The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

OP...go to Youtube...search Parelli Cakewalk..

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    If your horse is skiddish he probably needs new tires. Merry Christmas COTH!
    Snort...

thanks. Now I need to clean soda off my Brand New Keyboard...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Cayleigh, I'm trying really hard to keep this train from completely derailing.
    Do you mind sharing more info on your horses? What are their ages and their breed? What did they do before they came to you? how often are they worked? How long have you been riding and what is your discipline (hunters? Western? Trail?)
    I know this BB has really knowledgable people. They'll give you good suggestions, just don't ask them to participate in any Parelli BS.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post

Nuff said.
    Catwalk.

it certainly was no cakewalk...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    May I have a seat? I brought hot biscuits and pale ale......
    Depends. How hoppy is the pale ale?

Cakewalk on youtube, couldn't find it. Is that the one Pep had an argument with while at a clinic, the horse acted up and he and Linda acted like the horse was a man-eating beast, onliest the horse gave a half-hearted attempt to duke it out?? That one??

ETA: Found it. Erm, maybe we did a disservice to Cayleigh by suggesting she find some PP forums after all. The vid of PP's handling the horse was worse than I remembered. Poor horse.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    The first part of learning is to recognize what you don't know. So kudos for that. But frankly, you also need to start out with the proper horse(s), and 16 year old beginner + two skittish, nervous horses + no training is a recipe for disaster. Throw in Parelli and it's like adding nitroglycerin to the mix. If you're lucky, you'll just end up frustrating the horses and yourself and not get hurt badly.

Find a trainer to properly evaluate your horses. Some horses are cut out to be beginner trail horses. Some are not. The best way to get a bombproof beginner trail horse is to buy bombproof beginner trail horse, just as the best way to get a jumper is to find one that already jumps. When you don't know what you're doing, it's hard to train a horse to do something it doesn't know how to do.

So, anyway. Be realistic. You may need to sell one or both of the current horses and buy one that will work for your needs now. Not one that you think you can train into something in the future, but one that can be tolerant and patient and help you do what you want to do. Without getting hurt or smacked with carrot sticks or spending $5000 on random useless DVDs and equipment or looking at used sweaty breeches on eBay and wondering if they'll help you ride better.
    They are trained..... Kinda we just don't like their training. Where I was before, I was consider an expert rider and a knowledgable horse person so the horse I got was considered good for me. The other horse is really my dad but he hasn't been out in a while do I've been working with him. I didn't want my dad to get him because he was a extremely nervous horse (much better now) and my dad is a extreme beginner, but my dad liked his personality. Part of the reason we bought them is because we had a budget of 1000 for both horses, but we ended up going over that. My dads horse was 1000 with all of his tack, which ended up being crap or not fitting him at all. Now I am attached go Jack too, which I why I am trying to train him so when my dad starts riding again Jack will be ready.

Nuff said.
    I did there was only one video ad the quality wa horrible and I couldn't see anything!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Cakewalk on youtube, couldn't find it. Is that the one Pep had an argument with while at a clinic, the horse acted up and he and Linda acted like the horse was a man-eating beast, onliest the horse gave a half-hearted attempt to duke it out?? That one??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gf7w...endscreen&NR=1

turn the sound down....
    I think I recall they went at it for about 2 hours....
    including tieing the horses leg...like totally natural, yes?
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Nuff said.
    ^ Catwalk.

A cakewalk doesn't sound bad though. We could smack everyone with carrot sticks to keep them moving. One must align themselves with the Cakeenality to become one with the cake, you know.

I've already had my margaritas this evening.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Cayleigh, there are much better trainers out there to follow than Parelli. You'll find that most of us here think Parelli is a joke, and a good percentage of people on CoTH are very experienced, knowledgeable horsepeople who have experienced many, many training methods.

Spend your money on real trainers with real experience and successes. Try these books for starters-Basic Training of the Young Horse by Reiner Klimke;Training Your Colt to Ride and Drive by Marilyn Childs, and I also like Bob Robinson's ​Show Your Horse.

