The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Default worst x-mas present ever recieved

in light of the Secret santa thread...just wondering what the worst horsey x-mas present ever was.
    You know, the kind where your aunt and uncle don't know what else to give you so they give you a horrendous looking silver unicorn statue w/ fake jewels popping out of it??

ummm....we just recieved a GIANT like 4ft long TROUT pillow from my hubby's brother.

Is that bad enough??? What do you DO with something like that???

Edited to add something horsey... my Dad's SO...bought me a "helmet"....it was about 2mm thick...fake velvet...and had an elastic band for a chin strap....that wasn't removable....Couldnt sell it, couldnt give it away, couldn't return it!!! I have NO earthly idea where she got IT! (and I don't really like her either anyways so it made it that much worse...)

I don't remember who posted, but one o f our CoTH'ers got a little stuffed horse. The relative who brought it proudly proclaimed that it was made of real horsehide and hair. The CoTH'er's little girl turned GREEN but had the manners to not say anything. They later gave it a humane burial in the back yard.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by zoehesed View Post
    ummm....we just recieved a GIANT like 4ft long TROUT pillow from my hubby's brother.

Sounds like a GREAT dog bed! (With a nice fleece blanket CRAFTILY thrown on top to hide the trout!)

For, it would have to be the last 5 cross pens my MIL has given me. One is nice, yes, but I get one EVERY year, so does my hubby, his sister and his sister's hubby, she buys them off of QVC. Really, I do not need another one, I swear. The one she gave me a BILLION years ago when I graduated from community college was enough.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by zoehesed View Post

My almost 3 year old son has one of those....a 4' rainbow trout. He sleeps with it, uses it as a pillow, and drags it all over the house.

Worst horsey gift? My cheapo grandmother (who grew up with horses and raised her children with horses) sent me a rubber curry comb for my birthday. Nothing else; just the $.75 curry comb wrapped in a pretty box.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

3 members found this post helpful.

last year my aunt and uncle gave me Britany Spears perfume and purple beaded curtains. Luckily, I was able to return the curtains, but the perfume is still unopened and sitting somewhere in my closet.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    I don't remember who posted, but one o f our CoTH'ers got a little stuffed horse. The relative who brought it proudly proclaimed that it was made of real horsehide and hair. The CoTH'er's little girl turned GREEN but had the manners to not say anything. They later gave it a humane burial in the back yard.
    Oh ick!!!

Default :)

Neoprene neck sweat from a non-horsey person who overheard me talking about blinged browbands and thought that's what the purchase was.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    That is so gross! If I got that I think I would cry!!
    Katie

"I'm not afraid to fall, to fall is not to fail, you fail when you don't try"

My sister had gastric bypass surgery and gave me one of her "fat" sweaters to use for horseback riding

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos mom View Post
    My sister had gastric bypass surgery and gave me one of her "fat" sweaters to use for horseback riding
    hahahaha!!!!

My first college roommate bought the most hideous pair of matching ceramic horse heads on eBay and gave them to the girl next door who was on the equestrian team They looked evil, their eyes were red and they had huge nostrils and bared teeth. Additionally since they were used they had chips and scuffs all over. Recipient later told me that her mother had found the perfect spot to display them... in the far back corner of the closet

Thankfully I managed to avoid those, but for whatever reason I got a used copy of Sunset Boulevard on VHS. I don't think that girl was very good at picking presents.

My mom, bless her heart, is not horsey at all but tries very hard to find unique horsey presents. Several years ago she bought me this hand-appliqued jacket she found at a craft fair. The base of the project was a man's suit coat in a horrible grey plaid that was probably 4-5 sizes too big for me. To make it worse, it had QHs cut out of some western print fabric appliqued randomly all over it! Of course since it was handmade, it was non-returnable.

Poor mom thought it would be just the thing for me to wear to shows...

I'm an eventer -- and have never owned a QH -- so I'm not sure what sort of shows she thought I'd be wearing it to
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

A large white t-shirt (I am not a size large) with a cheezy photo of three horse heads that says: "Let's Be Friends!"

From SIL. Who genuinely and sincerely dislikes me.

These are making me laugh so hard! I can luckily say that I have never gotten anything THAT bad. *keeping fingers crossed that her luck stays that way*
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

oh yes the unavoidable horsie wear.
    My dad tries so hard, bless him, but once many years ago gave me a davinci horse (you know the drawing that davinci did) sweatshirt...I think it was an xL so I look like a...well I dont know swallowed up in that thing. and the horses *balls* are clearly in the picture, and being an XL were bigger than life practically. At the time, definitely not something a shy teenager was going to wear.

A black sweatshirt that said "A horse is a horse, of course, of course, unless it's a Tennessee Walking Horse" from my uncle and his girlfriend.

Fine, but I've never even seen a TW, let alone ridden one. Straight up eventer here with a barn full of Thoroughbreds. And the sweatshirt appeared to have a good dose of cat hair on it to boot!

Also, many random horsey knick knacks from my grandmother-in-law--horsey thermometer, pillow, wall plaque etc. Oh well.

On the bright side, my mother-in-law gave me a gift cert. to Bit of Britain for my birthday one year!

When I was a child my grandparents gave me a model horse which I'm sure was quite expensive, as it was leather and definitely a "decorative" item, not a toy. But this horse had the most horrendous expression on its face--eyes bulging, mouth open and baring down on some imaginary enemy, nostrils flared. It looked like an ancient representation of a war horse. I couldn't keep it in my room at night I was so scared of it.

1 members found this post helpful.

A few years ago SIL gave me some sort of wall candle holder made out of rusty metal that was supposed to look like leather straps.
    I donated it to the Friends of the Richmond Mounted Police yard sale at the state fair.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    A few years ago SIL gave me some sort of wall candle holder made out of rusty metal that was supposed to look like leather straps.
    I donated it to the Friends of the Richmond Mounted Police yard sale at the state fair.
    Ahhh, but did it sell?
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen