The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 189
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,937

    Default

    I'd be tempted to remove all warm bodies to my place and charge her board.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Dec. 24, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2006
    Location
    The rocky part of KY
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Agree with RDR. In the moment I suppose they could have forgotten to plug in the heater and I suppose the spigot and hoses could have caught them off-guard, but what polite person doesn't leave a frantically apologetic call saying these froze and you can get water from the hydrant *here*, or the housekey is here to get water out of the house if you bring unfrozen hoses or something - or even that they weren't worried if the horses went without water for the day? that it might have taken for the blizzard to blow through (but who would just come out and say that either).

    No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. Sorry KR.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    506

    Default

    To the original question, what would I do(?), I would do what the OP is already doing, fixing the ridiculous water situation, throw things at the dogs, and make sure none of the horses are suffering. I would not call in AC, send pictures to the owners, or handle those dogs at all. When the owners returned I would mention the problem of the loose dogs with poor manners and decline to do them any favors in the future.

    We get snow here nearly every year but the temps don't stay below freezing for very long. Both my horses have shelters but when it's snowing they both prefer to stand out in it and let it build up on their unblanketed backs. Who knows why. It doesn't seem to cause them any harm.

    OP, I hope the next few days pass quickly for you.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Both my horses have shelters but when it's snowing they both prefer to stand out in it and let it build up on their unblanketed backs. Who knows why. It doesn't seem to cause them any harm.
    Speaking of unblanketed backs...I looked out this morning and my guys were literally covered in snow. Not from snowfall, oh no, from lying down and rolling in a nice deep pocket. They made some spectacular horse snow angels.

    I've been concerned about tendons and strains to various body parts but if I were really pen them up and cramp their style, I am sure they would more likely hurt themselves by being irked than just letting them be hosses. So, I have plenty of Absorbine and the other stuff, Thermo-something, for just in case.

    I think I kind of misunderstood about the horses having blankies and no shelter. Out here in the great empty, a lot of horses only have a barbed wire fence between them and the North Pole. Some horses get lucky (??) and get a major bad weather blanket, and that's it. No one who I know uses a neck hood. Just the blankie. As for the nekkid horses in the pastures, I've yet to see a dead one lying out. We must have extra tough horses!!

    But for the rest of it, I'm going to backtrack and say just keep doing what you're doing, if they ask (they did ask and you can't lie), tell them in a polite/firm way and move on. I say polite/firm because it sounds like you're in farm country and manners mean a lot... as out where I live in ranching country.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    About the dogs, your presence probably gets them worked up. I would guess that they follow you up to check the pasture, chase the mares for fun, and as soon as you leave, they get bored and go back to sleep on the porch.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post

    ETA: I would not send a text, I would be on the phone to these folks right away.
    As you now realize, that was good advice! Texting gives people an out.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Well then...I'd throw a dead deer in their pool.
    I know the chicken in the oven thread tops the list of most people's favorite threads, but that deer in the pool thread had me spellbound!
    A helmet saved my life.

    2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    This is just a bit of talking behind someone's back. I'm sorta chuckling at the struggling up and down steep frozen stuff, fussing at the Montanan from...Kansas. While I know there are elevation changes in KS....it ain't exactly rugged.

    Who knows? Maybe the wife thought the SO set the water up and the SO thought the wife did. One time a zillion years ago I meant to top off the big tank and left the water on...for two days thank goodness it was pond water, not city water. Now we've never reversed that error and left them dry but still.

    I don't know- I know CBM and I can hear her voice and hear where she's coming from. Crap in the water tank might be pine cones and gum balls off of a gum tree vs. truly dangerous crap in the tank. I leave a board in the tank for squirrels that fall in. Sometimes there's hay and even bird feathers where the birds took a bath. Horrors. Or maybe it really is super nasty and KR should be grossed out. I don't know.

    What I hear as much as anything in KR's tone is I didn't WANT to do this, now I AM doing this, I don't WANT to do this, dammit. Well, next time say no. Or say Let me come see. I think in her aggravation at the frozen spigot situation...she's blowing it up a little b/c she's ill with herself. Sometimes when we post things we tart them up for effect to make sure it rolls the way we want it to.

    As for poster's having street cred vs. unknowns...may I present Pinto Piaffe as the poster child of a counter point. Or Grataan who says she's a vet, but she isn't.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    While I disagree with some of Cowboymoms ideas, it is the TONE of her post that is off-putting.

    One can offer one's opinion without implying that the OP is an idiot.