There's some good videos out there as well. I rented a couple of Richard Shrake videos from my local library one time. I thought they were very good- and no hokey crap like Parelli likes to preach.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    They are trained..... Kinda we just don't like their training. Where I was before, I was consider an expert rider and a knowledgable horse person so the horse I got was considered good for me. The other horse is really my dad but he hasn't been out in a while do I've been working with him. I didn't want my dad to get him because he was a extremely nervous horse (much better now) and my dad is a extreme beginner, but my dad liked his personality. Part of the reason we bought them is because we had a budget of 1000 for both horses, but we ended up going over that. My dads horse was 1000 with all of his tack, which ended up being crap or not fitting him at all. Now I am attached go Jack too, which I why I am trying to train him so when my dad starts riding again Jack will be ready.
    Ok,
    I know I am going to sound like that uber bitch,
    But GIRL:
    use paragraphs.
    Spell check
    and brush up on that thing called grammar.

English is my second language. your posts are head ache inducing!

(I know I lost.. attacking grammar and spelling...)

10 members found this post helpful.

Default If you really believe in PP...

You should see him attempt to cut cattle. I have seen him multiple times and most shows he comes close to falling off! His horses have absolutely no idea what they are doing and it shows, but he is claiming to be an expert cutting horse trainer now. Cutting is one place where you have to be real partners and know and trust your horse, and vice versa. Not a place you can fake it, and believe me he shows his true colors there. You ought to see the idiot saddle he rides in. I've taken to videoing some of his rides and when he finally hits the dirt (he has had to grab leather multiple times), I am posting it on youtube.

I highly recommend you get some real help from a real trainer before you or your dad (or your horses) get hurt. JMHO.
    Second place is first loser.

Cayleigh, as a teenager it is not possible for you to be an expert on anything, least of all horses.
    I'm almost three times your age, been riding since I was 4, and still ride at least 5 days a week - I'm not an expert! I hope I am still learning every day. Please don't label yourself yet. You will look back on this phase of your life and will be amazed at what you don't know you don't know.
    Horses take a lifetime, don't put so much pressure on yourself.
    Just some advice from someone too old to still be considered cool. (But I really was once).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gf7w_1ifus

I had "cake"on the brain...lol

Then, he had to put out the "damage control" video..it is on Youtube too.

How much more do you need to see?

I did there was only one video ad the quality wa horrible and I couldn't see anything!

Cayleigh,

Regardless of what level you were considered at your other barn as you've admitted you still have lots to learn, especially in basic horsemanship. Can your parents afford lessons for you?

I also, know at one point you mentioned you might be moving your horses to your house is that still the case or are you going to continue to board?

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    Cayleigh, I'm trying really hard to keep this train from completely derailing.
    Do you mind sharing more info on your horses? What are their ages and their breed? What did they do before they came to you? how often are they worked? How long have you been riding and what is your discipline (hunters? Western? Trail?)
    I know this BB has really knowledgable people. They'll give you good suggestions, just don't ask them to participate in any Parelli BS.
    Ok so, Jack is a Tennessee Walker gelding. 7 years old, he was a show horse, now very good though, he was called Jack-in-the-box. His owner stopped ridding, let her barn use him for trails. Supposedly found out her barn was abusing him and moved him to where we were. She allowed my trainer to use him but because he was so nervous he was only ride once, by me. He is now a western trail horse. The other horse Apache is complicated. We don't really know anything g about him. We know we are al least his fourth owners. It seems he was passed around because everyone was scared of his speed. My trainer bought him from a family that only had him for three or four months and was told her was spotted saddle horse, which he clearly is not!! They said he was too fast and their horses couldn't keep up. My trainer trades an extremely slow ex-race horse for him. I was the only one that would ride him, everyone else was scared. I fell in love with him and eventually bought him a few months later. He is western and English and is 8 years old, we believe he is a quarter horse, Tennessee walker mix. He seems to get into a gait sometimes.

I actually meant "not in training or lesson program currently." Lots of horses are ridden and trained for their entire lives and are not beginner suitable horses. Ever.

You need to be taking lessons. On a appropriate horse. In person. With a real, live, knowledgeable trainer. Not one on DVD or You Tube. Take the $$ that you were going to spend on Parelli (which is not cheap) and apply it to the above.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Ok,
    I know I am going to sound like that uber bitch,
    But GIRL:
    use paragraphs.
    Spell check
    and brush up on that thing called grammar.

English is my second language. your posts are head ache inducing!

(I know I lost.. attacking grammar and spelling...)
    Haha sorry, I'm typing really fast and I'm on my iPod so it's hard to type plus I have to catch autocorrect mistakes.