The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    You know, I don't mind if it's -30 just as long as there is no wind! I can work outside all day in the cold, but the wind will kill me within a couple of hours.
    That is a strange thing about the part of OR I live in. I can go outside in way-below-freezing weather in practically T-shirt sleeves and do fine for short periods. As long as the wind isn't blowing. It's so dry here (amazing we have so much snow), cold temps don't necessarily mean cold weather.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

How I envy people who can just call up a peripheral acquaintance to look after their horses while they scram outta town in the middle of a blizzard! Chutzpah on so epic a scale is an extraordinary thing to contemplate.

It's no secret that fortune favors the bold. For example, I would never have had the balls to do what those people did. Hell, I don't even leave my horses on their own for a trip to the store if it's raining. And what do I have to show for my timidity and caution? Lazy friends who have never been inconvenienced for one second by my horses, and no vacation for years. Color me chumpy.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    How I envy people who can just call up a peripheral acquaintance to look after their horses while they scram outta town in the middle of a blizzard! Chutzpah on so epic a scale is an extraordinary thing to contemplate.
    Givers and takers. Personally, I'd rather be a giver, but I do know that NO is a complete sentence.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

sooooo, have they arrived yet?

I am dyeing to hear what compensation they have in store for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well ... the saga continues. DH went over this morning to take more water for the ladies, and has been wondering all along why they have been going through so much water.

So, while he's there, he runs into Kind Soul #2 -- the poor fellow who got roped into watching the dogs and the geese.

Seems there was NO water for the poor geese, and he has been dipping out of the horses' trough to give them some. He says they go crazy for it when he gives it to them, they are so thirsty. Of course, the water freezes, so they only get what he dips out until he comes back in the evening and has to dip out again because what he left in the morning is frozen solid. He felt so bad that DH had been hauling water over for horses, and he had been scooping it out for the geese -- but what was he to do?

The dogs ran out of food several days ago, he says, and he has been feeding them from his own pocket. The geese are about to run out of food, too.

Kind Soul #2 and DH hit it off immediately, but I doubt either of them will ever agree to "help out" again! KS#2 thought they were going to be home yesterday, but I was told today. I sure hope they do come back today, because DH says his knees can't take this any more!

in what states is this place located? I only ask as rules on horsekeeping vary at the local level.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

So Kind Soul #2 was locked out of a way to provide water to the geese? How about the dogs? How were they getting water?

Why didn't you guys just take a hatchet to the back door to get to some water and let them heat the great outdoors for a while? I'm sure the bill would make them think twice about waltzing off like that again.

ETA OK, I understand that one of the things about living anywhere in the country, anywhere that you're far from the social services safety net like fire and police, is that you have to be prepared and you have to help your neighbors. One day you may be the one needing help. But there are some folks out there that just don't make it easy. They either are never ever prepared and can never help you out on the day that YOU need it or they just do things that make it so that the likelihood you'lll ever call on them is slim to nonexistant. Like take out your fence or leave huge ruts in the driveway or break your stuff. I'd say that being asked to help by somebody that lives 10 miles away is a dead giveaway that they've run through every neighbor they've got. Granted my trainer asked me once to check on her place - 7 miles away and on the way home from my work and all I was doing was being a third set of eyes.

Here's hoping that storm lets them come home on time.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Dec. 27, 2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Takers is right
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Just wow. The only saving grace to this situation is that these low-lifers asked you and KS#2 to take care of their animals. Because most anybody else - except for hard-core animal lovers and keepers like you - would have given up days ago.

We all knew David was a keeper. But really. This goes beyond any doubt.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Thank goodness there are people like you, your husband and kind soul #2.

I shudder to think what would happen to those poor animals if an irresponsible person were asked to help out.

I also find it disturbing this person hasn't called to check in to make sure everything is okay, and who goes away without making sure there is ample food for their animals?!

Bless all three of you for making sure all those critters are okay.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Well ... the saga continues. DH went over this morning to take more water for the ladies, and has been wondering all along why they have been going through so much water.

So, while he's there, he runs into Kind Soul #2 -- the poor fellow who got roped into watching the dogs and the geese.

Seems there was NO water for the poor geese, and he has been dipping out of the horses' trough to give them some. He says they go crazy for it when he gives it to them, they are so thirsty. Of course, the water freezes, so they only get what he dips out until he comes back in the evening and has to dip out again because what he left in the morning is frozen solid. He felt so bad that DH had been hauling water over for horses, and he had been scooping it out for the geese -- but what was he to do?

The dogs ran out of food several days ago, he says, and he has been feeding them from his own pocket. The geese are about to run out of food, too.

Kind Soul #2 and DH hit it off immediately, but I doubt either of them will ever agree to "help out" again! KS#2 thought they were going to be home yesterday, but I was told today. I sure hope they do come back today, because DH says his knees can't take this any more!
    Invite KS over for New Years! it should be a fun party!

Poor geese!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Do I recall it was twelve miles one way to get to their place? If so I'm guessing they've ruined all options that are closer to their place.

The geese did me in. I was open to the idea the spouses had each thought that the other took care of the horses. But running out of dog food and now the poor birds.

Asshats.

Those poor geese! They drink a ton of water, all day long, they should never be without. Most also won't break ice like horses do to get to water, they also rely on grass for the majority of their diet, the owners should have made sure there was enough food to make up the difference.

OP you have a great husband to take over while you have been sick.

7 members found this post helpful.

I have no idea how you will manage to not punch these people in the throat the next time you see them. A**hats!!!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

4 members found this post helpful.

Most also won't break ice like horses do to get to water
    Some horses won't break ice.

1 members found this post helpful.

So how will you know they've returned? Somehow they don't strike me as the type to make a courtesy "we're home" phone call.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    It's so interesting to think of how differently this story could be spun. You're choosing to be ugly about something that a real friend or even kindly stranger would handle...
    BS!!!

You're 100% mistaken. Some of the issues, yes. But ALL sources of water frozen?! AND no blankets during a blizzard? AND no shelter?

I'll bet your horses in Montana have shelter? Even natural shelter? They're probably not outside naked without any shelter???

Give me a break!

I know not everybody coddles their horses, but this is clearly a case of inadequate care for the conditions.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

14 members found this post helpful.

To be clear, the horses did have blankets. They did not have shelter, and I personally think that is inadequate. Especially given that they are penned into a relatively small area without natural shelter either -- literally exposed to the elements. But, honestly, that is not all that uncommon out here. Not my preference, I wouldn't do it, but with rugs, a round bale and warmed water, it would pass for okay around here.

I think the biggest issues here are that two people skipped out of town without making proper arrangements for their animals -- a reliable, ready source of warm, flowing water, dogs in a kennel or otherwise under control, and (as we find out) adequate feed. They asked me if I would just sort of drop by and make sure nobody had injured themselves or tried to commit suicide or something. The horses were supposed to have been self-sufficient.

They were not. Nor were the geese. Nor were the dogs. The imposition these people made was above-and-beyond the call of duty for anyone. The only way this would have been acceptable would be if they'd been suddenly called away due to illness or death in the family or some such and not been prepared to be gone for a week during December. Sure, that could happen to anyone and we would hope our neighbors would step up and help. But that is not what happened here.

I take responsibility for not having thoroughly investigated ahead of time. If I'd known, I would not have agreed. Now I know.

I got a text message from them and they are home. They thanked me and said the horses look wonderful. And they do. 'Nuff said. Lesson learned.

20 members found this post helpful.

LOL, real charmers!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    To be clear, the horses did have blankets.

Although, iirc, they hadn't bothered to put them on before they left.

Glad they're home. May you not run into them for a long time.

1 members found this post helpful.

The dog food did me in and the geese didn't help.

When I posted earlier I was willing to wait and see how it turned out-I will concede they were majorly out of bounds.

Glad they're home and you're off the hook!