    Carry on.
    To be honest, it was the "tone" of this entire post that put me off. Who knows what the story was with the water, maybe they are screwballs but four pages of "call Animal Control b/c they didn't have shelter" was starting to get a little weary to me. The "tone" that these people that used to be somewhat friendly with the OP are now complete and total jerks and idiots after trusting someone to come help them out over Christmas... meh, didn't sit right with me.

    I totally get taking on watching a person's place and it turns into wwwaaayyy more than you bargained for-but going from "yeah I'll be nice and do a favor" to "bashing them for four pages on the internet" just bothers me and I spoke up. I'm sorry if you don't like my "tone" but that's what makes the world go 'round, I guess.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    43,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    To be honest, it was the "tone" of this entire post that put me off. Who knows what the story was with the water, maybe they are screwballs but four pages of "call Animal Control b/c they didn't have shelter" was starting to get a little weary to me. The "tone" that these people that used to be somewhat friendly with the OP are now complete and total jerks and idiots after trusting someone to come help them out over Christmas... meh, didn't sit right with me.

    I totally get taking on watching a person's place and it turns into wwwaaayyy more than you bargained for-but going from "yeah I'll be nice and do a favor" to "bashing them for four pages on the internet" just bothers me and I spoke up. I'm sorry if you don't like my "tone" but that's what makes the world go 'round, I guess.
    So, should we assume that in Montana you think it is ok to leave horses alone for several days with minimal water and any other way of watering them frozen, for a neighbor you barely know and asked to check on the horses as a favor, to have to haul water from their house?
    What if the neighbor didn't notice the mostly empty and all frozen tank?


    11 members found this post helpful.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    This is just a bit of talking behind someone's back. I'm sorta chuckling at the struggling up and down steep frozen stuff, fussing at the Montanan from...Kansas. While I know there are elevation changes in KS....it ain't exactly rugged.

    When I used to drive through Kansas in my big rig, I often thought I could have put bungee cords on the steering wheel and then lie down in the bunk for a nap. Of course, I didn't do that but it's that flat and the roads are that straight.

    Who knows? Maybe the wife thought the SO set the water up and the SO thought the wife did. One time a zillion years ago I meant to top off the big tank and left the water on...for two days

    I hear ya... I once left the water running most of the day and into the evening. Had my own Lake Placid out between the house and barn. Hubby was not amused.

    As for poster's having street cred vs. unknowns...may I present Pinto Piaffe as the poster child of a counter point.
    What was the final edict on PP?? I never read it or heard about it.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  11. #91
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    What was the final edict on PP?? I never read it or heard about it.
    she got hammered.
    sort of.
    She was found guilty of ONE count of neglect/abuse I am guessing for the lack of shelter.
    And banned from owning horses for two years.

    From what I heard, the stallion owner hot him back, but DDB filly got lost in channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.



  12. #92
    Join Date
    Aug. 31, 2006
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Just want to say that I never advocated calling animal control. I just went back to re-read my first post to see whether, in my anger, I might have "tarted it up." I did not. The situation was exactly as I described it. I think anyone would have been angry to realize that someone had walked out leaving you to fight the elements (and dogs) when a simple check on their part before leaving would have revealed a near empty water tank and unplugged heater.

    I did not call them and say come home, I did not send photos or call a/c. In fact, my question was whether this was something I should mention when they get back, or just walk away. Part of my questioning was to see how others might respond ... am I over-reacting? Would you be upset, or would you say meh, stuff happens?

    CBM, you made some good points and I do appreciate your take on it. And if this came out as bashing, then shame on me. That is not the right thing to do.

    I did learn a lot from this. I appreciate my husband more than ever! I will never agree to watch anyone's animals, or even just drop in to check, without a thorough, personal inspection. If I had gone over the day before, the whole thing might have been avoided if I just said, this water tank is almost empty and, hey, the heater is not plugged in, and what do you do for water when it's 8 degrees outside? Do the dogs always torment the horses like that? Are you going to have them under control while you are gone?

    So in the end who is the real "idiot?" I guess that would be me.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,724

    Default

    KR, no this is not your fault, sometimes the public BB goes nuts on real life problems. I think you are just stuck in a tough spot, I read this thread since I do hire pet sitters and wanted to know how bad things can get....I board my horses so feeding a bucket is the most I request.

    I think maybe OT is s bit overdue.....


    6 members found this post helpful.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    From what I heard, the stallion owner hot him back, but DDB filly got lost in channels.
    DDB filly?? Can you refresh my memory, either here or send me a pm? Just curious because I have wondered a few times....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  15. #95
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Just want to say that I never advocated calling animal control. I just went back to re-read my first post to see whether, in my anger, I might have "tarted it up." I did not. The situation was exactly as I described it. I think anyone would have been angry to realize that someone had walked out leaving you to fight the elements (and dogs) when a simple check on their part before leaving would have revealed a near empty water tank and unplugged heater.

    I did not call them and say come home, I did not send photos or call a/c. In fact, my question was whether this was something I should mention when they get back, or just walk away. Part of my questioning was to see how others might respond ... am I over-reacting? Would you be upset, or would you say meh, stuff happens?

    CBM, you made some good points and I do appreciate your take on it. And if this came out as bashing, then shame on me. That is not the right thing to do.

    I did learn a lot from this. I appreciate my husband more than ever! I will never agree to watch anyone's animals, or even just drop in to check, without a thorough, personal inspection. If I had gone over the day before, the whole thing might have been avoided if I just said, this water tank is almost empty and, hey, the heater is not plugged in, and what do you do for water when it's 8 degrees outside? Do the dogs always torment the horses like that? Are you going to have them under control while you are gone?

    So in the end who is the real "idiot?" I guess that would be me.

    Sucker, maybe. But not idiot.

    But the situation certainly deserves severe words with the owners.

    And bless you.
    but you should not have to be the poster child of 'no good deed goes unpunished'

    And yes, you will get maybe one ugly T-shirt, in an unflattering color, in a size neither you nor sweet marathon man can fit into.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    DDB filly?? Can you refresh my memory, either here or send me a pm? Just curious because I have wondered a few times....
    COTHs poster DayDreamBeliever had sold PP a filly at one point. AC took it and she was sold ....
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    9,309

    Default

    I disagree. You won't get some clearance table t-shirt you will immediately burn (or melt since it will be spandex/poly with a rubber emblem of some kind), but a ten year old nut roll from some roadside convenience store. Dig a big hole, and bury it before someone gets tempted to see how bad it is and either breaks a tooth, or gets sick.

    Some people take care of animals the way the learned. I had a realtive (he's been dead for years by the way) who, looking back, was a truly bad horseman, but he really didn't know any better. Some people never change the way they were taught, and it used to be that many people treated animals as commodities, and not something to be 'pampered' or 'spoiled' but that is what we consider much more normal today. This isn't an excuse, but maybe an explanation of why the animal owners didn't really care when the conditions were discovered.

    You did nothing wrong here, and I agree that you tried to be nice, and did wonderful things for the horses.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 24, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    I am sorry that this seems to be so much more than you expected or were willing to do.


    You said that there was someone coming in for the dogs. could you ask them to check water levels for the horses? and call you if there is a problem? And take a well deserved day or two off?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,919

    Default

    I know KR in real life. Have done a few thousand dollars worth of freelance work for her, without ever having met her, but have spoken to her many times. She is a non-crazy, non-whiny, standup gal who takes good care of animals, has good judgment, and could not be farther from being a classic COTH drama queen closet crazy. Seriously.

    If she says they left her a mess and 10x more work than advertised, in terms of dubious horse care and double annoying dog handling, I believe her. And CBM, you are not in the same time zone as being right about this.

    The fact is, leaving messes for others to clean up is bad manners, and in this case, is bad horsekeeping. There is nothing debatable about leaving town (!!!) with a frozen water tank and non-functional water tank heaters and hoses. The temperature at which water freezes has not changed recently. You can look it up. Rude and stupid.

    KR, glad you did right by the horses, sorry you found yourself in this annoying spot. Many humorously punitive / vengeful courses of action are appealing, but not realistic, particularly since the horses seem overall well enough cared for (good weight, foot care, etc.) Leave the ext. cord, shake your head, and move on.

    Why do people think leaving dogs outside & loose to fend for themselves is EVER ok? Regardless of the weather? (head desk, head desk, etc.)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09



    12 members found this post helpful.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    COTHs poster DayDreamBeliever had sold PP a filly at one point. AC took it and she was sold ....
    the short version did not include that DDB was strung along, led to believe that she could get the horse back, after all we are talking rare endangered breed, only to be basically accused of being just as bad as PP and there would be no way she was going to get her back.
    The mare dissappeared in channels.

    (but PP did not leave in the middle of a Blizzard to let her farm keeper deal with frozen everything)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone else have mares that like to foal on "holidays"
    By NorthHillFarm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May. 9, 2011, 12:34 AM
  2. The Reason for the Holidays--MLK Jr, "I Have A Dream"
    By Beentheredonethat in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan. 17, 2011, 08:43 PM
  3. "Why Horses and Monkeys Don't Make Good Friends"
    By CR Gorge Girl in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
  4. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!! From the "Horse's Mouth"!
    By karin@dutchbreeders@aol.com in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec. 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
  5. Pitbull "Dump Dog" (in TX) - Needs Home
    By Wild Oaks Farm in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2008, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •