The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Fifty dollars for a week and a half? My rates for live in housesitting and pet care were higher than that in 1976! Good Gawd, what is wrong with people.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Regarding this, I would have called the local feed store and have them deliver and stack unless that is not available. I took care of a "friend's" horses for a month while she looked for a place to board when she moved out of town. I had to buy hay, get DH to help me unload it, feed her horses once a day (they had pasture as well), for a month! Then when I asked for the money I laid out for her hay it took her another month for me to get it and she said if I was a friend, I wouldn't have asked to be repaid. I'm supposed to buy her horses hay and not expect to be paid back? What planet does she live on?
    Gracious! Some people, I swear! Yeah, this lady had burned bridges with many many people and producers and I'm not sure the local feed store had any hay at that point anyway (middle of winter during the hay shortage).

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Fifty dollars for a week and a half? My rates for live in housesitting and pet care were higher than that in 1976! Good Gawd, what is wrong with people.
    Trust me, I charge a LOT more than that! And she knew it.....I was so angry...too angry to even bother with attempting to get my money. Can't get blood from a turnip.

Let's just say I *ahem* ended my professional relationship with her
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

No kidding! I *pay* more than that per DAY!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    No kidding! I *pay* more than that per DAY!
    Likewise!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I barn sat for a friend for three years or so every fall when they went to a big show. I stayed at their house so I could take care of their two dogs and 18 horses. I worked full time and took care of all those horses (1/2 in stalls) and still had to go home to take care of my animals/family. It was a ton of work for that week. The first year they gave me $800 between gifts and cash. The second year about half that and the last year they bought me a barrette It actually cost me money to house/barn sit for them. When they asked me last year I was busy People really suck sometimes!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Glad they finally got home and you are not stuck dealing with that anymore. What idiots.

I had to leave town on short notice (family death) a month after I brought my horses home. Imagine how horrified I was when I had my daily conversation with my friend who was house sitting to be told we had an unseasonable cold snap (early November) and it was single digits and the hose and the small water trough was frozen solid. Heck, I did not even own a trough heater yet.

She thankfully handled it all like a pro (brought the house inside, broke out the ice, etc) for which I have always been grateful.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    the fact that these people had a person coming in to feed dogs/geese, and then went and asked someone else to "take a look" at the horses strongly suggests to me that they KNEW much more needed to be done. If they thought everything was hunky-dory why wouldn't they have just asked the poor dog feeder to "take a look" at the horses in passing?
    no, they KNEW the water setup had failed and thus they lined up some people to fix it for them while they bolted.
    At first I thought this sounded like it might be a little bit of a stretch, but then I got to thinking that these people basically pulled the horsekeeping equivalent of farting in an elevator.

And true to the formula, they exited quickly and hoped nobody would notice the stink they left behind. KR I'm so sorry you got stuck with all that but you and your DH certainly handled it with class.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    and the last year they bought me a barrette ...
    But....was it a really NICE barrette?

(sorry, just so completely inadequate...18 horses!)

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    At first I thought this sounded like it might be a little bit of a stretch, but then I got to thinking that these people basically pulled the horsekeeping equivalent of farting in an elevator.

And true to the formula, they exited quickly and hoped nobody would notice the stink they left behind. KR I'm so sorry you got stuck with all that but you and your DH certainly handled it with class.
    you mean like 'damn, Honey, the extension cord broke and the hose froze'
    'Hurry up, we can still make it to town before the Blizzard gets any worse!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett