The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face I said 'whoa" to my car the other day. LOL

I was moving it just a little ways and I dunno why, i said Whoa! when I got to where I wanted to stop. LOL I was at the barn, maybe that had something to do with it.

Try half halting your Ninja after a few hours on the horse... That could have gotten ugly really quick...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

I've done that myself!

I also think about cars counter cantering when I see one turn with the opposite blinker on!

I do that too! Or, when I'm breaking, I sit up and engage my core LOL.

For those of you who don't think of cars as metal horses, was the first time you said "whoa" in the middle of a near-wreck?

Usually, I drive my elegant truck silently, like a well-schooled horse. But were we in trouble, I'd add a "whoa," or maybe a "whoa, dammit."

Car geeks talk about "putting your foot in it" when you mean pedal to the medal. I don't, as that sounds rude. I think and talk about closing my leg. I put a chip in my diesel truck because when I close my leg, I want the horse or car to Go.

If I have to go to warp speed in order to pass someone on the freeway, I might add some voice, as in "You'd better go when I ask"--- just to let my truck know that I'm serious and I'll use the whip if she's not prompt.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have done that, and I have clucked at slow people in front of me

my horses stop when my phone rings

1 members found this post helpful.

I cluck at my boyfriend, car, dogs, anything that doesnt move quite quick enough.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Just like FLeventer, I cluck at anything that doesn't move fast enough.

My horses also stop when the phone rings. When I endurance rode, on training rides I would talk on the phone at full all out trots, on trails, zig zagging here and there. Most of the time I didn't pay attention to the trails (I did but didn't) when I talked on the phone. The horse did for sure. If I was not on the phone he would spook. On the phone, never any bad behavior. Go figure.

My gal pal has a horse whinnie ring for a calsl from other horse friends. One horse she rides talks back to the phone ring every ring. Funny. And it kinda sounds like a fake horse. But her horse seems to think there is another horse out there. My current trail horse slows down and "listens" to the conversation, or stops. But sometimes, she seems to think she needs to go faster when I talk on the phone.

The first intentional sound that DD ever made, at 6 months old, was a cluck. Now, whenever she see a horse on the tv, in a book, or in real life she cluck cluck clucks away then says "Ho Billy HO!!" (Whoa Willow)

Now everybody at the barn calls Willow, Billy the Ho.

She can now also do that funky European "brrrrupppp"noise that Willow was trained to slow the heck down to.

I use the "brrruuuppp" with the dog starts pulling on her leash, combined with a soft half halt and immediate release. I also hold the leash with my pinky on the outside, like one would hold a rein.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I say "whoa" to my car all the time. I also cluck, and I praise him if we've done something like accelerate nicely into a tight traffic window. "Good boy."

I often change leads at curves on my very curvy final country road to my house. And I sometimes make telephone poles mentally into jumps, even though I haven't jumped in forever.

Hitting the road now with my trusty metal steed. Merry Christmas to all!

I say it to my puppy all the time!
    Telling a worrier to relax is counterproductive. Then we worry about relaxing.

...but do you "snort" apprehensively and "steady" your car whenever you see a plastic bag blowing across the road in front of you? For some reason, passengers give me funny looks when I do this.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

I am also one who clucks at slow things. Often this can be my DH when I want him to get off his butt and do something. He is most times not amused!

I will find myself wanting to "half halt" a car I'm in if I'm not driving and I feel it should be slowing down faster than the driver does.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I cluck at my boyfriend, car, dogs, anything that doesnt move quite quick enough.
    Yes! Yes! Yes!!! I do this as well! Lmao! when My SO first heard me doing it to him, he asked; whaaaa?? Do you think I'm going to react like your horse!? Guess what? He does now.. And the kicker, he nor the boy or dogs complain they just do it! The more urgent the cluck, the faster they move.

I automatically pat the back/trunk of every car that I walk behind and I've caught myself saying "right behind you" to the car at the same time, like I do with my horses.

When I was learning to drive I was forever putting my leg into ...the car And I wanted my hands at 7 and 5

I close my fingers on the steering wheel to initiate a half halt

A BIG half-halt is a downshift to Third. I've also been known to cluck at folks instead of saying "excuse me," but I DO say "excuse me" to horses. I also call them "Sir." If my truck was a horse, she'd be a Hanoverian heavily on the forehand. My car would be a gray, 14.1 hand reiner.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    I was moving it just a little ways and I dunno why, i said Whoa! when I got to where I wanted to stop. LOL I was at the barn, maybe that had something to do with it.
    I have found my self "ho-ing" at the barn cats when they attempt to run into the house. I have also clucked at the DH to get him to move out of my way.

I also admit to unconsciously gripping the riding mower and driving it "heels down."