The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

They suck. I just don't know what else to say. Who DOES that?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Poor horses (AND you)! Please tell me they at least have good turn-out rugs on..!

Could you recruit some one to move the trailer and put the horses in their shed? Sorry you are stuck w/this kind of krazy.

Okay, so you can't take their horses into your barn (personally, I wouldn't do it anyway knowing how some people can be, neglect or not and due to legal stuff), but, what about if you sent a text saying how gobsmacked you are when you found someone had taken the run-in shelter and the extension cord. The horse turned over the water tank (my Sammy does any excellent of this, where there is a will, there is a way) and you can't find a good hose, must have been snagged also. Someone must have locked their horses into the dry lot by mistake or mischief, just wanted to let you know type of thing.

Then sit back and see what happens.

Or, you can have a situ where you ask someone to feed two feedings, have a bucket for feed and the tank topped off, plenty of pasture, nothing to do except pour the grain in the bucket. Then you come home and find an unfamiliar pan sitting on the ground and all the feed rainbowed out because your horse has a bad habit of flipping a feed pan...which is why you bought a bucket and tied it to the wall in the first place... It was too simple to understand I guess...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I'd be pissed off too.
    What would I do?
    Trailer all 3 to my place where I could better care for them. Leave note about that for the dog-sitter.
    If I had a way to contact them, I'd tell them I had to move the horses, someone vandalized the hell out of their property and left broken junk all over and locked the animals in a spot without shelter and stole their run-in. And that I'm sure they understand because nobody could leave them in such a crappy situation...to do so would be neglect if not abuse. And I didn't want AC coming by and getting them in trouble.

Then listen to whatever bullspit they tried to use for excuses.

Then offer to give them the names and numbers of people who could come by and repair their property and put up safe shelter for the animals. And if they refused I'd tell them AC could also come help them by giving written advice on what they need to do to make a safe environment for those animals.

Always very nice and concerned-sounding.
    Brilliant! It really is about HOW you say it.

I'd say they never get the same person to care for the horses more than once..
    I would just be honest and call them asap and tell them how overwhelmed you are by the inadequate care, NO WATER, no shelter, and attacking dogs. And tell them it's not at all what you agreed to be responsible for. It's not your fault those poor horses have to live in hell don't let the assshats off easy.

11 members found this post helpful.

Realistically....as we've definitely explored all the things we'd LIKE to do...

Were it me, I'd do right by the horses--which I'm sure the OP IS doing.

And when the owners got back, I'd say something. But I'm still trying to formulate what that would be. Tough situation.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

6 members found this post helpful.

I'd continue to care for the animals as you have, trying to do the best I could with the situation and resources. I'd probably shoot them a text saying, "Hey, just wanted to check in and let you know how everything is going at home! The water trough was nearly empty and everything froze up I filled the tank and was able to get the tank heater plugged back in and working." or something along those lines. But I'm also really passive aggressive... If I had balls, I'd go with something more along the lines of what MB suggested.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Wow, I really sympathize. As a young person I frequently cared for other people's dogs, horses and farms when they were away, and I had a couple of similar scenarios where I just couldn't believe that the people--always very nice people with seemingly plenty of money--had up and left such a disorganized, unworkable, or inhumane disaster behind for someone else to deal with while they tootled off for their lovely vacation.

I just have to say, though, moving the horses would be a very bad plan on several levels. First of all, AC would not be on your side because the horses have hay and water. Secondly, you can't just up and take someone's animals without permission while they are on vacation. And thirdly, if anything, ANYTHING, went wrong with moving the horses or having them at your place, even if it was due to stress/dehydration from before you got there, you would be 100% responsible. People who abuse/neglect their own animals are sometimes mighty quick to blame others when something happens to those animals. Bless you for hauling water for those poor horses, though.

ETA: I would not send a text, I would be on the phone to these folks right away.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    I'd say they never get the same person to care for the horses more than once..
    I would just be honest and call them asap and tell them how overwhelmed you are by the inadequate care, NO WATER, no shelter, and attacking dogs. And tell them it's not at all what you agreed to be responsible for. It's not your fault those poor horses have to live in hell don't let the assshats off easy.
    Yeah, I think you're justified in going with "upset at conditions animals live in and pissed at amount of work left with" I'd feel free to call them now and wreck their vacation, but that's just me.

7 members found this post helpful.

I sent them a text about the frozen, nearly empty water tank, unplugged trough heater and frozen spigot and hoses. Told them I had hauled in water, brought an outdoor extension cord and plugged the trough heater back in. I also mentioned that dogs were loose and tormenting the horses. They wrote back, "Thanks."

