The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    If Cayleigh is really 16, and she sounds it, I actually feel a bit bad for her. If she were an older person and all the warnings, that's one thing, but a kid?, kinda feel badly for her.
    Yes she is 16 I believe or of a similar age. Young and inexperienced with horses check out her other threads. Unfortunately, it would seem she doesn't have anyone that is knowledgable helping her at this point and the barn she boards at isn't doing her any favors IMO.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Cayleigh,

Would these people at your barn with these awesome horses be the same ones that told you that your horses don't need their teeth floated until they are "older" and don't properly feed your choke prone horse??

Look if you want to use Parelli to learn some basics go for it but you are young and need a educated professional to work with you live to help you become a great horsemen.
    Cayleigh is 15 and has does not have anyone with a lick of horse experience to help guide her. If you check her threads in the Horse Care forum you will also see that she depends on things "people told her" or "she read somewhere", and isn't really interested in the advice she has been offered.

According to Cayleigh:
    1. Horses don't need to have their teeth cared for until they are "old" - a "vet" told her this too!
    2. If her horse keeps choking they may have to put him down because her dad does not want to pay the bills. (Of course the choking has nothing to do with the fact that the horse has never had his teeth done).
    3. Her horse must have ulcers because he is "burping".

Personally I think she is just a bored teenager who enjoys stirring people up on the internet. If we ignore her perhaps she will go somewhere else?

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I'm not saying Parelli I the only way, I didn't say it in the post either, that was my reasoning for starting Parelli again. I hav been to a trainer but it didn't help a ton and Parelli is the best training system I have found. I tried Sylvia Scott but if your horse didnt do what she said it would then you were out of luck. She didnt tell you what to do if that didnt work where as Parelli does. Plus it's a complete system that is easy to follow.
    Where are you located and what are your riding aspirations and perhaps someone here on can recommend a professional to you.

PT Barnum for the win!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    16 is nearly grown.
    But not old enough to barg into a room full of strangers and basically telling them they are all a bunch of mean, hatin horse abusers, for forcing them to do stuff.

When I was 16 that would have gone over like a lead balloon.
    Similar to what Linda did to that poor one eyed horse!
    I never said you guys abuse you horses. Absolutely no where in here did I say that. Even if I did think that, which I don't, I wouldn't post it on here because I was raised better. I tho I everyone one on here has a lot of horse knowledge everyone rjust clearly does not agree

Yes she is 16 I believe or of a similar age. Young and inexperienced with horses check out her other threads. Unfortunately, it would seem she doesn't have anyone that is knowledgable helping her at this point and the barn she boards at isn't doing her any favors IMO.
    Well, then, I'm torn between my normal snarky self and being a smart alec (sp??) and being helpful to a big kid who need some guidelines. But, she sounds pretty set and know-it-all, which makes me think some snark may be needed...which would be ignored and her back will be up further.

I remember, back in the day (yes, another story coming up so stay with me), when I was young and although I'd been around many horses by her age, I thought I knew it all and was an end-all, be-all rider. Got a little hard-headed there for a few years. So, as long as the horse isn't being abused (tough go with the Peps from what I've seen), maybe this is a phase once she'll grow out of when she's older once she starts paying for everything on her own. *shrugs*
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Well, then, I'm torn between my normal snarky self and being a smart alec (sp??) and being helpful to a big kid who need some guidelines. But, she sounds pretty set and know-it-all, which makes me think some snark may be needed...which would be ignored and her back will be up further.

I remember, back in the day (yes, another story coming up so stay with me), when I was young and although I'd been around many horses by her age, I thought I knew it all and was an end-all, be-all rider. Got a little hard-headed there for a few years. So, as long as the horse isn't being abused (tough go with the Peps from what I've seen), maybe this is a phase once she'll grow out of when she's older once she starts paying for everything on her own. *shrugs*
    Look I agree she doesn't appear to want to hear what anyone here has to say on any of her threads. It would seem she is an environment that isn't conducive to learning proper horse care or even basic horse handling skills.

Part of me wants to be snarky with her too the other part wishes she would share what her goals are and hopefully a member on here can point her in the direction to help her.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    Cayleigh is 15 and has does not have anyone with a lick of horse experience to help guide her. If you check her threads in the Horse Care forum you will also see that she depends on things "people told her" or "she read somewhere", and isn't really interested in the advice she has been offered.

According to Cayleigh:
    1. Horses don't need to have their teeth cared for until they are "old" - a "vet" told her this too!
    2. If her horse keeps choking they may have to put him down because her dad does not want to pay the bills. (Of course the choking has nothing to do with the fact that the horse has never had his teeth done).
    3. Her horse must have ulcers because he is "burping".

Personally I think she is just a bored teenager who enjoys stirring people up on the internet. If we ignore her perhaps she will go somewhere else?
    Haha. I don't think those things, those are things I had been told but I now know better and am have his teeth checked. I can only find two things that his burping could be but in order to treat it I have to rule out ulcers. If you know something else it could be PLEASE tell me. I do know people with a lot of people with horse knowledge. And for your information I am not a bored teen stirrin you guys up, I don't have time to stir you up for fun. I am just trying to get more information. That is all I am trying to do is be a better horse owner and get more info and people are blowing up at me.

Where are you located and what are your riding aspirations and perhaps someone here on can recommend a professional to you.
    Chesterfield Va. For one horse, I want him to be a beginner trail horse and the other I want to be able to give my little cousin and friends lessons one and be able to do a mixture of things like jumping, trail riding, barrel racing, pole bending, pretty much everything but mainly a good trail horse.

I never said you guys abuse you horses. Absolutely no where in here did I say that. Even if I did think that, which I don't, I wouldn't post it on here because I was raised better. I tho I everyone one on here has a lot of horse knowledge everyone rjust clearly does not agree
    you implied as much with your little line 'some people think natural horsemanship is dumb' and all the jazz how those people think you have to force horses to comply with your wishes.

One can thoroughly despise NH and still be a kind and gentle trainer.

we pretty much do agree that Parelli is about as bad as they come.
    he talks a good game. And he knows how to spin it.

but in the end, he still sells snakeoil and parts fools from their money.

Find a real trainer. somebody who can give you real time feedback.
    There is no system.
    You know why?
    Horses can't read.

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't think I know everything! The more I do and learn the more I realize I do t know that much. That's why I'm on here asking questions because I know I don't know everything.

I don't think I know everything! The more I do and learn the more I realize I do t know that much. That's why I'm on here asking questions because I know I don't know everything.

the asking is the easy part.
    accepting and digesting answers not in line with what you expected... that's where the learning comes in.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ok y'all anyone near Chesterfield, VA that can recommend a few professionals to Cayleigh? Sounds like her aspirations are pretty basic: solid trail horses and one horse that she wants to do some small jumps, pole bending, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Fee, fie, foe, fum, I smell a 4 letter word starting with T.

Um.... Turd??

OP: For Parelli fans, go to a parelli board. Why come here and say this, esp after seeing how people feel about it. Ask for other recommendations or advice, but don't come here and argue how great the guy is. Otherwise you sound like you're just bored and looking for something to do.

Egads, I had to erase what I had posted and going to try again. If you are serious, start 'listening' to what is being said here.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    Um.... Turd??

OP: For Parelli fans, go to a parelli board. Why come here and say this, esp after seeing how people feel about it. Ask for other recommendations or advice, but don't come here and argue how great the guy is. Otherwise you sound like you're just bored and looking for something to do.
    Thanks, didnt know they had Parelli boards. I didn't realize people here didnt like Parelli until after I posted it, otherwise I would have!

Cayleigh,
    Unfortunately we all end up with a trainer or two (or three...) that doesn't help us with the issues our horses are presenting to us. If it were easy to train horses then everyone would be doing it correctly. But when you run into a local trainer that doesn't help the answer is NOT PP.
    I wish you & your horses the best and please come back here when the carrot stick doesn't work and Linda P has taught you 'Lindage' (that's the name I made up for her version of dressage which is 100% incorrect). Peace to you.

The first part of learning is to recognize what you don't know. So kudos for that. But frankly, you also need to start out with the proper horse(s), and 16 year old beginner + two skittish, nervous horses + no training is a recipe for disaster. Throw in Parelli and it's like adding nitroglycerin to the mix. If you're lucky, you'll just end up frustrating the horses and yourself and not get hurt badly.

Find a trainer to properly evaluate your horses. Some horses are cut out to be beginner trail horses. Some are not. The best way to get a bombproof beginner trail horse is to buy bombproof beginner trail horse, just as the best way to get a jumper is to find one that already jumps. When you don't know what you're doing, it's hard to train a horse to do something it doesn't know how to do.

So, anyway. Be realistic. You may need to sell one or both of the current horses and buy one that will work for your needs now. Not one that you think you can train into something in the future, but one that can be tolerant and patient and help you do what you want to do. Without getting hurt or smacked with carrot sticks or spending $5000 on random useless DVDs and equipment or looking at used sweaty breeches on eBay and wondering if they'll help you ride better.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Cayleigh, I suggested a different forum about two pages ago. Let me suggest another one: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Parellinaturally/

If you want to learn a method, it makes no sense to argue with people who don't want to learn that method. Go somewhere where people using the method will give you some guidance.

On the other hand, if you just want to argue, exchange insults, and enjoy the train wreck, well, this is the place for you!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    Cayleigh, I suggested a different forum about two pages ago. Let me suggest another one: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Parellinaturally/

If you want to learn a method, it makes no sense to argue with people who don't want to learn that method. Go somewhere where people using the method will give you some guidance.

On the other hand, if you just want to argue, exchange insults, and enjoy the train wreck, well, this is the place for you!
    what?
    You made fresh popcorn?
    (there is actually a popcorn icon, we need that!)