The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 228
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    77

    Default Parelli

    So I started Parelli last spring, but stopped for a while. I'm now getting back into it because I know my horses need it. I know it takes as long as it takes, but other people that do Parelli, how long did it take you to do each level?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,170

    Default

    I have no useful advice for you beyond wow, the Christmas train wreck gift came early this year!

    (Most people on this board do not do Parelli. Fair warning.)


    39 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Gots me some sushi and a nice bottle of imperial stout. Ready for the show!

    ...just to actually begin with something that might be helpful, why do you say that you "know your horses need it"?


    8 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    22,907

    Default

    Whoa...popcorn at the ready. Choo choo.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,221

    Default

    You may want to do a search for previous Parelli threads.

    Or, maybe not, if you want to keep your innocence.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I have no useful advice for you beyond wow, the Christmas train wreck gift came early this year!

    (Most people on this board do not do Parelli. Fair warning.)
    There really IS a Santa Claus!

    Yee HA!


    14 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Yea, I just relized right after I posted it that people on here hate him after reading other Parelli posts :/
    I say my horses need it because one is very skiddish and nervous and the other is really excitable, doesn't like to go slow and is very hard headed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Why do they need Parelli? No horse needs parellli. Personally IMO not many horses bennifit from thier scam but so many people buy into it because they cant deal with their horse or use it as an excuse.

    Welcome the train wreck!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.



    21 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,221

    Default

    Oh, I think that hate is a strong word that doesn't really apply.

    Some people object to some the PPs do and teach, with plenty of reasons given already, if you read the previous threads.

    Here, let me make it easy for you:

    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...inda%20Parelli


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    2,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    So I started Parelli last spring, but stopped for a while. I'm now getting back into it because I know my horses need it. I know it takes as long as it takes, but other people that do Parelli, how long did it take you to do each level?
    Please, Cayleigh, for your own good, just walk away from the keyboard right now and forget about this thread.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    10 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    Tipped toed in for a quick glance - Uh oh. Back peddles at high rate of speed out of thread!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Gots me some sushi and a nice bottle of imperial stout. Ready for the show!
    A ceilidh begun by Cayleigh!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Cayleigh, there are other "natural horsemanship" methods out there that have been around longer, are less gimmick-y, and generally considered gentler and more logical than Parelli's methods. You might want to explore a little further... look especially for Ray Hunt, the Dorrances, Buck Brannaman, Mark Rashid, etc. Even Julie Goodnight or Ponyboy, while more commercialized (especially Ponyboy, who's really a guy from Jersey), are both still safer and more common-sense than Parelli.

    A main thing to consider is that all natural horsemanship centers on "feel," which is one thing you can only learn in person and not through DVDs. So a better bet is to find a really good, reputable trainer (preferably not one who associates with just one method, but can cite multiple influences) to work with you and your horses together.


    18 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I don't understand why people thin he's a scam because of his prices. Most big trainers stuff is really expensive like Clinton Anderson


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I don't understand why people thin he's a scam because of his prices. Most big trainers stuff is really expensive like Clinton Anderson
    If you read previous threads about this, you should by now know that it is their generally less than adequate horse handling and training that is being objected to, with examples given.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I don't understand why people thin he's a scam because of his prices. Most big trainers stuff is really expensive like Clinton Anderson
    And it keeps getting better. Good thing I have an excellent bottle of wine just begging to be opened.

    Cayleigh - I would consider most of those natural horsemanship video trainer types to be scams. They are to horse training what Dr. Phil is to psychiatry. No horse needs "natural horsemanship" and it won't do much to help you with your horses. The natural horsemanship types like Parelli and Anderson prey on beginnerish types who are overhorsed. For real training, seek a real trainer.

    That said, bring on the wine and popcorn!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    9 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I don't understand why people thin he's a scam because of his prices. Most big trainers stuff is really expensive like Clinton Anderson
    Can't speak for others, but I think all the TV trainers are a scam. So I'm not singling out Parelli. Nobody can train a horse they've never seen, and nobody can learn to train horses by watching a DVD.

    That said, I will admit the carrot stick is a useful tool. I've actually used one. For a specific issue, with a real live trainer standing there showing me how to use it.

    Anyway. That's my gripe about Parelli and Clinton Anderson and all that ilk.

    Parelli I have an extra problem with because he lies to people. Like how he says you don't need to wear a helmet if you buy his product. I think that's a dangerous lie. Don't you?


    15 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    That said, I will admit the carrot stick is a useful tool. I've actually used one. For a specific issue, with a real live trainer standing there showing me how to use it.
    They do make most excellent whacking sticks.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    12 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    21,021

    Default

    If your horse is skiddish he probably needs new tires. Merry Christmas COTH!


    38 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    34,456

    Default

    where has 7 been?
    I have not seen him in a long time!


    Ok, in the christmas spirit, before the Christmas spirits set in:
    Maybe there are useful things in the program, I honestly don't know.
    And I am so not going there.

    But what I think is a neat program to work a horse 'outside the box' is Linda Tellington-Jones' TEAM/TTOUCH.
    I have dappled with it, back in the late 80s/early 90s. and while I did not even scratch the surface, I saw some dramatic positive results.
    A lot less hype and snake oil, but plenty of voodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Parelli does it again?
    By Old Mac Donald in forum Off Course
    Replies: 738
    Last Post: Jul. 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
  2. Parelli at WEG
    By Foxtrot's in forum Off Course
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: May. 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
  3. Parelli? We don't need no stinking Parelli!!
    By Guilherme in forum Off Course
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 23, 2010, 06:41 PM
  4. Parelli?
    By ApolloGirl in forum Off Course
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Jan. 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 142
    Last Post: Jun. 11, 2007, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness