The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help me pick which saddle to save up for!

ok heres my choices, please weigh in and help me choose one to save for(unless ya know i find a once in a life deal on one of the others) I have ridden in each brand. Oh note It has to be built up hold you in to make riding easier and less painful, I am a para rider for those who dont know
    opinions please!

Luc Chelderic

Prestiege 1000 or 2000

Schlesse

Andd GOOO!!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I'm addicted to ebay and noticed there's a schleese going right now and the bidding is at $800 last I looked

I hate all the brands you've selected (they make L4/L5 scream on me) so I can't really weigh in on preference.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Whatever saddle fits you and the horse best...

I'm a huge fan of Stubbens myself. They've fit most horses I've run across and there's a model for just about anything you could possibly want/need.

1 members found this post helpful.

The one with the fitter you trust.

I've had wonderful luck with Schleese saddles ... just got my last one a few weeks ago for my new horse. It's the first one that wasn't custom fit for me and the BEST ever.

I have no experience with your other selections except for a Prestige jumping saddle that I liked a lot years ago.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

The most comfy saddle of those listed is by far the Childeric.

Its so funny - I've owned all 3 brands!

This is just my experience -

Schlesse (I had a LINK that I purchased new) this was a very comfortable saddle, but there seems to be a lot of material between the rider and the horse and I felt a little like I was sitting in a bit of a booster seat. I also had multiple problems with the company warrenty and fitters (although this is not the experience of others)

Luc Childrec was a great saddle that I bought used. I had been told that it is difficult to adjust the foam and sold it

I don't have much to say about the prestige, it was fine, the leather was nice....

(I presently have 2 albion SLK's - they fit the horses great and sit the rider in the correct position)

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    ok heres my choices, please weigh in and help me choose one to save for(unless ya know i find a once in a life deal on one of the others) I have ridden in each brand. Oh note It has to be built up hold you in to make riding easier and less painful, I am a para rider for those who dont know
    opinions please!

Luc Chelderic

Prestiege 1000 or 2000

Schlesse

Andd GOOO!!
    Not sure if you're needing the saddle to be modified by the manufacturer or if this can be done to an already existing saddle ...
    if the latter, look for nice used saddles such as this Prestige.

I'd hesitate with Childeric as the company does not support any adjustment of the tree - it would be nice to have a saddle that at least has some possibility of being altered to fit another horse or even a single horse as the horse matures.
    I'd also be inclined to choose wool flocking over foam due to the adjustability - there are excellent saddle fitter pads out which assist with fit issues but movement is a concern & it does not allow for as fine an adjustment. Re-panelling can be done with most foam saddles but cost is generally quite high, and turnaround time tends to be slow.

Schleese does have older saddles which are not as "built up" as their modern versions but tree adjustability is not a given - you can send the saddle serial # to Schleese to determine type of tree/panels etc. Note that even with the "adjustable tree" this does not guarantee a fit for a given horse, merely invites the possibility. Schleese can be difficult to work with if you are not in an area well serviced by their reps. Call & schedule a demo/fitting & see how it goes
    Note that most Schleese saddles are wide twist (or nearly so) & I've not seen rave reviews for their customized "narrow twist" saddles.
    A rather nice JES Elite
    Fine Used Saddles has a nice collection of Schleese saddles at this time - note that the tree is recommended to be adjusted by Schleese.

I like Prestige saddles but again you are subject to availability of tree adjustment - if you have a difficult to fit horse (or horse that is very sensitive about saddle fit), then I prefer to work with someone local that can fine tune the saddle as needed, rather than sending a saddle out to be done based upon photos etc.
    (BUT that is because I own that difficult to fit, absurdly sensitive horse )

You stated that you liked saddles from all 3 companies, but note the saddle models, there can be significant variation in rider fit between given saddles.

Contact any/all local saddle reps & arrange for demo fittings where you can actually ride in a saddle on your horse: if you end up ordering a custom(ized) saddle, the rep is a significant part of the experience

the more built up the better, so huge blocks are awesome
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    the more built up the better, so huge blocks are awesome
    An important consideration with Schleeses are whether they are mono-flap (and have a fixed knee roll) or the other option, where the blocks are attached by velcro and are adjustable.

I tried the mono-flap (which is *supposed* to give you a closer-to-the-horse feeling) and my natural drape put my knee right into the roll.

Tried a Triumph and it was better. I bought it. I had knee pain. Two weeeks later, Jochen Schleese was at my barn with (shockingly) time to pass and after watching me ride, moved the knee blocks WAY away from where they were ... and voila, not only a saddle that doesn't get in my way, but HELPS!

As far as I know, best-fitting foam saddles require a measurement and then trip to the factory to replace the foam. There's new-ish brand, Voltaire, that markets foam as a feature -- top fit for rider, bottom fit for horse.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=