The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like Wilker's and the SmartPak brand saddle pads: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search. The SmartPak pads don't have billet straps, but they have the girth loop. I hate billet straps anyway and cut them off most of my saddle pads since they're never long enough anyway.

The Dover Rider's International pads are nice and tough (I have a couple that are literally 10+ years old and still going strong, though they're super faded) but are quite small.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I have an Ogilvy baby pad that was a gift and I plan to buy more as I really like it. So far, it has held up well, washed nicely, no fading, and stays in place without straps.

I have PRI pads for dressage and they do seem to hold up very well and look good. Well priced, too.

I'm not a fan of the Dover pads as they seem to always shrink. I just have a 17" saddle, but the Dover pads shrink too small to fit, especially in side to side drop. That's washed in cold and line dried, too!
    Last edited by horsepoor; Dec. 24, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

I have three of these pads from Schneider's. They hold up forever.
    http://www.sstack.com/english_saddle...-dressage-pad/

It's a dressage pad, but I have taken out the dividers on one of them to accommodate my jumping girth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Ogilvy's baby pad fan here!
    I have 4. Well, 3.... I can't find my navy blue one and I suspect someone recently stole it...anyway. They are gorgeous and fit perfectly under the saddle. They dry quickly and my black and my (sigh) navy blue ones haven't faded yet after being washed so often.

Worst pad ever was the Greenhawk baby pad. I liked the color but that's about it!
    Too long, stiff material, color fading a lot... I wasn't expecting that much for 15$ either.

Horze brands-- I have three different styles. I know they monogram them for you but I have not done that.

Do not personally care for SmartPak brand, the monogramming is awesome but they "pilled" and look ratty after only one wash.

Ogilvy is pretty awesome! Someone suggested it to me a few weeks ago and I got a saddle pad and half pad for Hanukkah and rode in it schooling at a show jumping and all and it never slipped. Unfortunately I've only been able to ride in it once, but that's a different story! It's really nice and though I can't comment on durability, I would buy another one.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have one lovely custom pad from Seamsright. It cost alot, but you won't find a better square pad anywhere. Wish I could afford to own more than one!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Ogilvy fans - I just looked at their website, and the pads look really nice!

But the shipping is more expensive than Dover! I realize it's coming from Canada, but $20 to ship one pad really bumps the price up.

Did you get them from somewhere else, get a deal on the shipping, or just suck it up pay the $20?

I have not read the entire thread but call equine textiles in Mt Sterling, ky. They will custom make the pads for you and do the embroidery too... Have had really good luck with them over the years. Nice people and a good product! Very reasonable too!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Ogilvy fans - I just looked at their website, and the pads look really nice!

But the shipping is more expensive than Dover! I realize it's coming from Canada, but $20 to ship one pad really bumps the price up.

Did you get them from somewhere else, get a deal on the shipping, or just suck it up pay the $20?
    I think I saw that Mary's Tack had the Ogilvy baby pads for a reasonable price. Mine was a gift, but I'd looked at Mary's as a place to buy more.

PRI pads are nice. The cheap Dover pads are too small. I use and like Back on Track pads but they are probably not a good choice for what you are looking for.

I didn't have a lot of luck with the Wilkers (They seemed to get smaller in the wash), and the internationals will most likeley be a little small for what you are doing.

I have several of the Schneiders and they wear really well and are a good size.

I just had a over a dozen Roma pads monogramed, and am really happy with how they turned out, and they were CHEAP! (Less than $25 per pad and the monogramming was just under $20). One of my friends also said they wear very well so I am hoping I have a winner.

I also have a horze pad and it is a great saddle pad, although it is a kind of strange color. I am also pretty happy with my lettia pad and it is without a doubt the prettiest pad I own.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Darden19 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm going to be ordering square pads to embroider with the farm logo for the upcoming season as our schooling pads have not held up well. I've decided NOT to scrimp and save this time around, because nothing drives me crazier than our flimsy square pads slipping and bunching up underneath the saddle. I can't imagine that's very comfortable!

Does anyone have a favorite brand of square pad that holds up well to a lot of use?

Thanks in advance!
    Jack's MFG does wonderful square pads in 2 sizes and custom colors and trims at no extra cost..I have some still going strong after 10-15 years in regular use
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I like Wilker's and the SmartPak brand saddle pads: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search. The SmartPak pads don't have billet straps, but they have the girth loop. I hate billet straps anyway and cut them off most of my saddle pads since they're never long enough anyway.
    I've been replacing my old $10 Dover pads since buying a new saddle that they're laughably small under. I've gotten two of the AP Lite ones from Smartpak and been quite pleased with them thus far. I've also gotten a couple of these TuffRider pads which are quite reasonably priced and in a nice range of colors, and really like them. My favorites, though, are Wilkers and PRI. The pad I use for XC is a Wilkers that looks brand new, despite being used hard when it is used

I like the PRI pads and the pads from Horze, that pad from Oglivy is listed at almost $60! I have no idea why someone would pay so much for something, especially if you needed a bunch of them for a team!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I like the PRI pads and the pads from Horze, that pad from Oglivy is listed at almost $60! I have no idea why someone would pay so much for something, especially if you needed a bunch of them for a team!
    The Ogilvy baby pads I'm talking about are $37 at Mary's ... Still a lot, yes, but not $60.

Forgot to mention my other favorite, but not cheap, is Eskadron. I've managed to pick up several on sale and those last forever and look nice.

Of course, my newest favorite for the roly poly boy is EcoGold...but those cost way too much to outfit a group with!

I love the Roma pads. After trying several brands, I keep going back to them for fit and durability. My one complaint is they will pill with frequent washing, but I never seem to be happy with the fit or thickness of other brands.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I got mine from a local tack shop here in IL. I think you can check the website it has a "where to buy" link and you just select the state and it tells you the tackshops you can buy them at. Maybe there is one close to you so you don't have to spend all that money on shipping. Or contact a local tack shop about carrying Olgivy products.

I love my Horze pads and if you catch a 50% off code you can get a steal! They have some odd colors and some normal ones, just depends on what you want. I like the Chooze pad in navy, https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88271215_o.jpg

I despise the PRI pads. I've got two, and they both slipped so badly (on mulitple horses, even with a neoprene non-slip) that the've been permanently retired after about 8 uses.
    I like the High Point pad, and though the navy faded a bit, it's still in great shape, after several years of heavy use/washing.
    I wash my pads every 2-4 uses, so now I buy the cheaper ones and don't get attached to them I prefer Smartpak's as I can get the embroidery and shipping free (Barn buddies) but I do have one horse that goes much better in a Back on Track and so that's what uses most of the time.
    I find Roma kind of hit or miss. Some last forever, some seem to loose shape after a few washings (air dry only).
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...