The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yvonne Losos de Muniz quits dressage over botched FEI & CAS rulings

wow, don't we have others in the USA who still ride for their country but mostly reside here?
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

And more at Dressage-news.com -

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=18239
    http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=18218

I couldn't believe it when FEI ruled against her to keep her out of the Olympics, and was equally incredulous when they repealed the judge exclusion rule immediately after the Olympics. It was very, very obvious there was favoritism at FEI toward Brazil, no doubt because the next Olympics will be there, and because of the many very wealthy horse owners there. What a black eye for FEI.

This pretty well sucks.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Big fat black eye for the FEI. Shame on all of them. I believe this proves without a doubt that Horse organizations - national and international - should have short term limits for those on the boards and committees. They are starting to be like Washington DC - living in their own world.

It's sad to see such a top athlete have to go through this crap and end up leaving the sport.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

1 members found this post helpful.

can someone summarize for me what happened? it seems very convoluted....

There was an individual spot at the Olympics up for grabs to the top ranked rider from the area. The rules said that qualifying scores had to be earned at competitions that met certain standards (CDI level, etc.) Luiza Tavares from Brazil ended up highest on the list- but many of her competitions violated one of the rules (that at least three judges on the panel were from other nations). Many of these competitions don't occur in a normal year and were staged in order to allow her to get her scores (although this isn't against the rules). Yvonne was ranked second on the list, but all of her scores were from competitions that met the criteria (at least 3 foreign judges).

There had previously been a procedure to apply for a waiver of this rule, but that wasn't done before the fact.

Horse dramas--the same whether its over a 4-H ruling at the county fair or FEI/Olympics. Just as convoluted, drama-filled, and unneeded.

Still, why quit the whole sport?
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    Horse dramas--the same whether its over a 4-H ruling at the county fair or FEI/Olympics. Just as convoluted, drama-filled, and unneeded.

Still, why quit the whole sport?
    It costs a considerable amount of money to pursue the sport at the elite level and if you are just going to get effed over by selectively interpreted rules what is the point in spending the effort. You can ride GP at home without spending tens of thousands of dollars to compete for qualification purposes and then get screwed.

Additionally if the judges you ride in front of were all on the tribunals during this smear campaign where the FEI was looking up your personal vehicle and whether or not you own a portion of Wellington would you really want to go pay money to ride in front of these people?

And, one of the articles said she sold her horses to pay for the legal fees for this.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    It costs a considerable amount of money to pursue the sport at the elite level and if you are just going to get effed over by selectively interpreted rules what is the point in spending the effort. You can ride GP at home without spending tens of thousands of dollars to compete for qualification purposes and then get screwed.

Additionally if the judges you ride in front of were all on the tribunals during this smear campaign where the FEI was looking up your personal vehicle and whether or not you own a portion of Wellington would you really want to go pay money to ride in front of these people?

And, one of the articles said she sold her horses to pay for the legal fees for this.
    THIS. Reminds me of what happened to Hayley Beresford and Belissimo M before London, although she was F-ed out of her spot by the Australian selection committee rather than the FEI. Both situations are/were total crap.

This is what happens when people at the top try to "jigger" the system. Reminds me of a similar debacle in the Show Jumping discipline years ago.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

What I don't understand, is why you would pursue it so far that you had to sell your horses to finance your case? Obviously, you're not going to the big O if you've sold your horses.

She is a lovely rider. This is such a sad situation.

Original Poster

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...g-dom-bra-case

And now a ridiculous statement from FEI Secretary General defending their handling of the case.

The FEI has the responsibility to enforce and, in this case, to defend the implementation of its rules. This is particularly important given the fact that under these rules athletes are competing for Olympic qualification and it is the duty of the FEI to ensure athletes have equal opportunities to qualify for the entire duration of the qualification period.
    Huh? An unfair rule was applied unfairly to give an unfair advantage to a competitor from a large wealthy nation that just happens to be hosting the next summer Olympics - and in the process, deny an Olympic ticket to a more qualified competitor, but who is from a small nation that not only has no hope of hosting a major international dressage competition, but also has a much smaller pool of wealthy owners or potential owners to tap funds from. It seems pretty obvious that FEI followed the money...

Edited to add that the Brazilian finished in 47th place out of the 50 riders who started the Grand Prix in London. I suspect Yvonne could have done better than that, but no matter to FEI - they wanted Brazil to be represented in the dressage ring at London, so Yvonne got the shaft.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Oct. 25, 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dressagegirl123 View Post
    What I don't understand, is why you would pursue it so far that you had to sell your horses to finance your case? Obviously, you're not going to the big O if you've sold your horses.

She is a lovely rider. This is such a sad situation.
    The comment was that she had to sell them to pay her legal fees - so I guess some were sold before the Olympics, and others sold afterwards.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    THIS. Reminds me of what happened to Hayley Beresford and Belissimo M before London, although she was F-ed out of her spot by the Australian selection committee rather than the FEI. Both situations are/were total crap.
    Yes, and look at where the Aussies ended up - of 50 competitors starting the GP in London, they finished in 37th place, 42nd place, and 43rd place. None of them advanced to the GPS - I would bet money that Hayley would have made it into the GPS and maybe even the GPF. But, like FEI, the Australian federation was going after the money, so they put the granddaughters of one of their most wealthy sponsors on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Yes, and look at where the Aussies ended up - of 50 competitors starting the GP in London, they finished in 37th place, 42nd place, and 43rd place. None of them advanced to the GPS - I would bet money that Hayley would have made it into the GPS and maybe even the GPF. But, like FEI, the Australian federation was going after the money, so they put the granddaughters of one of their most wealthy sponsors on the team.
    Yup! I will fully admit to chuckling at their results. I couldn't bring myself to root against them but I was definitely shaking my head and hoping the selection committee was was aware of how stupid their behavior was (doubtful, I know). Hayley is a fantastic rider and Belissimo I'd just a stellar horse, that was such a shame.

I am pretty sure that the hosting country gets rides anyway....do why not allow people who qualified should be allowed to ride. But really PERSONAL investigations....and if they are going to do that what about the americans/canadians/aussies who LIVE in europe. It seems like a personal vendetta almost.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Original Poster

Glad to see there will be another investigation after FEI's cavalier dismissal of complaints about its handling of this issue.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=18975

It is obviously too late to help Yvonne Loso de Muñiz, who got royally screwed by FEI in her Olympic quest, but maybe the investigation will shed more light on exactly why FEI blatantly misapplied its own ruling regarding national judges at CDIs, so Brazil didn't have to abide by the same rules as other nations regarding Olympic qualification.

Interesting. Do I understand correctly that the FEI chose the firm that is investigating the FEI's handling of the matter?