Grrrrrrrr.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    I sent them a text about the frozen, nearly empty water tank, unplugged trough heater and frozen spigot and hoses. Told them I had hauled in water, brought an outdoor extension cord and plugged the trough heater back in. I also mentioned that dogs were loose and tormenting the horses. They wrote back, "Thanks."
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Well then.

I know I would call the animal control people in town and at least have a chat with them about what constitutes "neglect" and what their requirements are with regard to shelter, water and such. I would probably find a way to present that info to the owners.

Is it possible to pull the covered trailer out and somehow stash the horses under that roof, by moving any panels that might be about, or restructuring an electric fence?

I think it is not necessary to say that these people should not be "friends" anymore...

8 members found this post helpful.

id tell them to get their a$$ home and get the situation fixed because you are calling animal control for the lack of shelter and loose dogs.... im feeling a bit witchy, bring the loose dogs to ac and say you found them wandering. then tell owner oh pound cought your loose dogs and you need to retrive them!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post

Grrrrrrrr.
    Okay, then. Game on. Your choice, either wait till they get back or call them now, but, definitely tell them how the cow ate the cabbage in no uncertain terms how rotten it was of them to dump all this on you and treating their animals that way. I'd call AC about the dogs because do you know for sure they are their dogs or did they hop the fence into the place??

I would feel bad about the situation and horses/dogs but, good grief, these clowns need a read bat up side the head, read the riot act. So they don't ask you again, that's the way the cookie crumbles. You can't be a part of this. Now, they may be thinking of ways to get out of looking badly to you and possibly others and formulating a plan to blame you for things being out of control. I know that is far-fetched but the idjets left you with this in the first place, who knows what they will do in the future?? Just be careful and CYA big time!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ha! I've had a very similar situation happen as well. Tank refused to plug or hold water, water had to be trekked from across 1 acre (no motorized vehicle or tubs, just open buckets), pitchfork missing THREE tines and the only one on the property. Wheelbarrow with a flat, no pump, no flat repair, slogging mud to get to the manure pile, again, half a mile away.

This was actually a farm sitting JOB and I quoted them a ridiculously cheap price. Upon return, I told them they owed me X additional b/c of the equipment in disrepair, additional visits to fill the trough that was unpatchable, etc. etc. I never saw a dime of it, but they got the message. I also learned my lesson about not just touring the property, but examining tools and water source/ destination, path to manure pile, etc.

What I might do in your case, OP is take photos to CYA. Never underestimate people's ability to spin their neglect onto some unsuspecting 'helper'.

I'd also tell 'em... "Woopsie. I knew I said I'd do you a favor, but this turned out to be so much more work than I anticipated. It meant rearranging my schedule and I had to loose some work elsewhere while tending to XY and Z at your farm. Please pay me $40/day to cover my labor, time and expenses"

5 members found this post helpful.

no i wouldn't do the money request. That just gives them an out for their crap behavior.

Too disgusting to leave you with that mess.

The fact that she typed "Thanks" instead of at least "sorry" says a whole lot.

She's a con artist/user of people .

Call animal control. And the state horse agency.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That really sucks.

Is there anywhere else you can turn the horses out? Or is it only the dry lot? (That doesn't sound so dry.)

Can you lock the dogs in somewhere?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thanks. Really.

OK this is where texting falls down as a means of getting a message across, because it's really hard to imbue "you're welcome" with the correct level of sarcasm in text, whereas the spoken word can come in all ranges of tone, from bright and cheery to absolutely dripping with "you farking a$$".

I suppose that "you have no idea how welcome you are" might clue them in a little that things aren't actually going so well back at the ol' homestead.

How about locking the doggies in the shiny new trailer while you are there? Save trouble for you, and all that. Bwahahaha!

OK, now for what you can do, I'd tidy the part of the place that you have to deal with up to your standards, find a way to lock up the dogs by arriving with the dog feeder and you let them out when you have finished, either bill them for a replacement ext cord or take yours back before they get back, and fail to take their calls in future. So sorry.
    Getting AC to show up over the Xmas holiday is pretty slim, and I suppose you don't know the dog sitter and it's too late to take pictures of the tank. AC also has different views depending on the part of the country you are in - I know here we have the most beautiful horse farms in the world yet 60 miles away are filthy horses ankle deep in muck surrounded by loose falling down barbed wire and having to break ice out of the creek. You could most definitely make a complaint though.

I'll bet like someone else stated they never have the same farm sitter twice.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible