The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best Body Clippers for Clipping 5-6 times a year

So, my parents have decided to buy me a pair of body clippers for my birthday this year. My black Morgan horse has very thick hair so I've been paying someone to body clip him because he sweats so much and I ride 5 times a week. He never loses all of his hair in the summer so he gets really hot! I always put a fly sheet on him though. So here is the question.

What body clipper is the best for thick hair and doesn't get too hot? This clipper needs to hold up and be used 5-6 times a year if not more. He gets trace clipped in the winter and full body clipped in the summer months. I am looking to stay under $350.

Thanks in advance!

Lister Stars.

I clip multiple horses multiple times a year with mine. They leave a nice looking clip that you don't have to go over with a smaller clipper.

I get about half the face done with them, and then switch to a mid size clipper like andis super 2 speed or oster A5.

Give you an idea, last year I full clipped my young TB twice, full clipped my old cushings TB twice and clipped the pony twice. All on the same set of blades.

Get someone to teach you how to clip, other wise you will remove the hair, but it will look bad.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I have a pair of Sunbeam Oster big clippers. Yes, they are noisy snd a bit heavy for some, but my pair have been going strong for 20+ years. Now thats only using them 2-3 times a year,but it has to be better than paying someone to do it for you that often.
    As for his hair coat, have you had your vet have a look? That much hair says to me a possible thyroid kind of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Lister Stars.

I clip multiple horses multiple times a year with mine. They leave a nice looking clip that you don't have to go over with a smaller clipper.

I get about half the face done with them, and then switch to a mid size clipper like andis super 2 speed or oster A5.

Give you an idea, last year I full clipped my young TB twice, full clipped my old cushings TB twice and clipped the pony twice. All on the same set of blades.

Get someone to teach you how to clip, other wise you will remove the hair, but it will look bad.
    I have been looking at the lister stars. There have been mixed reviews about them overheating though. I know how to clip, I just haven't done it for a while. My last barn had the andis 2 speed clippers and those didn't get through the hair very well.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    . I know how to clip, I just haven't done it for a while.
    Oh good! Wasn't trying to be condescending LOL- just there is an art to clipping that isn't self evident

Regarding heat-I personally have not had a problem with that. I follow the clipper directions and oil the motor every ten mins or so~ and that seems to keep everything lubricated and happy. I also run the blades through blade wash at the same time and brush the hair out of the vents.

I've really been very happy with the Listers. My old guy grows yak hair and doesn't (won't) wear a blankie so he is exceptionally dirty by spring clipping time. The clippers cut his hair beautifully. They also do a show ring appropriate job on my young guy.

I had the Andis clippers for many years and they did a good job on not very hairy clean horses, like the horses at the top hunter barn I groomed for. But for regular horses, not so much. Good luck.

The best clippers for ANY bodyclipping situation- Lister Stars. Worth every penny.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Oster Clipmasters. My old ones finally gave out two years ago (let me add that they were ancient!!! I bought them used 14 years ago!!!) and I just bought a new set of 610s after trying out a few other brands. They couldn't even cut through the leg hair. I'll always use Clipmasters. They're heavy and the fan blows hair in my face but they cut through that hair like a hot knife through buttah!

I have Laube Lazor shears that I love, and they can be used corded, or cordless with a battery pack. They might be pushing your budget a little, but for me they are well worth it.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Andis Progress. I used to always use Oster Clipmasters, but the Andis Progress uses the same blades, is lighter, quieter, stays SO much cooler, and does not have obnoxious air vents that end up blowing hair in your face.

I got the Lister Stars this year and was happy with them. I didn't have any trouble with them overheating. I did take them apart and clean them frequently- I don't think I did every 10 minutes as recommended, but probably 15-20 minutes. One thing to note, the blades they come with clip VERY CLOSE. I was a little surprised. I was talking to another friend of mine who bought the same clippers last year and she said she had the same experience that the blades they come with clipped too close, so she ended up getting a less fine set of blades and was happier with the hair length after that. Other good things: they were really easy to use and take apart, they are not very heavy, and they don't vibrate very strongly. They also don't blow hair all over the place like the old school clipmasters I had used in the past.