The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smartpak blankets?

Anybody have one? What is the quality? My mares blanket appears to have lost its waterproof-ness and had been patched so many times I think it's time for a new one!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I haven't had any experience with SmartPak blankets, but I bought one from Schneider's for my pony last year and am very pleased with it. It wasn't terribly expensive, fits really well and has held up well to hard play in the paddock.

Do you know which one it was that you got? I bought one several years ago and it didn't last one winter before it was shredded.
    The Blog

I'm assuming you're referring to the one with the 10-year warranty? I have one. I was pleased with the durability, but the darn thing shifts around like crazy. Won't stay in place. It's always hanging off sideways.

It has leg straps, which I'm not a fan of. I wish it had three belly straps instead like the Rambos. I never have trouble with a Rambo shifting.

It also runs tight in the shoulders and big in the butt, so it's an odd fit for a lot of horses.

I really, really wanted to like this blanket, but I'm buying another Rambo and sending this one to the rescue.

The Blog

I also tried the same one as Gainer, really hoping I would like it as much as my Rambo. My boy wore it less than 5 times and the lining started to rip out. I returned it and went back to my trusty Rambo. I know they are expensive, but they stay put and wear forever.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I thought I'd love the Smartpak blanket - good reviews on their site and most of their products are great, but yesterday my mare tore the tailflap off, and ripped the seam pretty good. This is a mare who has a 600D Saxon from 5 years ago that still looks new! Doesn't say good things if the Saxon is more durable! I got the Smartpak less than a year ago, so not even one full season

If you need a new blanket, honestly horze has won me over. My horse normally has to be in a belly band because he rolls so much, but I took a chance with a fleece lined rain sheet with cross under straps from horze. It doesn't rub, shift, or even get dirty... Seriously. And with a 50% off code you can get the nicest blanket they have for under $100!
    Smartpak has been creeping prices up for years. Now the only thing that keeps me going back to them is they have my logo on file for embroidery. I don't buy anything else from them. It's too expensive.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Just had a wild experience with the Smartpak Deluxe high neck Turnout blanket.

The blizzard that just creamed the midwest started out as a 4 hour solid downpour of warm rain the other night, complete with thunder storms. My mare had the above blanket on. She is turned out 24/7 and is free to come and go to her stall. I should mention, she prefers to stand outside. By dawn we had dangerous howling, bitter cold north winds and the temp was below freezing. What little snow we had blew around so much it wasn't deep at all.

Anyway, I walk out to the barn to feed the next morning and my mare is standing funny. Colic?? She kinda had the same stance a horse has after it has touched a hot electric fence wire- erect, head up then down, standing stiff. Either way, it was weird and something was cooking with her so I brought her into the aisle. I found the problem. Evidently she stood out during the rain storm and got the blanket drenched in rain then when the cold temps hit the blanket froze, in effect the blanket became a body cast around her! When I removed it it kept the perfect shape of her body. What REALLY impressed me was that my mare was bone dry underneath. I've had this blanket two years and haven't had a need to waterproof it so this was the original protection. I was impressed.

I put a "unfrozen" blanket on my mare and she sighed and was happy once again. Two thumbs up for the blanket. I've bought other Smartpak labeled products and have not been happy with them but this blanket is exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyandBaron View Post
    This is a mare who has a 600D Saxon from 5 years ago that still looks new! Doesn't say good things if the Saxon is more durable! I got the Smartpak less than a year ago, so not even one full season
    All my TBs have 600D Saxons. The oldest blanket in the fleet is 7 years old, still completely waterproof and in perfect condition save a little rusting on the fasteners. I've even washed them last winter. I've tried a host of other brands, and nothing compares. Sure, they're no-frills, leg band and straps type blankets, but dry means everything to me. And they have never left rubs on their coats. Two blankets have tiny snags where the one horse likes to rub his bum on things when he's itchy. Hardly the blanket's fault. I'm a fan for life, or until they change their manufacturing process.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the Smartpak Deluxe high neck turnout in medium and heavy weights. They seem very durable and I like the high neck but the drop is a bit short for my gelding so I keep them for back-ups. My main blankets are all Amigos.

SLW - that's a little sad, but really funny! Your poor mare!

I have a SmartPak Deluxe high neck blanket for one of my horses. I really like it. Very nice quality and it's held up well in a field of rough horses.....so far. He's only been wearing it for a month so we'll see how well it holds up for the long haul.

My only complaint (and it's a super minor one) is that there's no velcro on the neck. I like blankets that velcro under the snaps/buckles in the front and that seems to be the normal thing these days, so I was disappointed that the SP blanket didn't have the velcro.

Aside from that the blanket is lovely and has kept my guy bone dry in absolute torrential downpours this year.

I love my Smartpak blankets. The oldest one I have is 6 yr old and just had it rewaterproofed. I do wash them A LOT and not with blanket wash. I do need to buy some hoods though to go with them. I also wished the med weight had hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    SLW - that's a little sad, but really funny! Your poor mare!

I have a SmartPak Deluxe high neck blanket for one of my horses. I really like it. Very nice quality and it's held up well in a field of rough horses.....so far. He's only been wearing it for a month so we'll see how well it holds up for the long haul.

My only complaint (and it's a super minor one) is that there's no velcro on the neck. I like blankets that velcro under the snaps/buckles in the front and that seems to be the normal thing these days, so I was disappointed that the SP blanket didn't have the velcro.

Aside from that the blanket is lovely and has kept my guy bone dry in absolute torrential downpours this year.
    It was funny in it's own way once I figured it out. The next day the sun was back and temps warmed up and it dried out on the fence and was ready to be put back in use.

I was impressed that it did 100% repel the torrential rain. She wasn't shivering and like I said earlier, she was bone dry underneath.

I think it may have been the Dura-Tech Viking Junior. Don't recall specifically, but it looks like the one we have on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Do you know which one it was that you got? I bought one several years ago and it didn't last one winter before it was shredded.

I just bought the Smartpak blanket you are looking at. It's lightweight but feels durable, the hardware is good quality (better than Weatherbeeta not as good as the older Rambos) and fits my TB well. My horse has been toasty in it with the temps being in the 20's and comfortable to stand outside when the wind was really blowing the other day. It's such a nice blanket, 2 other ladies bought the same one for their horses. I also like that the blue plaid makes it easier to spot the horses in the pasture. I started with the 75 (he was wearing a Rambo 75 lightweight turnout) but bumped up to the 78 just to get a little more coverage in the tail area. Smartpak was great to deal with and said to ship the 75 back and exchange it for the 78, even after the horse had worn it, but one of the ladies bought it instead.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    If you need a new blanket, honestly horze has won me over. My horse normally has to be in a belly band because he rolls so much, but I took a chance with a fleece lined rain sheet with cross under straps from horze. It doesn't rub, shift, or even get dirty... Seriously. And with a 50% off code you can get the nicest blanket they have for under $100!
    Smartpak has been creeping prices up for years. Now the only thing that keeps me going back to them is they have my logo on file for embroidery. I don't buy anything else from them. It's too expensive.
    I wish I had gotten one of the Horze blankets when they were on sale. My trainer bought several and has liked them really well so far. I have been keeping an eye out for another code, but so far nothing. I am guessing all the 50% off codes were to clear out all of this years stuff to make room for new stock.

I love the pink plaid of the smartpak blankets as that is my mare's color.
    The Blog