The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What blanket for a big TB with big shoulder? Hug blanket too small

I have a big TB with a big shoulder. Her usually wears an 84", but I've only used coolers and a show sheet on him. Now I need a lightweight turnout. I got a Hug in 84" but it is not long enough and I can't find it in an 86". The drop is just barely deep enough. What other blankets might fit correctly?

Call these guys and see if they can assist you.....

http://www.shipshewanaharness.com/ec...=46&navPanel=0

I really like the Schneider's Big Fella blanket. Extra long drop, room for large shoulders.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Love Eous Blankets! They are great for big shouldered horses that need a longer drop. They also have a 3 yr. guarantee. I bought mine from smartipony.com. I have the sheet, mid wt. and hvy wt. I really like these blankets a lot.

I have Irish horses...big...and most are good with the Schneiders blankets made with 1650 denier, many come in 86" I did not find the "Big fella" blankets to hold up as they are not 1650 denier...the lining shredded for the 2 I bought in the first year though they had more room in the shoulder than the regular Schneiders. I also agree with the Eous. They have a lot of room in the shoulder. I wish the Hugs came longer too. There is a difference in the Hugs blankets depending on who they are made and sold for. Some hang longer so check into them and ask about how long they hang. I think the Hugs site has the longer sheets and blankets and the Dover catalog has shorter ones but it could be the opposite...either way ASK. PatO

I have an appendix with giant shoulders and he fits great in the Schneider's viking turnouts. My barn owner's draft cross also wears them and they fit him well too.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Amigo XL from Horseware...

Shires, especially the high-neck turnouts. My big-shouldered beast has had his for 3 years or so, and only recently yanked off one of the chest buckles. Never gives him shoulder rubs, either. Looks like they go up to 87".
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Turtlenecks!

I have a huge 17.2 big bodied Tb who fits perfectly in a Turtleneck Frost or Ice Turtle turnout size 80....check them out:

http://www.turtleneckinfo.com/

I have the Bucas blankets for my large shouldered TB. They are expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. They don't rub his shoulders at all and his turnout rug is extremely durable, the ballistic nylon outer hasn't ripped (knock on wood) since he began wearing it in November (he's turned out 24/7 and the horses he's with love to tear up blankets, in the past I have had quite a few that got destroyed).

http://www.bucas.com/products/

I've been really pleased with Masta blankets. Very reasonably priced, great fit, and durable. They also have a lot of room in the shoulders, and a long drop.
    I especially like the black with hot pink piping.
    I got mine from Picov's in Ontario.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!