The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

These people are losers, without a water source for any animal on the property they deserve to have Animal Control out there.
    Thank god for Kind people like You KR and the other kind soul.
    Stuff happens yeah, but this is blatent bad animal care! Rrrrrrrrr.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

6 members found this post helpful.

When I posted earlier I was willing to wait and see how it turned out-I will concede they were majorly out of bounds.

This was reserving judgement?

It's so interesting to think of how differently this story could be spun. You're choosing to be ugly about something that a real friend or even kindly stranger would handle no problem.

She asked you to come by just in case and sure enough, just in case happened. So her set-up isn't as squeaky perfect as you deem your own to be-obviously the horses are healthy and happy by your own admission.

I live in freaking MONTANA and it sounds like you live somewhere where dealing with a "blizzard" and frozen hoses (and heelers, for that matter) are perhaps not a daily occurance for six months of the year and maybe that is why you're so traumatized about it.

Hay=blankets-if horses can eat they won't get cold. I know that comes as a shock to some of you that aren't used to really handling horses in harsh climates (really harsh climates) but if they were camped out on the hay they were fine. She provided water in the form of you-who knows why the water wasn't plumb full (including the squirrel savers) but she didn't leave for days and NOT have a plan for water "just in case", she asked you and you're pissed off at her for it.

You're being terrible and acting like a spoiled little city brat and everyone here is egging you on.

The only thing I would do is lock those dogs up in the horse trailer with food and water until she returns and explain why. IF they're really as bad as you claim which to me right now is suspect.

10 members found this post helpful.

So, what tschotschke did they bring you back? A shotglass? Too-large tie-dyed t-shirt?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    This was reserving judgement?
    Well, no that was devil's advocate and my first hot-headed response. I think I posted later that "they might be screwballs" but let's give them a chance to prove that wrong or something along those lines. Obviously they did not but at the stage of the game that I posted the quote above the issue was water, obnoxious dogs, and shelter. And I still think the horses were totally fine shelter-wise so I thought it was early to be calling in the authorities and burning them in effigy.

I shouldn't have been rude about it though, that was a bad on my part no matter what I was thinking.
    Last edited by cowboymom; Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM.

11 members found this post helpful.

Default You did the right thing

KR, you did the exact right thing.

Unfortunately, the people who asked this favor will not benefit from anything you say to them. Advice will fall on deaf ears and any criticism will only spark animosity and hostility.

Horsekeeping habits are highly variable with success coming from several methods; but the common denominator is adequate water and food. These people left you to deal with their incompetence and didn't care if the horses paid for it. They are the worst sort of caretakers.

Upon their return, I would say nothing, do nothing. I would never answer their calls/texts again. If that is not possible, if you see them at church or school, I would just give them the cold shoulder.

We are all judged at the end and they WILL be held accountable.

I would not have moved the horses, put the dogs in the house, or any of that. If something happened - real or imagined - they would be first in line to sue you or insist on recompense in some form.

The horses were lucky to have you and your husband.

My equine dentist, who also works with animal control in his state, told me that if you have running water in your home, AC is OK with that. Even if you don't have it in your barn or running from a hose to your fields, your property has water available for your animals and that's good enough. Whether or not you actually take the water out to your animals doesn't seem to be their concern.

AC in my part of NJ is really bad and everyone knows it.

It's a shame your neighbor's animals are being kept that way; sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now you'll worry.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    So, what tschotschke did they bring you back? A shotglass? Too-large tie-dyed t-shirt?

yes, we want to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

They were lucky to enlist you & your husband to care for their horses when they were gone. They should have left the water tank full with electric heaters avalable that worked when needed. The hoses should have been drained and the faucets working in freezing temperatures.

I live less than 1/2 hr from Louisburg. I guess you would consider me a horrible horse owner. My horses were out without blankets during the snow (1"-3") that morning and on the one night that the temperature dipped into the single digit. My horse's are in good weight, hairy, healthy and I have no plans to blanket them during our normal Ks winters. If one becomes sick, has a problem or drops weight I will blanket. I used to keep show coats during the winter, I know longer care or have a need for that.

The day after our so called 'blizzard' the temperature was in the mid 40's. The next day in the high 50's. Our days & nights did not return to below freezing until the 24th. Didn't the hoses and faucet thaw out then? Our tank heater was turned off those days.

Are the geese in cages or do they have their wings clipped?
    Ponds and lakes were not completely froze over, ours are still not. They could have flown to the unfrozen areas for water. By the way, I can't stand geese. very dirty & obnoxious

Once again, I commend you for the care you gave those horses. I hope my friends who cover for me when I am out of town provide the same care and attention you did to those horses. Their owners need a realitly check and owe you greatly. I hope they know that and appreciate what you and your husband did

3 members found this post helpful.

We are headed out of town soon and this thread, if nothing else, has made me very aware of the extra precautions that need to be in place in case the weather turns.

I've already put backups in place for my backups, and I might fill an extra tub of water in the barn in case the pipes freeze. Which has never happened, but ya never know.

7 members found this post helpful.

I have been waiting for an update. Interested to hear what happened when they returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Tap View Post
    I have been waiting for an update. Interested to hear what happened when they returned.
    probably nothing....
    not even a cheesy T shirt...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We know already. KR has begun work on that wonderful tackroom and is thinking about something totally different, which is a Good Thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    We know already. KR has begun work on that wonderful tackroom and is thinking about something totally different, which is a Good Thing.

when I grow up I want to be like her!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    when I grow up I want to be like her!
    Growing up is over-rated...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

the fact that these people had a person coming in to feed dogs/geese, and then went and asked someone else to "take a look" at the horses strongly suggests to me that they KNEW much more needed to be done. If they thought everything was hunky-dory why wouldn't they have just asked the poor dog feeder to "take a look" at the horses in passing?
    no, they KNEW the water setup had failed and thus they lined up some people to fix it for them while they bolted.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    probably nothing....
    not even a cheesy T shirt...
    Wrong, she did get something, a text, saying 'thanks, horses look great' awesome huh?

For those of you who have those above ground hydrants, you can buy heated tape to wrap around the pipe and handle to help keep it thawed. Now it doesn't work on mine, as the frost line here in Alberta, is around 36" deep. So i have to stick to the 140ish feet of hose and hot water for the spigot.

I so want one of those no freeze hoses! The weight and length of hose to lug around is such a huge PITA, and If it's really cold, I have to boogy to get the water started or the hose will freeze! Even of it's been drained, there's always a little bit of water hiding.

I'm late to the party but, lawd, sounds like the people I 'farm sat' for a couple years back. I had been to the place multiple times before so didn't feel the need to go over prior to them leaving - I knew there was no shelter in the pastures, but horses all had blankets. Told them that I had a rotator cuff tear and wouldn't be able to lift/restack/etc and they told me that's perfectly fine, it's all set up.

Not three hours after they leave I get a text saying "I forgot the farrier is coming tomorrow, could you hold horses for him?" I didn't have anything going on, so I did. They did not leave payment for him.

That night I realize that there are 9 bales of hay left in the barn....and I'm going to need at least 20 to get through their vacation, and that's only if the weather didn't turn. Ask them about it, they left a check, but I'm going to have to find hay and go pick it up....oh, and don't try this list of hay guys because they won't sell to us anymore.

I was livid, because they knew they didn't leave enough hay, and knew that I couldn't stack/unload hay myself. Thankfully, one of her students was in town and I managed to get some help from her.

Oh, and because they knew my rates for sitting, I didn't think anything of not verifying the cost to them. They gave me $50 for the whole week and a half. When I reminded them of my rates, they asked if I could write the rest off as a tax deduction once they got their non-profit status.

Good. Lord. Never again.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Default Ok since you asked WWYD...

You did exactly what I would have done and picked up the slack for these idiots and you did right by the horses. They were very lucky that you and your DH (gem gem gem) where there.

Although at this point I wouldn't be able to just 'Let it go'. I would have to at least try to let them know that what they did was completely unacceptable. If not in best interest of the horses, then at least for the poor kind soul who agrees to 'look in' on their animals next time. I'd also be really curious to find out why they thought it was okay to leave their animals like they did.

I am about the most non confrontational person you could ever meet, but if you trigger one of my hot button issues - pets, children, or the disabled, I will take issue. What they did was just not cool.

This wouldn't be something I would do via text or phone, this would have to be a scheduled face to face. I'd schedule a coffee or lunch with this gal and I would let her know the agenda up front.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    That night I realize that there are 9 bales of hay left in the barn....and I'm going to need at least 20 to get through their vacation, and that's only if the weather didn't turn. Ask them about it, they left a check, but I'm going to have to find hay and go pick it up....oh, and don't try this list of hay guys because they won't sell to us anymore.

I was livid, because they knew they didn't leave enough hay, and knew that I couldn't stack/unload hay myself. Thankfully, one of her students was in town and I managed to get some help from her.
    Regarding this, I would have called the local feed store and have them deliver and stack unless that is not available. I took care of a "friend's" horses for a month while she looked for a place to board when she moved out of town. I had to buy hay, get DH to help me unload it, feed her horses once a day (they had pasture as well), for a month! Then when I asked for the money I laid out for her hay it took her another month for me to get it and she said if I was a friend, I wouldn't have asked to be repaid. I'm supposed to buy her horses hay and not expect to be paid back? What planet does she live on?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

[QUOTE=Mtn trails;6761639] she said if I was a friend, I wouldn't have asked to be repaid.QUOTE]

And your answer should have been : ''Since we are not friend anymore, I want my money now!''

9 members found this post helpful.