern for the well-being of you and your horse.

I may have missed it or maybe it's coming up, but what kind of horse are we talking about here? Is this Steady Eddie or a greenie?

You missed it. Here are their stats...

Ok so, Jack is a Tennessee Walker gelding. 7 years old, he was a show horse, now very good though, he was called Jack-in-the-box. His owner stopped ridding, let her barn use him for trails. Supposedly found out her barn was abusing him and moved him to where we were. She allowed my trainer to use him but because he was so nervous he was only ride once, by me. He is now a western trail horse. The other horse Apache is complicated. We don't really know anything g about him. We know we are al least his fourth owners. It seems he was passed around because everyone was scared of his speed. My trainer bought him from a family that only had him for three or four months and was told her was spotted saddle horse, which he clearly is not!! They said he was too fast and their horses couldn't keep up. My trainer trades an extremely slow ex-race horse for him. I was the only one that would ride him, everyone else was scared. I fell in love with him and eventually bought him a few months later. He is western and English and is 8 years old, we believe he is a quarter horse, Tennessee walker mix. He seems to get into a gait sometimes.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    You missed it. Here are their stats...
    *facepalm*
    Thanks...

I admit I only read pages 1,2 and scrolled quickly through 4 and 6.

This is a joke right? Happy Holidays and all that?

I can't believe I'm about to say this. I kinda miss 7.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Gots me some sushi and a nice bottle of imperial stout. Ready for the show!

Good god man! That sounds like a horrible pairing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Didn't 7 say he knew some of the Cothers in real life??

As for the other thread goin' on here, I'm glad Cayleigh is on here asking for help. Help is help in the right way. If the 4-H folks can help her, all is well and good.

Another thought, with all the streaming and whateveryoucallit, couldn't she 'take a lesson' from someone over the internet?? Someone on her end could hold the camera, follow her and the 'instructor' could comment on this or that. It's not the same as in the flesh but from the sounds of it, better than the DVD's and bad info. Would that be covered by instructor insurance??

Cayleigh,

You're young. You're very impressionable. Don't think it suits to be making fun of you. This is a board that is very much anti Parellli. Not because we like to hit our horses but because most of us are capable of handling our horses in a very capable manner through years and years of hardwork and understanding.

Anyone who withholds water as a training method is cruel in my opinion and yes Parelli advocates this method. For me the training methods can have no meaning if this is part of the protocol.

You need to broaden your horizons a little bit. There are many fabulous and amazing trainers out there that can help you with horses. Part of becoming a good horsewoman is working with many different horses and learning from them. Having different methods in your tool box to deal with any issues. You don't get this from one method.

Broaden your horizons. Look for other possibilities. I think you'll find lots of people get it right who don't follow Parelli.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

I would suggest spending money on lessons instead of Parelli. It would also be in your best interest to ride a horse suitable to your level, and there's no shame in being a beginner or admitting you're overhorsed.

There are several reasons why many don't like Parelli. He showboats, his methods can cross into abusive handling, he's not particularly talented, and his methods can get beginners into trouble. The abusive handling can be seen in several videos, one of which involves his wife. Another aspect we dislike is the cult-like mentality some of his followers seem to have.
    The Parellis have one positive aspect: They are brilliant at marketing.

3 members found this post helpful.

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the board,
    Not a poster was typing, not even a word.
    The keyboards were sitting on the desk tops with care,
    In hopes that Off Topic day would soon be here.

And all of a sudden, arose such a clatter,
    I clicked on the thread to see what's the matter.
    Over to off Topic, I flew like a flash,
    A thread on Parelli, someone losing more cash.

The dude on the horse at the money making show,
    gave the illusion of logic, to replenish his dough.
    when what to my wondering eyes should appear.
    hordes of posters intent on making things clear.

With no hesitation, so lively and quick.
    It's more of a trainwreck, than even Big Lick
    More rapid than vultures, his detractors they came,
    they posted and shouted, and called him bad names.

Abuser, charlatan, he's a money grabbing guy,
    carrot sticks, and saavy ropes, he requires you buy.
    Now posters, I ask that you answer the call,
    and post away, post away, post away all.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
    When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky
    and with growing derision, the trainwreck soon grew,
    with popcorn, and wine, and the occasional brew.

To be cont...

26 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

jetsmom-wow!!!

Gee and it is not even A full Moon! I swear people post about Parelli to start a train wreck!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the board,
    Not a poster was typing, not even a word.
    The keyboards were sitting on the desk tops with care,
    In hopes that Off Topic day would soon be here.

And all of a sudden, arose such a clatter,
    I clicked on the thread to see what's the matter.
    Over to off Topic, I flew like a flash,
    A thread on Parelli, someone losing more cash.

The dude on the horse at the money making show,
    gave the illusion of logic, to replenish his dough.
    when what to my wondering eyes should appear.
    hordes of posters intent on making things clear.

With no hesitation, so lively and quick.
    It's more of a trainwreck, than even Big Lick
    More rapid than vultures, his detractors they came,
    they posted and shouted, and called him bad names.

Abuser, charlatan, he's a money grabbing guy,
    carrot sticks, and saavy ropes, he requires you buy.
    Now posters, I ask that you answer the call,
    and post away, post away, post away all.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
    When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky
    and with growing derision, the trainwreck soon grew,
    with popcorn, and wine, and the occasional brew.

To be cont...
    Wow again!

Awesome.

That Christmas poem will end a classic.