The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does anyone have favorite square pads??

Hello all,

I'm going to be ordering square pads to embroider with the farm logo for the upcoming season as our schooling pads have not held up well. I've decided NOT to scrimp and save this time around, because nothing drives me crazier than our flimsy square pads slipping and bunching up underneath the saddle. I can't imagine that's very comfortable!

Does anyone have a favorite brand of square pad that holds up well to a lot of use?

Thanks in advance!

Yes!! Toklats square pads. They are awesome and they will. not. die. You have to make sure to order them in a color you like because they'll be around FOREVER. They are a little pricey ~$50 but they are pretty much indestructible. I don't know about custom monogramming options but you could always order the plain pad and then have it monogrammed somewhere else. I know for sure that they do basic monogramming.

If you're interested and can't seem to find them anywhere, let me know and I can get you in touch with our local tack shop that stocks them.
    Last edited by besttwtbever; Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%E...pad/p/X1-1997/

These have the straps for attaching to billets, and won't break the bank.

I have one from 4+ years ago that is still going strong- color faded a bit but it's still completely functional and doesn't look ratty.

I am very pleased with all four of the different styles I've ordered from Horze, all 50% off. Of course, I got bright obnoxious colors, but they come in more, err, "professional" hues as well.

2 members found this post helpful.

5 Star wool pads are definitely the best.

http://5starequineproducts.com/

Since I ride in an 18" saddle, I like the large Shires pads. I think they run about 30 bucks or a few pennies less.

Well, here is the link: http://shop.shiresequestrian.com/c/f...ds-accessories
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I adore Wilker's and PRI.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I've recently invested in a couple of the Ogilvy baby pads and I absolutley love them. They do not have staps to attach to billets but the underside of the pad is a soft cotton thats non-slip. I haven't missed the staps at all. Also, I can say that they dry very quickly - as in I usually untack, groom, put horse away, and the pad is ready to go in my tack locker nice and dry. I haven't had them long but so far I think they are holding up well with 5 rides a day or so in each of 2 pads.

This is the link - https://www.ogilvyequestrian.com/details.php?id=13

If anyone has used one longer or has comments on durability I'd like to hear.

I like PRI pads. They are cheap, I have found them to be durable, and they come in about a billion color/piping combinations.

3 members found this post helpful.

PRI pads or Roma pads. Both are awesome and last forever. Good price as well.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I have to second the Ogilvy pads - beautifully made & they wear like iron! I actually prefer the jump profile pad which has a billet strap:
    https://www.ogilvyequestrian.com/details.php?id=9

They also come in different cuts/sizes - so you can actually get a saddle pad big enough for a 18 inch saddle even if the horse has serious withers! Just click on 'order now' button to see all the colour/piping etc options available...

I LOVE THESE PADS.

I absolutely adore the Ogilvy pads as well! I've had mine since early June and it still looks amazing. The different sizes is a huge bonus, as is free piping and trim customization if you order through their site. They are a little bit more costly than a basic saddle pad, but their defiantly worth it because they stay where you put them and give great wither clearance!

Quote Originally Posted by make x it x so View Post
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%E...pad/p/X1-1997/

These have the straps for attaching to billets, and won't break the bank.

I have one from 4+ years ago that is still going strong- color faded a bit but it's still completely functional and doesn't look ratty.
    When they mark them down for $10, that's the time to get them. I have a baby blue one that's about 5 years old without any tears, just a bit faded. Haven't had any problem with them slipping either but they're a little small.

Make that three for the Olgivy! I have the hunter half pad, jumper half pad, and the baby/saddle pads. They stood up to a long summer of showing and still are in great shape! Also the Back on Track saddle pads are really nice I recently got one and it's thicker so I feel as though it will hold up nicely the only downside I see is that their very expensive but worth it if you have a horse with back issues!

Wow, all people who joined the board to say they love Olgivy products. That's some weird coincidence?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I love Lettia pads for AP & Dressage. I've had my APs for over a year, rotating between about 5 different pads. The colors stay vibrant, the stitching is awesome and the fit is great. I have solid color CoolMaxes as well as Baker Plaid & TyeDye. They never move under saddle and I only use the girth keeper at the bottom (I cut off the other one).

I also use PRI for dressage since Lettia doesn't have a wide range of dressage colors.

I didn't just join the board but let me jump on the ogilvy baby pad train lol. I have four, 2 are my original ones (about 2 yrs old) and they look the same as my newer ones. Love them

If you ride in a larger saddle with a fleece half pad, as I do, this is the only pad I have found so far to keep the fleece from hanging over the pad:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...ng/p/X1-19726/

I have to also have to jump in on this one too. I have 5 Ogilvy pads and love them. I also bought 2 more just a few months ago. I ride in an 18 5A saddle with a sheepskin and they fit my saddle really really well, which is a nice change since I have only ever been able to use the "baby pads" that are flimsy and aren't really that nice.

My absolute FAVORITES are the ones by Beval Saddlery, not the ones that come in the three-pack (although those are nice), but either the navy honeycomb quilt one or the white free wither ones. The white free wither ones did not show up on their website last time I checked (they have dressage size but not jumping) you have to call to order them. Well worth it, they are amazing and look and hold up very well. They also look great under bigger saddles!

I also love PRI pads, and someone gave me a Lettia Baker pad that seems nice, although I have yet to use it.

The super cheap Dover ones are surprisingly nice as well, but I have a saddle with a 17.5" seat and extra forward, extra long flaps and it barely fits. They tend to look best under saddles with 16.5, maybe 17" seats and below with regular to short flaps.

Integrity Linens makes lovely saddle pads, and I'm sure you could get great ones from The Clothes Horse as well.